PDA

View Full Version : Which AC to try next?

Kaensehkmet
01-09-2018, 04:30 PM
I started with AC Origins and LOVE it and added Unity, Black Flag, and 3 when they had the xmas sale. Loved Unity too, but haven't enjoyed III so much (how the heck do you dismount the dang horse I accidentally got stuck on???!!) and while I like Black Flag a lot, I really really SUCK at the ship battles (any time you have to control a vehicle in a game, I generally suck at it and crash more than anything else). I will eventually finish Black Flag I am sure but the sailing parts get frustrating and I want to move to something else for a while.

So I am looking for opinions.

What I seem to love most is the epic feel of the world you can explore (Ancient Egypt has been a fascination of mine since childhood which is how Origins hooked me originally). I love walking around Paris in Unity. I am a history buff though mostly of European history so love seeing bits of history I know. The story line is not a huge concern to me - I tend to skip the main story missions for a long time and enjoy exploring and all the side quests and things you can do. I am not a fan of all the animus breaks and flipping back out to "modern" day. I am a casual player that likes to game as breaks during my day (I work for myself from home and sometimes just need to kill something lol). I am 54 year old woman so not a power gamer by any means lol. I have also played WoW for many years and Hearthstone is my quick break game of choice.

Knowing all this, which game would you guys recommend I try next??

I was thinking about Rogue. Part of me would like to start at 1 and go forward but, since I am not enjoying the game play of 3 that much, I wonder if this would be a waste of money and I should skip them?

I also don't know what season passes and the add on games are about - are they worth doing?

Oh and I play on PC. I have an Xbox 360 but suck even more at using the xbox controller :(

Thanks for your suggestions!

cawatrooper9
01-09-2018, 04:56 PM
If you liked Unity, you could try Syndicate!

Rogue is great for exploring, too! Lots of beautiful locations that the main story doesn't even touch. There is some boat stuff, but I'd say it's far less than in Black Flag.

Brotherhood and Revelations have pretty busy open worlds with really neat economic building sections. I'd probably play ACII first, though, unless you really don't mind literally jumping right into the middle of a story.

Kaensehkmet
01-09-2018, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the insight! I don't mind jumping into the story - not really following it that close any way.

Is AC 1 & 2 the same control system that AC3 uses? I find it really clunky and still cannot figure out how to dismount - going to have to start over and avoid horses it looks like :( Sort of leaning against them just because I'm thinking I like the "newer" combat/control systems like Unity.

Brotherhood sounds good too - was debating that one or Rogue really. Might go it over Rogue just because it's still Europe and might be a nice follow up after Unity :) I will probably wait for Syndicate to go on sale again before I add it to the collection :)

Where is Revelations set? Doesn't say in the shop description.

cawatrooper9
01-09-2018, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the insight! I don't mind jumping into the story - not really following it that close any way.

Is AC 1 & 2 the same control system that AC3 uses? I find it really clunky and still cannot figure out how to dismount - going to have to start over and avoid horses it looks like :( Sort of leaning against them just because I'm thinking I like the "newer" combat/control systems like Unity.

No problem!

AC1/2/Brotherhood/Revelations have, in my opinion, a much different control scheme than anything that came later, at least on console. Combat is still pretty counter based, but I think it feels like you have a lot more control of movement. Parkour, particularly in AC1, can be a bit unwieldy at times, at least until you get used to it. In fact, some people still swear by this era of parkour being the best.

What platform are you trying ACIII on? Maybe we can help figure out how to dismount.

Where is Revelations set? Doesn't say in the shop description.
For the most part, Revelations is set in Istanbul. It's one of my favorite settings in the series! ;)

Kaensehkmet
01-10-2018, 12:21 AM
I play on PC.

I do have one of the AC games for my xbox 360 - it's whichever one starts by you having to keep up with someone running along the rooftops and after like 100 tries, I gave up on it. I fail that very first mission every single time :( (did I mention I suck at using xbox controllers? lol)

Petrolea
01-11-2018, 04:42 PM
As a fellow PC gamer, yes the controles for ACI, II (incl Brotherhood and Reveletions) and III are the same. Though they didn't bother me then, they're hard to get used to when I go back now, so I get what you mean.
Personally I loved following the entire timeline from start to finish, but based on gameplay alone, and what you haven't played yet, I think you'd enjoy Rogue a lot, though it does also have naval battles. Syndicate is also great, though it took me a long time to get anywhere near adequate in driving the horse carriages around (which thankfully is optional in most missions, though sometimes unavoidable).

Dismounting the horse in ACIII... I'd have to check to know for sure but isn't it just the "E" button? I think if the horse is moving you have to tap twice, but if it's standing still only once, or mayby hold it for a little bit like in Origins. I think I've still got it installed on my pc so I'll have a quick check later and report back if it's anything else.
EDIT: I've not had a chance to check yet but if "E" doesn't work, try the spacebar in the same way stated above.

Petrolea
01-11-2018, 08:17 PM
Dismounting the horse in ACIII... I'd have to check to know for sure but isn't it just the "E" button? I think if the horse is moving you have to tap twice, but if it's standing still only once, or mayby hold it for a little bit like in Origins. I think I've still got it installed on my pc so I'll have a quick check later and report back if it's anything else.

Yup, definitely the E button, press it once when stationary to get off, twice when in motion to jump off.
Hope it helps :)

Kaensehkmet
01-16-2018, 08:18 PM
I swear I tried every button but yeah, the E does work! Thanks :)

Kaensehkmet
02-20-2018, 01:06 AM
I went ahead and picked up ACI and Syndicate during the last sale - yeah, I'm going to end up with ALL of them I am sure lol. Have't played 1 much yet, but I am really liking Syndicate so far. Only level 4 atm so long way to go, but it has a similar feel to Unity and I really like playing Evie :) Only part I hate is the need to drive the coaches - I apologize for all the trampled civilians and broken light poles since I cannot drive straight in games to save my life! Would be nice if you could hire a rook to drive you and just ride lol.