PDA

View Full Version : More Biomes in Anno 1800

Kitsune_kit88
01-04-2018, 11:23 PM
hey i would love to see the Climates return on the game Sesion and not like that one from anno 2205 were you needed to load up the arctic of tundra but like the one from anno 1404 and 1701 where island had their own unique Climate and biomes and resources you needed to make a setlement to gather and compete with other players for them

Nox_29
01-04-2018, 11:55 PM
I would also love to see that, but I think the maps aren't big enough to fit as much climates in there as in 2205. 2 climates would work, possibly 3.

stylisticsagi
01-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Climates would be nice indeed but the idea was to have less island but much bigger islands, so with climate per island would largy make up the same maps every game.
Another fun thing would be that islands themself have some sort of diffrent climates, perhaps a more altitude or near the sea climate.
Then when colonizing an island for a fertility you need might not be enough, you have to build a railway much deeper into the island first where the stuf grows.

ANN0nymity
01-05-2018, 11:23 AM
That seems nice! :) Another possibility could be seasons.

stylisticsagi
01-05-2018, 12:11 PM
seasons would be nice but it woudl drasticly affect how farms work, but perhaps that's something a game like anno could be good to provide.
Altough i don't think they are gonna do that one this time.

Kitsune_kit88
01-05-2018, 09:26 PM
Season effecting farms also fun indeed the farms effect is been used before inside anno 2070 with the eco balance feature would be fun to see it return in a form of seasonal change effects :)

ruuti0
01-06-2018, 12:35 PM
I think this is great idea!

Some writers say maps aren't too big for that, but in my opinion game haven't to be "that realistic". It worked in 1404 too.

I personally would like to see some even antarktis style climate.

Of course every island shouldn't have it own climate, but there could be 2-3-4 different climates per maps and it still would work (in my opinion)!

moryz23
01-09-2018, 05:17 AM
Well Anno 1503 had 6 different climate zones if I remember correctly, so it shouldn't be problem to fit all of those islands in.

Introducing Seasons would be a nice addition. Requiring you to stockpile for example food. And seeing your city covered in snow would be definitely great.

iruet
01-12-2018, 12:28 AM
It would be interesting to have mutliple on one island or to have one per island. I know someone said that the islands will be bigger, but the mapsize gets bigger too... Check the blog on that one :) Since the site is currently down, I cannot add the corresponding union post related to that :(

Maybe a combination of those two would be nice... and tbh... seasons? That would add complexity, but it would also add struggles for the people more caring about looks than good production lines :)

AgmasGold
01-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Site is back up, this is the DevBlog iruet was talking about: https://www.anno-union.com/en/multisession-gameplay-in-anno-1800/

ruuti0
01-12-2018, 08:59 PM
I would imagine that it wouldn't take much coding to add many different climates/biomes to one map.

It would be cool to trade some items from tundra islands to "normal" islands and to desert islands and vice versa.

What you think, how many different climates/biomes could be good and what kind of climates/biomes you would want have in 1800?

AgmasGold
01-13-2018, 12:33 AM
"Not too much coding"... apart from having to balance them, then (if they haven't already included them) basically rewrite the procedural map generator so that it works with them. Apart from the fact that Anno's maps are constructed from prefab islands and then rotated and moved around (at least that's how it was done in 1404), so they would need potentially actually create different islands to include the climates.

Then they would need to develop the actual climate system itself, tweak buildings so they could actually work/not work in certain climates, add buildings for certain climates (like Noria's for the Orient from 1404). As this is a newer Anno, they would probably need particles and other climate-specific animations to keep up with the high standard of the rest of the game. Then obviously not all goods would be able to be grown in all climates, so they would need to edit that, again tweaking the islands so they actual include the climate areas, and make it work with the map generator.

My point being... if they haven't already added it, its not something they can just add in on a whim. Personally I am not too bothered about climates, I think complexity can be achieved elsewhere in the game. It kind of irked me a bit, as when you think it through.. "it wouldn't take too much coding" is not really a correct statement. They haven't mentioned anything about climates so far in any opf the DevBlogs, and it wasn't apparent in any of the AnnoCast streams.

ruuti0
01-13-2018, 11:40 AM
"Not too much coding"... apart from having to balance them, then (if they haven't already included them) basically rewrite the procedural map generator so that it works with them. Apart from the fact that Anno's maps are constructed from prefab islands and then rotated and moved around (at least that's how it was done in 1404), so they would need potentially actually create different islands to include the climates.

Then they would need to develop the actual climate system itself, tweak buildings so they could actually work/not work in certain climates, add buildings for certain climates (like Noria's for the Orient from 1404). As this is a newer Anno, they would probably need particles and other climate-specific animations to keep up with the high standard of the rest of the game. Then obviously not all goods would be able to be grown in all climates, so they would need to edit that, again tweaking the islands so they actual include the climate areas, and make it work with the map generator.

My point being... if they haven't already added it, its not something they can just add in on a whim. Personally I am not too bothered about climates, I think complexity can be achieved elsewhere in the game. It kind of irked me a bit, as when you think it through.. "it wouldn't take too much coding" is not really a correct statement. They haven't mentioned anything about climates so far in any opf the DevBlogs, and it wasn't apparent in any of the AnnoCast streams.

I have coded games myself, have you?

I just tested game I made couple of years ago, created couple of new type islands, edited map generator code to choose also different type islands, and it worked. All of this took 30 min of my life time. Anno is surely more complex, but basic idea is the same.

Obviously neither of us know how Anno is coded so we don't know how big job it is in fact, it can either be "easy" or harder job depending on how 1800 is coded. And also that affect how long it takes to make new island type. If I have to guess it would take longer to make new kind of islands, but coding part that I was talking about wouldn't take that long, because they only would have to add new island types to map generator.

"Then they would need to develop the actual climate system itself, tweak buildings so they could actually work/not work in certain climates, add buildings for certain climates "
there is nothing that would force them to work like you suggested.

Easiest way would be add few new island types, add new island types to map generator, and it would work. It would only get more complex if you would want to add new house types, new animations for climate/biome or new goods. Surely new goods would be good combo with new islands, but I don't think we will get neither of them, but if we would, it would be super cool.

"Personally I am not too bothered about climates, I think complexity can be achieved elsewhere in the gam"
I think you have misunderstood the point, complexity had nothing to do with climate or biomes, it would be just nice to have different climates or biomes in maps. Complexity in Anno come from other things.

stylisticsagi
01-13-2018, 12:22 PM
I think anno has always had their own pre-made islands and the map generator just placed those islands and filled them with a few fertilities.
This will most probably be the same for 1800. The thing i fear for with more biomes per island would be that you will get the feeling faster you've seen those islands before.
I already had this feeling on almost every island from every anno wich had rivers on them...
Biomes will make this even worse.

AgmasGold
01-13-2018, 11:04 PM
I'll admit, I don't do any games programming. I don't doubt that it could be added, but there's a big difference between a small game and a AAA game that has tens of people working on it each working day. You're right, neither of us can really know how the Anno engine works, but I feel like it would take a significant amount of work to add either way - islands, graphics, particles, sure maybe if the climates were just there for aesthetic it would be less work in terms of animations/gameplay systems.

stylisticsagi
01-14-2018, 03:28 PM
Yeah but if the climates would be pure aesthetic (wich would no doubt bring a great atmosphere to the game) You are gonna end up with farms growing crops in winter climates and such. A sight no one is waiting for.

ruuti0
01-14-2018, 04:10 PM
Yeah but if the climates would be pure aesthetic (wich would no doubt bring a great atmosphere to the game) You are gonna end up with farms growing crops in winter climates and such. A sight no one is waiting for.

I am pretty sure they would add code that make sure that crops wouldn't grow up at all or just little in such climate, if they would add it.

And I didn't mean summer or winter climate, I meant this kind of climate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate#/media/File:ClimateMap_World.png

Somwhere could be tropical wet, subarctic, ice cap, humid continental, mediterrannean or humid subtropical etc.

But year in my opinion it could be mostly aesthetic (which would bring great atmosphere to the game like you said), but also having such things that certain goods wouldn't grow on some places and so on. Maybe on ice cap or tundra you should have different clothes too. Or maybe just having such climates that they wouldn't have to change human animations at all.

I know they most likely aren't going to do it for 1800, but it would be really cool addition in my opinion. Maybe it happen in future :p

Nox_29
01-14-2018, 06:45 PM
1800 is the colonial era. People from Europe would board ships from the low-lands and travel to the Undiscovered Country, starting a new life and a new civilization. What if, like building a civilization in the Orient in 1404, we could colonize America in 1800? We could send out ships to these new countries and colonize them, starting a new civilization with new needs, buildings and inventions.

Kitsune_kit88
01-14-2018, 10:22 PM
This was also my Idea like you Ruutio because earth has diferent climate zones and i suppose there will be some products in anno 1800 who would need to grow in a other climate or needs some stuff from a other climates to satisfy the needs of your islands inhabbitants

stylisticsagi
01-16-2018, 09:10 AM
This get's me an idea. What if they added world trading (you can trade off map unlimited quantities) and there would simply be stuff you can't grow into the 1800 world ureself so you have to trade for them. As for diversity perhaps the map could have diffrent biomes but sometimes 1 is missing so those products you have to buy.

AgmasGold
01-16-2018, 11:21 PM
They'd have to be very careful with world trading. Although it wasn't quite the same, the world market in 2205 didn't work very well. I feel like some people would just end up exploiting it, and it might seem like a simple way to make a lot of money. The reverse could feel just as unsatisfying - unlimited purchasing of a certain rare good, magically appearing from off the map - I just don't see it feeling satisfying to a player.

That's not to say it couldn't be done well. I think the main challenge with it would be making it feel engaging to people, and not just a button you press (or a trade route you set up) that just brings in a lot of money or goods. I realize as I am typing this that the money part is exactly what I did creating a trade route and selling stuff to the NPC's in Anno 2070 - the method to differentiate this action from a "world trading" system would make or break the system, and whether not it feels like a good feature, or just random extra bloat to the game.

stylisticsagi
01-17-2018, 09:14 AM
That's a good point you have there. If they are going to do it they have to do it very good.
Yet i always feeled in anno there is something missing.
Trading in anno usually means 95% selling goods and perhaps 5 o less% you are buying.

Now you can say you don't like about goods magically appearing from off the map but you prob have little to no problem with enormous amounts of goods dissappearing the same magically way.

ruuti0
01-17-2018, 03:44 PM
That's a good point you have there. If they are going to do it they have to do it very good.
Yet i always feeled in anno there is something missing.
Trading in anno usually means 95% selling goods and perhaps 5 o less% you are buying.

Now you can say you don't like about goods magically appearing from off the map but you prob have little to no problem with enormous amounts of goods dissappearing the same magically way.

Can you explain how you make an virtual market that you cannot exploit?

First problem is that world market goods don't have any real life value so people can do things they wouldn't do on real market and this lead to situation
where exploiting market come pretty easy.

I think if they add World Market it should be optional to use. I personally am not fan of this World Market idea, I like that all goods come or go to players you can literally see in game and that you play against. That bring right kind of balance to trading and trading have bigger affect on strategies.

Having forced World Market could lead to situation again where people abuse and exploit it and that can give unfair advantage for example in multiplayer games.

I am fan of "market" and trading system that all earlier Annos used before 2205. It seems to be pretty decent and balanced and don't give people chance to "cheat".

stylisticsagi
01-17-2018, 10:30 PM
I am certainly not the expert in these things but i "think" the offworld market should not be something online like 2205 had.
If you look at games like age of empires, rise of nations, cossacks, sins of a solar empire, offworld trading company and many more. You can take some examples from there.
Those markets only reflect on the current game played. It always balances itself again over time. If a player buys alot of the same goods the price will quikly go up, if a player sells alot of the same good the price will soon drop. buying/selling other goods as well helps to rebalance the other prices quiker as well. It would not be player based but game based so these changes count for every player in that game but not in other games.

In things like these there will probably always be a way to exploit it but is there a anno game or simply A game wich has absolutly no exploits?!
I think maximum and minimum prices could also help but these may be quite high/low.
But i certainly do like the fact that you could be buying goods to increase the valuea for a good so another player who needs these suddenly has to pay more for them or sellign so he earns less. Making a bit extra mony by smart trading is also something i won't mind as long as indeed there is no exploit of doing it so you get "free" money fast but that's what the buy/ratio's do. it will therefore quite rare to be able to make a big profit by buying the goods one time and selling them another time unless something drastic has happend.

apart from this very interesting discussion i think we went quite off topic with this.
Nonetheless back to the connection more biomes in combination with a more interactive usable market could not only boost trading and production but also boost the possibility of making choices in general.

banan1996.1996
01-24-2018, 08:29 PM
I definately want to see more biomes, climate zones etc. in Anno 1800. But as a multisession gameplay is a part of Anno 1800 I can only see other climate zones appear in separate sessions. And I'm pretty sure we'll see something like that as colonialism and imperialism were a huge part of 19th century. I think we should wait for more info from BB team.

Seriphyn
01-25-2018, 06:39 AM
1800 is the colonial era. People from Europe would board ships from the low-lands and travel to the Undiscovered Country, starting a new life and a new civilization. What if, like building a civilization in the Orient in 1404, we could colonize America in 1800? We could send out ships to these new countries and colonize them, starting a new civilization with new needs, buildings and inventions.

This was exactly what I was thinking myself! The Wild West would be a good contrast to industrializing European cities. It has the same thing with railroads too!

Especially with how in the United States, the Great Plains and whatnot would fuel industrialization on the East coast.

Perhaps an expansion idea moreso?