PDA

View Full Version : Playing Unity for the first time

SwiftyLovesYou
12-30-2017, 06:33 PM
So after playing Origins for 260+ hours, it's gotten a bit stale at the moment.
I decided to pick up Unity during the sale because I never got around to playing it.
I skipped this game purely from all the stigma behind it.
Although I don't regret skipping it at the time, I do regret not playing it sooner.
I'm finding myself feeling way more badass in this game compared to Origins.
All the animations, from the assassination to the parkour are lightyears ahead of Origins.
For example, you have multiple assassination moves that you're able to pull off depending on many factors.
Movement speed, positioning, height advantage & disadvantage, all these make a significant impact on how you interact with enemies.
And that's JUST assassinations, there are countless other details to consider as well.
Origins has ONE assassination... 2 if you count the above assassination..
On top of that, Unity still looks amazing as well.
Now don't get me wrong, I love Origins I think it's very fun and it's a good RPG.
Besides the story, I just don't think Origins is that great of an Assassin's Creed game.

d0vla
12-30-2017, 09:27 PM
I really loved Unity, bought it in April 2015. Arno was a great protagonist to me, I also liked the combat and the story. I understand there were problems at launch, but I waited and enjoyed it later! :) Glad there are lots of people who also like it!

And yes, free roaming in Paris was so damn good, it was beautifuly made! :)

Kaensehkmet
12-31-2017, 04:19 PM
I also picked up unity during the sale and am enjoying it though notice a LOT of glitches - especially in the assasinate sivert mission.

Last night I goth the keys, snuck into notre dame, doing fine, go to cross one of the rope sections inside, get about 1/2 way across the rope and my toon just REFUSED to move in any direction - I could not move forward, back, drop, jump anything. His feet moved slightly, but character was stuck. So I reloaded the check point and tried again.

Fell thru a section of the floor and got stuck in a wall inside notre dame :( Reload check point and try again.

Snuck along, air assassinated Sivert...and just kept falling thru the floor into nothingness! Gave me points for air assassination but then just kept falling into space until it finally killed me :(

*sigh* Going to try again today and hope I can actually complete the mission and move on.

Kaensehkmet
12-31-2017, 08:24 PM
Yeah! 2 more glitches of falling thru stuff (one of the houses around notre dame dumped me into it's wall and falling thru the tunnels beneath notre dame), but I completed the mission! Since unity is an older game, I am surprised how many glitchy areas still exist in it - would have thought they would have been patched ages ago! btw, I am playing on the PC version.

Ommicrone
01-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Actually I don't consider Unity as a game that was badly optimized. I have seen lots of games and Unity's graphics were outstanding at that time. No wonder why it asked for so much power. But there were glitches and bugs as well, They shouldn't have rushed the release. Now this might be my personal eye, But Unity is the most beautiful game I have ever played. Completed the The Witcher 3 few days ago. Now I am strictly on the notion, Unity is a very underrated game. P.S. I haven't played Origins yet. And kinda disappointed in Syndicate.

One thing I should definitely recall here is the amazing CO-OP missions Unity introduced. It was a big step forward from the Wolfpack mode. Customizing characters to your preference, Stealth master or combat master etc. would be a great implementation to an upcoming AC game.

Only thing I felt a little disappointed in the parkour, It was unrealistic a little. For example, Jumping from the top of the Notre Dam to beam that was located way below. But this is a video game after all.

Talking about Origins (which I never played), I feel like It's basically a Prince of Persia. I missed that game so much. So definitely gonna buy it.

Siegfriedfr
01-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Unity still has many faulty problems that bar him from being "great".

But the main strenght of the game is its cinematic quality and an "ambitious" and "epic" feeling, which is definitely strenghtened by the revolutionary background and the beauty of Paris.
I think it's better than Origins in that regard, and of course than all others AC.
This beauty came at a performance price that is well documented by now.

If they had made it stable and bugfree, removed the shocking chests/missions clutter, and strenghtened the second half of the plot, this really would have been the definitive AC imo.
In a way, i think behind the uproar concerning the technical troubles, fans and other people are angry that such a great moment in history was "wasted', because we all know revolutionary Paris are not the most common games on the market. Comparatively, i don't care that much that syndicate and III were boring.

I hope in the future, that Ubi Soft do not stick to the Origins/Black Flag "safe" formula for ALL their games, and try to break new grounds, like they tried to do with Unity, but be more careful during the beta phase, and squash the damn bugs. No game should be released in this state from a triple A game maker.

gh0st--d0wn
01-08-2018, 04:03 PM
Yes, it's gameplay is much closer to AC 1. You actually have to think like an Assassin in this game, Origins is just a bad Witcher III ripoff, the combat isn't very AC-like at all.