PDA

View Full Version : The Battle Outfits...

Tundra 793
01-04-2018, 11:48 PM
Saw a thread about this topic on Reddit, and It's been on my mind for a couple of months now, figured I'd raise the issue here as well.

I'd really love it if the design team diversified the Battle Outfits. The modern art/abstract/geometric style is just old, and frankly weird at this point.

Reddit user Stone-Frog said it best; "don't get me wrong i'm not against having these at all, i'm against only getting these."

I don't think i've ever bought a single battle outfit, most of them frankly look very out of place in For Honor.

Stone-Frog also pointed out that while design might be one of the hardest jobs, there's no shortage of free inspiriation for more historically themed outfits. From Sicily to Finnmark, there are tens of thousands of towns, cities and counties with a historic Coat of Arms. Just copy paste those nice bright colors and basic heraldy onto Knight outfits.
Japanese art is also very well documented in texts, and has a very distinct and unique style. Surely a team of professional artists could work with that for the Samurai.

Vikings might be the hardest to work with, but even I live maybe an hour from like 4-5+ Viking museums, and If it got us more ornate and original outfits, I'd gladly send the team all the jiggabytes worth of pictures I could.

To summarize; Please give us less modern art outfits. It's gettin' weird.

ChampionRuby50g
01-05-2018, 12:04 AM
*Raises beer and cheers in agreement*

Vakris_One
01-05-2018, 12:53 AM
The only outfit I've ever bought is the Fauvist one because it looked good on the Aramusha. The emblems have this look about them like they are drawn with a brush stroke which fits a Japanese-esque style. But yeah, more historocally and culturally themed stuff would be great. A lot of the battle outfits are just too abstract and modern and tend to look out of place most of the time.

The Japanese for example have the Ukiyo-e art style, which wluld go great on some of the Samurai armour and cloth. Ukiyo-e paintings like this for example:

http://www.vam.ac.uk/__data/assets/image/0003/236118/print_oniwakamaru.jpg

https://data.ukiyo-e.org/met/images/DP122119.jpg

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/z4-haruhara-specter-b-20140711.jpg

David_gorda
01-05-2018, 12:57 AM
Dont like the battle outfits at all, would never use steel on them.

Mtcmnkk
01-05-2018, 02:41 AM
One of the best ideas I've heard. Was thinking how much I disliked all but one the other day

UbiJurassic
01-05-2018, 03:48 AM
Saw a thread about this topic on Reddit, and It's been on my mind for a couple of months now, figured I'd raise the issue here as well.

I'd really love it if the design team diversified the Battle Outfits. The modern art/abstract/geometric style is just old, and frankly weird at this point.

Reddit user Stone-Frog said it best; "don't get me wrong i'm not against having these at all, i'm against only getting these."

I don't think i've ever bought a single battle outfit, most of them frankly look very out of place in For Honor.

Stone-Frog also pointed out that while design might be one of the hardest jobs, there's no shortage of free inspiriation for more historically themed outfits. From Sicily to Finnmark, there are tens of thousands of towns, cities and counties with a historic Coat of Arms. Just copy paste those nice bright colors and basic heraldy onto Knight outfits.
Japanese art is also very well documented in texts, and has a very distinct and unique style. Surely a team of professional artists could work with that for the Samurai.

Vikings might be the hardest to work with, but even I live maybe an hour from like 4-5+ Viking museums, and If it got us more ornate and original outfits, I'd gladly send the team all the jiggabytes worth of pictures I could.

To summarize; Please give us less modern art outfits. It's gettin' weird.

I'll definitely make sure that the idea is noted and passed on to the team for their future consideration, Tundra. Stone-Frog does definitely point out some interesting concepts that would be very interesting to prospectively see in the future.

Tundra 793
01-05-2018, 04:08 AM
I'll definitely make sure that the idea is noted and passed on to the team for their future consideration, Tundra. Stone-Frog does definitely point out some interesting concepts that would be very interesting to prospectively see in the future.

Much appreciate Mr. Dinosaur dude!

To put my thoughts into a more concise wording; The art team could use the Outfits to help build up the world of For Honor, and create a better Faction identity for the players.

There's no red thread connecting the art styles to much of anything in the game, the Battle Outfits in particular seem very far removed from the For Honor universe.
It's quite obvious if you compare the Forge Viking Mythic Outfit to most newer releases, like the Halloween Mask, or the "Buffalo" Mask. They're completely different art styles and concepts, which I think is quite jarring. I'd love to see a more general sense of continuity between each factions outfits and art styles.

It's really quite puzzling to me, how far removed some outfits are from their factions when you consider that, for the Vikings at least, the devs seem have used real world assets in some map designs, like rune stones. The statue on High Fort for example is a direct copy of an actual Viking statue in Denmark.

Makes me wonder why this attention to detail doesn't carry over to outfit designs.