PDA

View Full Version : Why is highlander in the game

SaschoS
01-07-2018, 11:02 AM
Highlander is f useless unless if you are fighting in max gear against no gear players

dimQ.
01-07-2018, 01:19 PM
Is one of my favored characters, and i think one of the hardest to play fighters,but, yeah, he need a bit of devs love, especially recovery time after full combo, and ability to stop (feint) "celtic curse"

Card1acArrest
01-07-2018, 01:48 PM
i feel the same about him and valkyrie. i like her the best and play her alot even if she is weaker than many other classes.
so I think highlander just needs a little bit of love to make him usable? Margins are very small in this game? :D

for example if i used that counterhit more often i would do way better..dunno

Enollis
01-07-2018, 02:54 PM
Really? Highlanders do their Bayblade move as I call it and that's hard enough to react because of obvious reasons. It's that flickering all over again. And after a combo you're just damn dead at least as assassin. You can't roll away in most cases because the range of those swords is like 3 meters or idfk. and you ask for a buff? I think he's pretty balanced. There are far worse things the devs should concentrate on right now. Let them first do the dedicated servers. Also Gear stats!. I you don't have good regen you probably geared wrong. I really detest highlander tbh. They are ok to handle but they are really ugly and I don't like those big swords.

JadeBosson.
01-08-2018, 01:32 AM
Highlanders kick *** daily I personally get my *** kicked using them but hey I've seen godlike sprees from other players

SenBotsu893
01-08-2018, 02:10 AM
he has actually quite a good kit but its not easy to use.

all direction chrushing counter is damn good.

hyper on every heavy is also damn good.

easy access to unblockables is a 4v4 saver.

and despite what people say he has actually many fast attacks. his of lights are just not used enough because people struggle with the buttons.
and his celtic curse mix up has even dodge frames and is a 600 ms heavy attack wich is on the fast side of heavys.

Tundra 793
01-08-2018, 02:11 AM
Really? Highlanders do their Bayblade move as I call it and that's hard enough to react because of obvious reasons. It's that flickering all over again. And after a combo you're just damn dead at least as assassin. You can't roll away in most cases because the range of those swords is like 3 meters or idfk. and you ask for a buff? I think he's pretty balanced. There are far worse things the devs should concentrate on right now. Let them first do the dedicated servers. Also Gear stats!. I you don't have good regen you probably geared wrong.

That move can be dodged, blocked and parried. If you're struggling against it, you just gotta practice your best way to react to it, because it's actually a pretty mediocre move. A lot of PC Highlanders actually say it's unviable because they get parried too often.
The Highlander's combos, while they can do good damage, are all very slow and can also be dodged, blocked and parried.
Keep in mind that the Highlander has the same health as most of the Assassins as well.

People have been saying the Highlander needs some love since the day he launched, but even now, he's virtually in the exact same state as he was when he launched, which is at best, mediocre. Hero balancing, and dedicated servers also don't really affect each other, as I'm pretty sure they have seperate teams dedicated to each task.

I really detest highlander tbh. They are ok to handle but they are really ugly and I don't like those big swords.

They're handsomly rugged.

he has actually quite a good kit but its not easy to use.

all direction chrushing counter is damn good.

Yes! It's difficult to pull of consistently, but it's a great life saver and combo breaker.

hyper on every heavy is also damn good.

Yes, but the hyper armor activates really, really late into the heavy attack, leaving you vulnurable for longer.

easy access to unblockables is a 4v4 saver.

It has its moments, but you still get knocked out of Offensive Stance too easily, so in 4v4 you're damn near cursed to staying in defensive.

and despite what people say he has actually many fast attacks. his of lights are just not used enough because people struggle with the buttons.
and his celtic curse mix up has even dodge frames and is a 600 ms heavy attack wich is on the fast side of heavys.

His lights, while one of the fastests moves in the game, is also one of the worst. It consumes too much stamina, and does very little damage.
Celtic Curse is a decent move true, but like I mentioned before, it can be dodged, blocked and parried.

bob333e
01-08-2018, 02:14 AM
Why is highlander in the game

Because he's done his glass and has nothing else to do, so he just kills time with the rest of us in PvP.

https://i.imgur.com/vaXKfuJ.gif

Tundra 793
01-08-2018, 02:19 AM
Because he's done his glass and has nothing else to do, so he just kills time with the rest of us in PvP.

https://i.imgur.com/vaXKfuJ.gif

https://i.imgflip.com/11lsar.jpg

SaschoS
01-08-2018, 10:48 AM
Yea prolly highlander is just another a little better designed champ than centurion making only few moves viable (I am glad that he can slice noob assassin's) and you need to really work hard with him cause prolly he is useless until you put some real gear on him. In duels I think he is ok. But still poorly designed champ with little to none testing behind and oh yes he is my favourite floor-slider.

Kahuf1
01-08-2018, 11:21 AM
Hi there, HL is my main and i love his playstyle. Everybody agree he need some buff. Someone tell he need just stats buff like HP, stamina, other times. Someone tell he need some more moves and combination.

My opinion is here:
1. He need some HP + stamina buff + earlier supperior armour on heavy
2. Make him MORE TECHNICAL FIGHTER (give him one or more points bottom)
- Give offensive light stun effect
- Offensive light consume less Stamina
- Offensive light drain stamina from enemy
- Be able to feint offensive side heavy to offensive top light
- Give him some new feature to change turtle meta. IDEA: HL do heavy attack. Enemy defent (not parry) that. HL have like 150ms window to press GB to do some kind of shoulder bash move. He can continue with some light (maybe guaranted), heavy, or can enter to offensive stance.

Give this turtle destroyer to all heros with huge weapon. It make sence cause 2handed weapon on heavy swing get weapon udner attackers back and defenders weapon is out of "prepared stance" so why dont jump by feets by shoulder to enemy try to make unstable enemy? BTW 2 handed weapons guys IS big enought to do that.

The_B0G_
01-08-2018, 01:26 PM
I've been playing HL more than all other classes for the last three months and he definitely needs a buff, like someone else said, hes in the same spot he was in when he released, getting used to him only helped people defend against him, it didn't really help people who play as him nearly as much.

To be a really good HL right now you need to be really good at crushing counters. Besides that, every opener is a defensive light, Celtic curse is good but against defensive players it's parried a LOT because it's obvious and the most used attack in his arsenal.

I think his kit could work without changing attack speeds, but the other numbers need to be adjusted, for instance he has the ability to trade with hyper armor heavies but if someone is spamming light attacks you still get interrupted. Even when you do trade its not worth it most of the time due to his small health pool. I personally only try to trade to finish off opponents.

Another thing is his stamina usage, its hard to finish off even an assassin without taking a break in your attacks, sure if you don't use feint and he misses every block, dodge, and parry, you can; but if not you have to give up your pressure and let your stamina recharge, basically resetting the fight and giving them a chance to reset.

For such a technical fighter with such great mixup/feint potential he uses far too much stamina when feinting.

A small health buff and stamina cost reduction for feinting moves and heavies would do a lot of good in my opinion. He's not far off from being balanced and a great hero, he just needs those rough edges to be smoothed out.

PDXGorechild
01-08-2018, 01:50 PM
He's actually quite good. But to be quite good, he requires you to be at least good. Ideally very good. If you're not good - try playing Shaman and just rolling your face across the controller/keyboard.

BarbeQMichael
01-08-2018, 01:54 PM
Highlander is in game because on paper he had cool and unique kit and fighting style. It is in my opinion actually very nice design, but the hard numbers are just off and that makes him close to useless.

1. He is ridiculously slow, so he cannot do anything for example if caught in wardens sb-spam, and his attacks are parried with no effort
2. Switching to OF takes ages and leaves no defences. So when you see HL going for it, you just hit with light or gb him.
3. The sword which takes 1000ms to land a heavy deals only 25 damage (for example shinobi deals 24dmg with 500ms light attacks).
4. The hyperarmor you get for those extremely slow attacks, activates only at the very end. It means most attacks will still interrupt you, and if you get to trade, only few heavies in game deal same damage as you, the rest deal more. So you just trade bad.
5. He has absolutely horrible stamina management which means you are OOS if you do a combo or mixup something.

He also has only 5hp more than pk or shaman, which makes me wonder in what way he can be a tank/vanguard hybrid.

The_B0G_
01-08-2018, 02:03 PM
He's actually quite good. But to be quite good, he requires you to be at least good. Ideally very good. If you're not good - try playing Shaman and just rolling your face across the controller/keyboard.

I brought this up in another HL thread, you can see really good HL's but any time you do, like you said the player himself is a really good player, and that player is without a doubt much better with nearly any other character besides the worst ones in the roster.

That means he isn't balanced. No one gets stomped in a match and says, "screw this, I'm getting my HL!" lol if anything it's the opposite.

BarbeQMichael
01-08-2018, 02:21 PM
I brought this up in another HL thread, you can see really good HL's but any time you do, like you said the player himself is a really good player, and that player is without a doubt much better with nearly any other character besides the worst ones in the roster.

Basically this, I like to think a characters "goodness" as a skill multiplier. Say you have a skill level of X, then different heroes multiply your skill and the result is your effectiveness. With completely arbitrary numbers in this example we can say, for example shaman/pk/shinobi having value of 1,2 ; and a highlander/kensei value of 0,8. It results in two equally skilled players playing two different heroes having vastly different effectiveness, and it is possible for a worse player to beat a better player quite easily with having higher rated hero.

Heroes and numbers completely made up solely for presentation purposes.

PDXGorechild
01-08-2018, 04:45 PM

That means he isn't balanced. No one gets stomped in a match and says, "screw this, I'm getting my HL!" lol if anything it's the opposite.

Hence why I said "Quite good". I've mained Zerk since release so know all about the pain of playing an under powered character. Highlander defo needs a bit of love, but his kit is still a lot better than a lot of the original characters who deserve to be prioritised.

I say keep his awkward, slow playstyle and just boost his numbers a bit. Definitely a bit more health, being as he's pretty huge and slow, maybe some more damage to justify that final fantasy-esque hunk of metal he hauls around.

Other than that I love the character. Great style, fun to fight, and you don't see too many of them. So you know you're in for a good ruck when you see a high level highlander who's bothered to dedicate the time to him.

We need those classes that are hard to play with steep learning curves. It makes it more fun being good at it.

The_B0G_
01-08-2018, 05:34 PM
Hence why I said "Quite good". I've mained Zerk since release so know all about the pain of playing an under powered character. Highlander defo needs a bit of love, but his kit is still a lot better than a lot of the original characters who deserve to be prioritised.

I say keep his awkward, slow playstyle and just boost his numbers a bit. Definitely a bit more health, being as he's pretty huge and slow, maybe some more damage to justify that final fantasy-esque hunk of metal he hauls around.

Other than that I love the character. Great style, fun to fight, and you don't see too many of them. So you know you're in for a good ruck when you see a high level highlander who's bothered to dedicate the time to him.

We need those classes that are hard to play with steep learning curves. It makes it more fun being good at it.

Totally agree.

Hormly
01-09-2018, 12:20 AM
Because studies had shown that the game was only 70% manly, and they needed a character to bring the remaining 30%