PDA

View Full Version : Noob: Help seeing ground targets

qtv
06-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Hi

I'm a noob having difficulty seeing ground targets when I strafe. I fly the sturmovik, can't see ground targets until I get really close to them. Moving convoys are totally difficult to see and attack, I basically have to use the map with icons to get in the general area, and then watch what my wingmates fire at.

Even flying over enemy airfield, i can't really see the AA emplacements, i basically have to see where the tracer they fire at me is coming form and aim at that point on the ground (which looks like all other points on the ground) until I'm basically on top of them, haven't got them lined up in my sites but its now time to pull up. If they dont fire at me, I have no idea they are there.

As you can imagine, I use a "spray" approach to firing

Is there a way to improve popup so things pop up earlier or change mip mapping level? When fling low, half way up the screen the perfect straight lines on roads become a blurred patch on the green ground. I'd like buildings and smoke columns to pop up earlier as well.

Can anyone give advice? Are there any ini settings etc I should be using?

Il2 FB version 1.0 (I know, but 100mb is a lot to download)

17 Inch CRT monitor, 1024 resolution, terrain compositing(?), object detail etc on high

I generally like mid level zoom in the cockpit view as full zoom I have no idea whats going on around me/where the ground really is

P4 3.0, 512mb, 256mb Fx5700, win XP

qtv
06-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Hi

I'm a noob having difficulty seeing ground targets when I strafe. I fly the sturmovik, can't see ground targets until I get really close to them. Moving convoys are totally difficult to see and attack, I basically have to use the map with icons to get in the general area, and then watch what my wingmates fire at.

Even flying over enemy airfield, i can't really see the AA emplacements, i basically have to see where the tracer they fire at me is coming form and aim at that point on the ground (which looks like all other points on the ground) until I'm basically on top of them, haven't got them lined up in my sites but its now time to pull up. If they dont fire at me, I have no idea they are there.

As you can imagine, I use a "spray" approach to firing

Is there a way to improve popup so things pop up earlier or change mip mapping level? When fling low, half way up the screen the perfect straight lines on roads become a blurred patch on the green ground. I'd like buildings and smoke columns to pop up earlier as well.

Can anyone give advice? Are there any ini settings etc I should be using?

Il2 FB version 1.0 (I know, but 100mb is a lot to download)

17 Inch CRT monitor, 1024 resolution, terrain compositing(?), object detail etc on high

I generally like mid level zoom in the cockpit view as full zoom I have no idea whats going on around me/where the ground really is

P4 3.0, 512mb, 256mb Fx5700, win XP

Flightvector
06-02-2004, 06:10 PM
I am not sure if your system has an issue drawing objects at distance or if you are not experiencing an issue at all. It is true ground targets won't just pop out at you and a fair amount of attention to detail is needed. you should be able to spot objects on roads, at afar they appear as small bumps the size of dots. AA also look like small bumps, and you will learn typical areas for airfield emplacements. But you don't see them much farther than 1000m. You should be at the point where you only need to find tracers to tell if the AA is dead or alive.

Try posting a screenie. You may also turn off texture compression in IL2 Setup and set mipmap to trilinear or aniso. Or maybe your moniter is too dark, I can always see the target clearly at firing range.

antifreeze
06-02-2004, 08:18 PM
You've got similar equipment and Resolution to me, except the graphic card (I use GF ti4600).
Probably you just need practise and time.
The view distance for objects and effects seems to dependent on the video card, and seems to be fairly automatic; there's no distance settings I can think of for objects, only 'perfect mode' for landscape.
I toggle between wide view and full zoom virtually all the time (in addition to using gunsight view, to keep the cross-hairs centred when aiming).
I don't expect to see AA tanks or vehicles clearly further than about 300-400m. I can't see small AA guns until 50m away. Like you, without tracers they are almost invisible.
I have gun/cannon convergence set to about 200m and rockets to 100m. The default 500m is too long for ground attack.
I approach from about 45 degrees instead of ground level.
I have 'shadows=2' in my conf.ini file.

That's about all I can think of.

ucanfly
06-02-2004, 08:39 PM
I have to use full zoom if Im going to ground attack or else the ground objects dissapear until I am right on top of them. THis has bothered me ever since getting this game although I figured it was a frame rate tradeoff.

DuxCorvan
06-03-2004, 05:42 AM
I assign keys for gradual FOV settings in control options screen.

While in flight I neither use mid-view nor full-zoom sights. I press THREE times (3) the gradual FOV increasing zoom key, and that's the better option for me. I fly this way all the time, and things -even inside cockpit- look much more realistic, and aiming -not only in ground attack- is much better. I only lose a little peripherical vision, but it's worth the trade.

Never use the full zoom view when near the ground, you'll lose control easily.

- Dux Corvan -
http://www.uploadit.org/DuxCorvan/Altamira2.jpg
Ten thousand years of Cantabrian skinning.

antifreeze
06-03-2004, 09:30 AM
> Never use the full zoom view when near the
> ground, you'll lose control easily.

Perhaps true if you have to search for a keyboard key to toggle views. I forgot to mention that I have my zoom on a joystick trigger; with the help of the 'NewView' (3rd party trackIR emulator dll), I zoom in on trigger press and zoom back out on trigger release.

http://forgotten.battles.pulpo.co.uk/il2logo.gif
9th AWACS is Recruiting: (http://www.9thawacs.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=19)
Accept all players (16+ years old).
Play FB for fun + VEF/VOW.
Fly when you want to (no minimum).
Training given on request.
Dedicated Teamspeak server.
Several other games played.
Members from all over Europe.

Dunkelgrun
06-03-2004, 09:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by antifreeze:
&gt; Never use the full zoom view when near the
&gt; ground, you'll lose control easily.

Perhaps true if you have to search for a keyboard key to toggle views. I forgot to mention that I have my zoom on a joystick trigger; with the help of the 'NewView' (3rd party trackIR emulator dll), I zoom in on trigger press and zoom back out on trigger release.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here except with TrackIR and a hatswitch mapped on the X45. It's essential for identifying targets, but no use for searching for them, use lower levels of zoom for that.
Cheers!

PS: Dux, good to see old Marty getting an airing in your avatar. He was always one of my favoutites.

http://www.uploadit.org/igmusapa/tft2.jpg
www.nightbomber.com (http://www.nightbomber.com)

Dunkelgrun aka 242Sqn_Cat

BaldieJr
06-03-2004, 09:51 AM
In the game video settings, set the vis distance to max, terrain detail to absolute lowest, and put object detail on normal.

You'll be able to see much better.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
My Specs (read 'em and weep):
* Automatically grinds whole beans before brewing
* Fully programmable 24 hours in advance
* Brew Pause feature lets you enjoy a cup before brewing has finished
* Automatically shuts off when brewing is complete
* Grind-off feature for brewing ground coffee
* 1-4 cup feature to accommodate coffee for one
* 10-cup double-wall insulated thermal carafe to keep your coffee hot long after brewing
* Gold tone commercial-style permanent filter eliminates the need to buy coffee filters
* Charcoal water filter removes impurities from the water
* Separate grinder chamber and filter area allow for easy cleanup
* Limited 3-year warranty
</pre>