PDA

View Full Version : WAR_CLOUDS_ACES...new server settings?

SodBuster43
03-30-2004, 11:42 PM
I was pleasantly pleased early this morning when I found the settings on the WAR_CLOUDS_ACES server had been changed to closed cockpit. Hope it stays this way http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

S! SPaRX

SodBuster43
03-30-2004, 11:42 PM
I was pleasantly pleased early this morning when I found the settings on the WAR_CLOUDS_ACES server had been changed to closed cockpit. Hope it stays this way http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

S! SPaRX

Papa_K
03-31-2004, 02:44 AM
It's good to see servers with a goal. It doesn't always have to be "all available aircraft" vs. "all available aircaft".

As this project called "IL-2" evolves, and more-and-more aircraft are included, (scripted) servers, where even the lowly ground-pounder is rewarded, like Warclouds add much to the game.

Further rant: Setting up specific scenarios in df servers, with rotating missions, restricting aircraft on each side to fit the scenario, allowing meaningful use of mission objectives, is now more than just a possibility. "All-available-aircraft-in-the-game" vs "all-available-aircraft-in-the-game," fly-until-you-die, gets repetitive, and unimaginative. Once the aircraft selection includes a large enough sampling from various theaters, AEP has now provided the materials for improvement.

The Warclouds server is a great example of the evolution that is available.

Papa_K

VFS-22_SPaRX
03-31-2004, 04:13 AM
@Sodbuster

War_Clouds_ACES has always had locked pit. I am not sure if you consider that externals enabled is not considered locked cockpit? To me locked cockpit is no Wonderwomen View. Either way, War_Clouds_ACES has always has wonder women view disabled and externals on. Now if you are talking bout the new War_Clouds_44+ server http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif , this one has no wonderwomen view and no extneral views. Planes are restricted to '44+ and USA, RAF, and Luft planes only. None of the so called "uber" planes are in the planesets as well. Someone was gracious enough to allow me the use of this Server. Hopefully he will allow me to use it for awhile, be he has made not promises. I am going to watch closely these two servers over the next few weeks. If I cannot use this new server any longer, the server that gets more play time will be the one that stays. I may run a poll as well and let you all decide which server stays online if it comes to that.

@Papa_K

Oddly enough, its not the servers that need to evole now. Its the players. With so many options and possiblities open to server admins, there is a lot we can do to make servers. The problem that arises is, Will people play on the server with the settings and scenerios you setup. Do you make a locked pit, no external server with historial planes sets per mission (ala Greatergreen, great server http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ). Do you make a server that has a ala carte planset that is not based on the mission? How do you choose which planes go into this ala carte? Do you turn on external views because so many want them and servers sit empty because they do not have external views on? These are the question i ask myself everytime i look at the servers. Its tough to make these decisions honestly. And worse yet, the out right rudeness from some people because they dont like a particular aspect of the server is down right amazing. If you ask me what kind of server do I prefer to fly on. The War_Clouds_44+ server is it. US/RAF vs Luft planes, no external views, no wonderwomen view. Where skill and determination rule the skys. In addition to this, there are other settings and scripted functions i would love to implement on the servers. The death kick function is something i have been lookin at a lot lately. Set it up so if your pilot dies 2 times, you are temp banned for 5/10 minutes. Why do i like this idea? Well it certainly will make you think twice, three times, and more then likely a 4th time, Do I want to engage this bandit? DO i have an advantage. My engine is shot up and smoking, i should probably put this bird down so it dont kill me. It would reallly make the players hold dear that virtual pilots life that is in their hands. Do i think if i turned this feature on that people would play on the servers. Nope, i sure don't. There would be a handful out there that would love it. But 90% of the online players would hate it. They would say to me "i jsut want to fly, i dont want to sit on a ban list and wait to get back in". Or they would join the server, get kill 2 times, get banned, then go play somewhere else because they dont want to wait to get back in the server. These are the things i look at everytime i setup a server or am going to make changes to them. SOrry for the long drawn out post, but I am trying to find a reason to not go to work http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif hahha S!

S~ and happy flying

SPaRX

glottis77
03-31-2004, 04:46 AM
sparx, even though i am a pretty bad pilot i completely agree with you. oddly i did a bit better on the 44+ server than on the ACES server, however as you say external views made me go back to ACES and i think it is a big disadvantage for me, because i sure use it worse than others. i would love to see this death-kick thing turned ON, more realistic fights and less flying at tree-height would be the cause.

maxim26
03-31-2004, 06:14 AM
I never used no cockpit view before, but i did use external views. It was pretty convenient go go outside and look for bandit or check my six with F3.

But after I got TrackIR I feel no need in external views and lables. Now I can constantly track situation around me without effort, and onece I maintained the contact with a bandid, it's easy to keep it just with the small moves of my head.

Online experience with cockpit on and no ext, views is completly different!!! Before I found myself spending more time outside then inside.

So now when I go to HL I look for propper servers. And I was very surpriced that it's not easy. Usually it about 3 servers with real settings and they always full.

War Clouds is my favorite. Thenks to the guys who run and maintain the server.

HayateKid
03-31-2004, 08:06 AM
Instead of death-kick, how about reset score to 0. That way, the bad pilots that get killed a lot don't get reduced playing time. after all we want to have many targets.

SodBuster43
03-31-2004, 08:59 AM
My mistake SPaRX, I must have been on the 44+ server. I enjoyed flying with no externals as well.

Let's not turn this into another settings debate. I was just surprised to see different settings on one of your server. I must say that the 44+ server was very popular when I got on it http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif