PDA

View Full Version : New main help?

Knight_Raime
01-01-2018, 06:34 AM
I'm just going to copy pasta my post from the competitive subreddit:

"Hello all! Pretty simple. I'm looking to find a new main. Back in season 1 it was orochi/warden but I bounced around. Season 2 was mostly centurion but I did still bounce around some. Season 3 was going to be glad but I ended up getting distracted with life stuffs and didn't play much during season 3.

Season 4 arrives and i've played both the new heros. I like both. But neither are 100% my jam. I find myself still bouncing around. I think it's important to widen your experiences but I also feel like that because I haven't really sat down and mained someone for a good long while that my constant shifting around is currently hampering my skills as a player.

For context I am a console player (xbox one) and basically only duel. Assassins in general have sort of been my jam from the get go. Of the vanguards i've really only given Warden a fair shake. Raider just doesn't feel me. Or at least he's difficult to get into imo. And I love the idea of kensei. But I don't love the idea of basically throwing everything away just to only kensei to actually be usable.

I dislike heavies in general. Especially goki. I tried conq from beta times and season 1 but I just never could get anywhere with him. As far as hybrids go I've always liked bushi. But of the 4 seperate times I tried to pick her up i've just never been able to do anything good. Really the only hybrid i'm not fond of is valk.

I enjoy mix up intensive heros. Having multiple tools of approach. I like being able to be offensive and apply pressure. I'm not fond of heros that force me to play more reserved.

So who do you guys recommend I try to pick up as a main?"

Rye.Bread.
01-01-2018, 06:46 AM
play conq
:^}

Knight_Raime
01-01-2018, 08:22 AM
play conq

I would absolutely love to go back to conq bro if his rework comes out great. As he's the only heavy i've ever been able to stomach. And I like the theme and the flail.

BTTrinity
01-01-2018, 01:44 PM
I would absolutely love to go back to conq bro if his rework comes out great. As he's the only heavy i've ever been able to stomach. And I like the theme and the flail.

Really? Ive always looked at Conq and went "God I wish he had a sword, I might actually use him." Ive always hated Maces n Flails. If his rework comes out successful though, I'm worried they'll give him to much offensive power and leave in his xXturtlegod5000literallyuntouchableXx blocking (Due to the way hes immune to chip damage)

I still main Nobushi to this day, by far my favorite character.... Especially in 4v4's she can be VERY fun, shes a very good piece to have during group fights due to her Cancel-able recoveries.

You can also mess up some people in 4v4's with a top/left Light > cancel with hidden stance > Double poke out of stance because A LOT of people will try to parry it and get double poked before they can feint.

You can also cancel the zone into the side dash attacks (Cobra and Sidewinder) very fluently for some pretty decent mixup game.

Lastly, never let lights fly.

CandleInTheDark
01-01-2018, 01:53 PM
1v1 spending time with kensei can be pretty rewarding, you can use him as a quasi-assassin with his dodge light punish to unblockable mixup though obviously against true turtles (I am more 4v4 so my elo likely isn't high in duel) he will struggle and it is a matter of seeing what the rework will give him.

Thinking of the characters I have had most fun with 1v1, I have quite liked nobushi for her hidden stance, obviously you know I am a peacekeeper main, dropping down the tiers, berserker relies on feints near as much as kensei but can be a monster when he gets going. If you prefer the DLC flavour, shinobi offers a lot of mixups, I have only played highlander against bots (and have too many more priorities to play seriously yet) but that was pretty fun.

bob333e
01-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Being a Warden main who's been trying out a few heroes recently, I too have realized that playing, exploring, and learning other herores can be just as fun, however from time to time I still have to go back to Warden to make sure I don't really rust myself out with him. Currently playing and leveling Raider, Warlord, Berserker, Nobushi, Orochi, Shugoki and Kensei. I would have loved to play Shinobi and Centurion as well, but I don't own the DLC heroes (I still use them in Practice Mode though).

I can heartily recommend Berserker. Berserker is an aggressive hero that rather encourages you to be on the offensive. The heavies combo really well, and you'll catch your opponent offguard with hyperarmor. Very good mixup potential. Very good feint recoveries. Good stamina usage. Useful forward dash R1 as both an opener and a counterattack. Dodge attack can be chained with further attacks. And she has the most brutal OOS heavy punish in the game (my Zerker is a lady).

What I found most delicious about Berserker, is that you can start a chain while whiffing the first 1-2 hits out of range, making your opponent think they have a window to attack you. You then initiate the hyperarmor followup and catch them offguard, and if it's an overhead attack, it steamrolls the trade in your favor. And you can keep applying pressure with hyperarmored attacks (while also making sure you don't get parried). Berserker is just awesome.

Currently my problem with Berserker is the deflect reward; you deflect and get a free GB, though I'm still not putting this to very good use. Especially when I deflect and I'm nowhere near a wall. All I can do is a side heavy; though sometimes I remind myself that this side heavy can be chained with more heavies. Orochi, for instance, can deflect into counterattack lights, which can have more light followups, or into a heavy stab then GB and top heavy. I got used to his deflect, hence why I feel the Zerker's to be a bit lackluster. It's only a matter of more training on my part. Berserker will definitely be my secondary. I'm going to rep her up to legendary tier.

Additionally, Berserker is receiving a rework; let's hope the kit will get more advanced, and should this happen, Berserker will definitely escalate quickly from B tier to S tier, beating Gladiator, and on-par with Shaman's dangerous kit, imo. Shaman has no hyperarmor, and most of her things are interruptible with quick lights. Whereas Zerker can very well punish you for being too greedy with lights.

bob333e
01-01-2018, 02:45 PM
play conq

I saw your pic in the other thread which now got closed. Thanks for that ahahh. Had me laughing.

Knight_Raime
01-02-2018, 01:13 AM
Really? Ive always looked at Conq and went "God I wish he had a sword, I might actually use him." Ive always hated Maces n Flails. If his rework comes out successful though, I'm worried they'll give him to much offensive power and leave in his xXturtlegod5000literallyuntouchableXx blocking (Due to the way hes immune to chip damage)

I still main Nobushi to this day, by far my favorite character.... Especially in 4v4's she can be VERY fun, shes a very good piece to have during group fights due to her Cancel-able recoveries.

You can also mess up some people in 4v4's with a top/left Light > cancel with hidden stance > Double poke out of stance because A LOT of people will try to parry it and get double poked before they can feint.

You can also cancel the zone into the side dash attacks (Cobra and Sidewinder) very fluently for some pretty decent mixup game.

Lastly, never let lights fly.

Oh yeah I love flails/maces. I think he should be stripped of getting free GB's on heavy blocks. But the ability to interrupt combos by blocking should stay. To keep his "defensive" theme in mind. Maybe he could still get a GB in some fashion if blocking with full block/dodging into the attack. Unsure though.

Bushi even post dlc is still my favorite hybrid. More so than aramusha. But I can actually do things with him. Compared to bushi who I flounder with constantly. wait. You can cancel the second part of the zone with those? Or are you referring to canceling the recovery of the hard cancel on her zone? Because i'm aware her dodges/dodge attacks can cancel recoveries.

Knight_Raime
01-02-2018, 01:18 AM
1v1 spending time with kensei can be pretty rewarding, you can use him as a quasi-assassin with his dodge light punish to unblockable mixup though obviously against true turtles (I am more 4v4 so my elo likely isn't high in duel) he will struggle and it is a matter of seeing what the rework will give him.

Thinking of the characters I have had most fun with 1v1, I have quite liked nobushi for her hidden stance, obviously you know I am a peacekeeper main, dropping down the tiers, berserker relies on feints near as much as kensei but can be a monster when he gets going. If you prefer the DLC flavour, shinobi offers a lot of mixups, I have only played highlander against bots (and have too many more priorities to play seriously yet) but that was pretty fun.

I really would enjoy learning to play Kensei. I just feel like in this current game state and pre rework it's just not going to be worth the effort invested.
I did consider PK as a main awhile ago. Then stopped playing due to life and other games.
I love zerker because of the mind games+ I think this way of trading attacks is a fair way unlike shugo *cough*
ANYWAY I did try shinobi for awhile. I feel like i'm just not getting something with him. Highlander is cool. But I feel in a similar spot to kensei.
at least for me.

Knight_Raime
01-02-2018, 01:24 AM
Being a Warden main who's been trying out a few heroes recently, I too have realized that playing, exploring, and learning other herores can be just as fun, however from time to time I still have to go back to Warden to make sure I don't really rust myself out with him. Currently playing and leveling Raider, Warlord, Berserker, Nobushi, Orochi, Shugoki and Kensei. I would have loved to play Shinobi and Centurion as well, but I don't own the DLC heroes (I still use them in Practice Mode though).

I can heartily recommend Berserker. Berserker is an aggressive hero that rather encourages you to be on the offensive. The heavies combo really well, and you'll catch your opponent offguard with hyperarmor. Very good mixup potential. Very good feint recoveries. Good stamina usage. Useful forward dash R1 as both an opener and a counterattack. Dodge attack can be chained with further attacks. And she has the most brutal OOS heavy punish in the game (my Zerker is a lady).

What I found most delicious about Berserker, is that you can start a chain while whiffing the first 1-2 hits out of range, making your opponent think they have a window to attack you. You then initiate the hyperarmor followup and catch them offguard, and if it's an overhead attack, it steamrolls the trade in your favor. And you can keep applying pressure with hyperarmored attacks (while also making sure you don't get parried). Berserker is just awesome.

Currently my problem with Berserker is the deflect reward; you deflect and get a free GB, though I'm still not putting this to very good use. Especially when I deflect and I'm nowhere near a wall. All I can do is a side heavy; though sometimes I remind myself that this side heavy can be chained with more heavies. Orochi, for instance, can deflect into counterattack lights, which can have more light followups, or into a heavy stab then GB and top heavy. I got used to his deflect, hence why I feel the Zerker's to be a bit lackluster. It's only a matter of more training on my part. Berserker will definitely be my secondary. I'm going to rep her up to legendary tier.

Additionally, Berserker is receiving a rework; let's hope the kit will get more advanced, and should this happen, Berserker will definitely escalate quickly from B tier to S tier, beating Gladiator, and on-par with Shaman's dangerous kit, imo. Shaman has no hyperarmor, and most of her things are interruptible with quick lights. Whereas Zerker can very well punish you for being too greedy with lights.

Yeah I kind of want to avoid touching the 3 announced heros being reworked first. At least until we know the extent of said reworks. Just so I don't attempt to lose time spent on someone who will play fundimentally different. Shaman is exactly what I want from a hero. Aggressive. entire kit usable at all skill levels. many mix ups. But whenever I play her...I dunno. Her rythm is throwing me off. I can't quite figure it out.

bob333e
01-02-2018, 04:12 AM
Yeah I kind of want to avoid touching the 3 announced heros being reworked first. At least until we know the extent of said reworks. Just so I don't attempt to lose time spent on someone who will play fundimentally different. Shaman is exactly what I want from a hero. Aggressive. entire kit usable at all skill levels. many mix ups. But whenever I play her...I dunno. Her rythm is throwing me off. I can't quite figure it out.

Fair point. I'm on the other side of the coin: I'm enjoying what I can with Berserker before she gets reworked, in case the rework proves a downgrade and a leap backwards. At least I know I've had a good time with her before they ruined her. The same applies with Kensei, he's currently rep1 too. I'm not playing Conqueror yet.

Concerning your point on Shaman; it might just be, because with Shaman, it's easy to secure a hit or two real quick on most heroes. You don't feel you're being pushed to the edge, you don't feel her kit is being tested to its limit. You start the fight eager for a gruesome, hard challenge, then end up feeling dissatisfied end-match. Because you weren't pushed like when you use another hero.

David_gorda
01-02-2018, 04:54 AM
Shaman is really fun to play, really good mix ups and easy to play agggresive with. Best designed Class sofar except to op lol.
Berserker, kensai, Raider or lawbringer are also fun IMO.

FBWilson
01-02-2018, 08:18 AM
Do you want people to hate you? Do you love thinking you're powerful for about 2 seconds until you realize you don't have any good moves? Do you like running out of stamina every 3 seconds? Well the PEACEKEEPER class is definitely for you. Everyone hates us because we have super annoying bleed but in the midst of actual combat we're outclassed by almost every other character (especially in terms of mix-up potential). Still, if you want to style on your opponent any time you actually win (for once), join us PK's and watch as Ubisoft keeps giving other assassins more kit.

Knight_Raime
01-02-2018, 01:23 PM
Fair point. I'm on the other side of the coin: I'm enjoying what I can with Berserker before she gets reworked, in case the rework proves a downgrade and a leap backwards. At least I know I've had a good time with her before they ruined her. The same applies with Kensei, he's currently rep1 too. I'm not playing Conqueror yet.

Concerning your point on Shaman; it might just be, because with Shaman, it's easy to secure a hit or two real quick on most heroes. You don't feel you're being pushed to the edge, you don't feel her kit is being tested to its limit. You start the fight eager for a gruesome, hard challenge, then end up feeling dissatisfied end-match. Because you weren't pushed like when you use another hero.

I've actually had goki's and bushi's destroy me as a shaman aha.

Knight_Raime
01-02-2018, 01:24 PM
Do you want people to hate you? Do you love thinking you're powerful for about 2 seconds until you realize you don't have any good moves? Do you like running out of stamina every 3 seconds? Well the PEACEKEEPER class is definitely for you. Everyone hates us because we have super annoying bleed but in the midst of actual combat we're outclassed by almost every other character (especially in terms of mix-up potential). Still, if you want to style on your opponent any time you actually win (for once), join us PK's and watch as Ubisoft keeps giving other assassins more kit.

People already hate me so it's no biggy d:
thanks for the suggestion.

Alustar.
01-02-2018, 02:12 PM

The thing I like most about shaman is that you can set your own rhythm for the most part. Down to holding your heavy trigger or melee button to stall a closer just a fraction of a second longer than you have been. Plus if you are good at any kind of feint mix up characters the potentials are numerous enough that I will enjoy playing her.
I can focus one specific combo say to get my opponents expecting that, and by the time they adapt and stay countering it, I'm already using a different playstyle altogether.
If I had to make a direct correlation to another character, she reminds me of Xiaoyu from tekken. She comes at you from crazy angles, and the minute you think you know what she's going to do next, your whole world changes.

Alustar.
01-02-2018, 02:18 PM
I've actually had goki's and bushi's destroy me as a shaman aha.
for Shugoki I found aggressive double lights to a heavy dash mix up works to break the armor and open them up.
Nobushi I have to dodge or guard break, deflecting helps the most as it can put you in closer for follow-up attacks. If you aren't confident in the deflect timings though a good dodge game can set them off, just watch for GB bait.

Knight_Raime
01-02-2018, 11:26 PM
for Shugoki I found aggressive double lights to a heavy dash mix up works to break the armor and open them up.
Nobushi I have to dodge or guard break, deflecting helps the most as it can put you in closer for follow-up attacks. If you aren't confident in the deflect timings though a good dodge game can set them off, just watch for GB bait.

For me whenever I try to double light goki with shaman he always blocks the second one. and yes i'm light attacking in the same direction.

The thing I like most about shaman is that you can set your own rhythm for the most part. Down to holding your heavy trigger or melee button to stall a closer just a fraction of a second longer than you have been. Plus if you are good at any kind of feint mix up characters the potentials are numerous enough that I will enjoy playing her.
I can focus one specific combo say to get my opponents expecting that, and by the time they adapt and stay countering it, I'm already using a different playstyle altogether.
If I had to make a direct correlation to another character, she reminds me of Xiaoyu from tekken. She comes at you from crazy angles, and the minute you think you know what she's going to do next, your whole world changes.

Yeah she can set the pace of a fight much like shinobi. It's just something about her feels off to me. Maybe it goes away if I play with her enough.

Alustar.
01-03-2018, 02:17 AM
For me whenever I try to double light goki with shaman he always blocks the second one. and yes i'm light attacking in the same direction.

Yeah she can set the pace of a fight much like shinobi. It's just something about her feels off to me. Maybe it goes away if I play with her enough.

That is strange, definitely supposed to be a confirmed hit. I'll check closer to see if maybe it's the hyper armor? I don't know.
And yes, I found it was a noticeable transition from my peacekeeper and highlander. Over all I did did enjoy the transition