PDA

View Full Version : Shaman is a problem

Benedictus_Sol
12-30-2017, 06:28 AM
At this point, with the shaman bandwagon dying down, this has become less problematic, but I have this to say. I would rather bite of my own **** and eat with a mouthful of pure wasabi, while literally being on fire, than fight a shaman on any character but my main. If I'm on my main then I will just use the cheesiest least fun approach to win at all costs against my this scumbag who dared to play shaman. Fighting games, like For Honor, get me very worked up and emotional, so to have a character who is so blatantly overpowered, and downright miserable to play against, is a big problem in my eyes. The previous "nerfs" to shaman felt like a spit in the face from Ubisoft, because they did virtually nothing to diminish the overwhelming dominance of shaman. For now I just have to alt+f4 whenever I have to fight a shaman in duel, and continue to leave angry forum posts in the hopes that something will be done to shaman. The bottom line is this: Shaman's kit is simply too overloaded, too fast, and too much stronger than all but a slim few of the other characters in the game. A character like berserker can never hope to be viable in the same game that shaman exists in. This is true for almost all of the season 1 heroes. They have simply too little kit power for shaman to be fair comparatively, and even setting balance in relation to other characters aside, playing against shaman is a toxic experience as well. How can you be expected to have fun, or be competitive, against a character that can constantly barrage you with lighting fast, high damage attacks, high mobility, and bleeds, as well as her blood trance jump, which in addition to being very hard to dodge, will do half the health of most characters. I want to try new characters! I want to have a fun, competitive experience in my duels, and not feel like I'm getting eaten alive for an entire dominion match, but against shaman, I can't have fun, and I feel like a character on a vampire slasher movie whenever I face her in a battle or objective game mode. I want to hear other peoples thoughts on the state of shaman, and game balance as a whole. Please respond with ideas for fixes, and ways to make the game better, and more fair/fun, and maybe Ubisoft will listen.

Knight_Raime
12-30-2017, 07:14 AM
It's hypocritical to claim toxicity in the very same post where you have incredibly toxic behavior.
It's also hypocritical to talk about wanting to have fun but basically ruin the fun for people who choose to play Shaman by rage quitting.

They did plenty. Not saying she's perfect as is. But pretending the changes she's received didn't lessen her pressure and power is just being willfully ignorant.
That being said you did politely ask for ideas. So here is what i've suggested a lot:

~remove splat capability from her pounce
~nerf bite damage and stamina gain
~fix wild cat's rage bug
~nerf dodge/dash recovery
~nerf throw distance

Depending on how she plays out after lag comp is in they might need to nerf top bleed poke to 500ms and nerf rage speed slightly.
They should also look into her being able to soft cancel her unblockable heavy even while OOS. its mechanically sound but idk if it's intended.

ChampionRuby50g
12-30-2017, 09:15 AM
Knights suggestions on nerfing her is exactly what should be done, if Ubi does decide to nerf her again. I personally donít have problems fighting any shaman anymore, because I known what she can do and can figure out whatís coming next. I find her kind of predictable tbh, most shaman players go for the same moves and I know how To read and counter them.

Honestly, if you are rage quitting just because the other person is playing Shaman, the problem isnít with Shaman, itís you. How are you going to get better at fighting against them is you refuse to fight at all? You arenít helping yourself at all, and just making it harder on you. Play Shaman yourself and figure out her moves, itíll make things easier.

Card1acArrest
12-30-2017, 12:46 PM
My son is a diamond rank player (when he bothers to play any more, he doesnt like the current meta, and i really dont know much about what each rank means to be honest:)) and he also just quits when he meets a Shaman in duels.

consider it an act of protest.

that does not make him nor Benedictus a hypocrite in my view. it is the only way to protest something you cant change which you feel is really unfair.

BarbeQMichael
12-30-2017, 01:22 PM
In my opinion, shaman is at the same time very problematic, but also nice with the amount of tools she is given. On her own, she is practically what is considered good, has more than one viable move and can open up turtles etc. But when she faces the old characters, she is simply too good when compared to them. The best move would have been not to release her until oc heroes rework, second best to remove her and make available again when rework comes. Maybe even nerf her to level of others, then buff back after rework, but that requires even more work. My guess is that she continues to reign until the rework, serving as an example of what we might get in the rework.

MassiveD.
12-30-2017, 03:02 PM
In my opinion, shaman is at the same time very problematic, but also nice with the amount of tools she is given. On her own, she is practically what is considered good, has more than one viable move and can open up turtles etc. But when she faces the old characters, she is simply too good when compared to them. The best move would have been not to release her until oc heroes rework, second best to remove her and make available again when rework comes. Maybe even nerf her to level of others, then buff back after rework, but that requires even more work. My guess is that she continues to reign until the rework, serving as an example of what we might get in the rework.

How does Shaman open up turtles again?

BTTrinity
12-30-2017, 03:35 PM
How does Shaman open up turtles again?

The 400ms bash, and 400ms soft cancels.

It's hypocritical to claim toxicity in the very same post where you have incredibly toxic behavior.
It's also hypocritical to talk about wanting to have fun but basically ruin the fun for people who choose to play Shaman by rage quitting.

~remove splat capability from her pounce
~nerf bite damage and stamina gain
~fix wild cat's rage bug
~nerf dodge/dash recovery
~nerf throw distance

Glad Im not the only one, Ive always said:

- Either remove the guaranteed bash/bite after throw or nerf her throw distance to be in line with the rest of the assassins.
- Remove Wallsplat off Bash
- Nerf Bite Damage

Whats the bug for Wild Cats Rage?

MassiveD.
12-30-2017, 04:04 PM

So it's not her "toolkit" per say, just some ******** 400ms attacks.

In anyway, her headbut is the biggest problem, because it's hard to react when shes very close and does it.

The cancel into light is not really a problem because its blockable and even parryable, her other moves are ok, nothing other assassins can't do.

In anyway, her pounce should be like wardens, 500 ms. and she would be just fine.

BTTrinity
12-30-2017, 04:38 PM
So it's not her "toolkit" per say, just some ******** 400ms attacks.

In anyway, her headbut is the biggest problem, because it's hard to react when shes very close and does it.

The cancel into light is not really a problem because its blockable and even parryable, her other moves are ok, nothing other assassins can't do.

In anyway, her pounce should be like wardens, 500 ms. and she would be just fine.

She can engage a 500ms forward lunge from any direction, that is aids in 4v4's but I really wouldnt call it op. (no other assassins can do that)

MassiveD.
12-30-2017, 04:43 PM
She can engage a 500ms forward lunge from any direction, that is aids in 4v4's but I really wouldnt call it op. (no other assassins can do that)

I always just parry those, that's her most predictable move, but maybe it's just me

David_gorda
12-30-2017, 05:11 PM
I always just parry those, that's her most predictable move, but maybe it's just me lol sure and you complain about lawbringer :D
You dont happen to be Alustars brother?

BTTrinity
12-30-2017, 06:22 PM
I always just parry those, that's her most predictable move, but maybe it's just me

I can parry them in a 1v1, I never parry them in 4v4s when good player uses it to attack my blind-spot while I'm already being whopped up, highly doubt you do either xD

MassiveD.
12-30-2017, 06:45 PM
lol sure and you complain about lawbringer :D
You dont happen to be Alustars brother?

I complained about a very specific glitchy situation, what exactly are you angry here at?

But then again, you shown time at again your inability to stay on topic in these threads, not sure why you are participating apart from being toxic

MassiveD.
12-30-2017, 06:50 PM
I can parry them in a 1v1, I never parry them in 4v4s when good player uses it to attack my blind-spot while I'm already being whopped up, highly doubt you do either xD

I can, but I'm leveling PK right now because she absolutely gumba-stomps all Shamans, they are hopeless against her.

Your mileage may vary.

https://i.imgur.com/7AQdCgA.jpg

David_gorda
12-30-2017, 07:15 PM
I complained about a very specific glitchy situation, what exactly are you angry here at?

But then again, you shown time at again your inability to stay on topic in these threads, not sure why you are participating apart from being toxicand i explained in the lawbringer thread that it wasnt a glich and you were wrong. I am not angry and not toxic i just find it funny you say you easy parry 500ms attack that can hit any direction, havent Been parried once as a prestige 6 shaman doing that attack but i Guess you are a PC player i you CSN consistently parry 500ms attacks.

MassiveD.
12-30-2017, 08:26 PM
and i explained in the lawbringer thread that it wasnt a glich and you were wrong. I am not angry and not toxic i just find it funny you say you easy parry 500ms attack that can hit any direction, havent Been parried once as a prestige 6 shaman doing that attack but i Guess you are a PC player i you CSN consistently parry 500ms attacks.

As I said, your mileage may wary, I just had a game against 1 centurion and 3 top geared Shaman team, and I personally made all 3 of those shamans quit because I parried and or dodge poked their every single attack until they lost their will to carry on.

Btw nearly all Assassins in the game have 500 or faster light attacks, and they all can be parried, in fact you can easily parry PK's / Wardens / Orochis zone attacks if you are expecting them, and those attacks are way faster than 500 ms, 400 ms on PK in fact.

Furthermore, the only real problematic move that Shaman has is in fact the headbutt, because IT IS 400ms , and if done from point blank range it gives you no time to react, and she can even feint pounce into pounce which is 100% guaranteed if you dodge the feint attempt.

It's a BS move because it is so easy to land and has tremendous consequences for your rivals.

And getting back to the Lawbringer argument, I did further testing with multiple people and we all confirmed that sometimes you simply cant dodge LB's light attack after the auto-shove, and I'm very sorry for disregarding your argument, but when you can duplicate a scenario over and over, you saying "well you're wrong because I know better" is simply irrelevant to the conversation, like how you bringing up my lawbringer testing is irrelevant to anything in this thread.

In fact, your whole argument is that "well I can't do it, so no one can", yet I'm certain that you don't even know about game breaking exploits like zone-auto parry and people straight up being able to feint guard break into lights, yet alone perform those moves.

Please stop, kappa.

brashtralas
12-30-2017, 09:04 PM
As I said, your mileage may wary, I just had a game against 1 centurion and 3 top geared Shaman team, and I personally made all 3 of those shamans quit because I parried and or dodge poked their every single attack until they lost their will to carry on.

Btw nearly all Assassins in the game have 500 or faster light attacks, and they all can be parried, in fact you can easily parry PK's / Wardens / Orochis zone attacks if you are expecting them, and those attacks are way faster than 500 ms, 400 ms on PK in fact.

Furthermore, the only real problematic move that Shaman has is in fact the headbutt, because IT IS 400ms , and if done from point blank range it gives you no time to react, and she can even feint pounce into pounce which is 100% guaranteed if you dodge the feint attempt.

It's a BS move because it is so easy to land and has tremendous consequences for your rivals.

And getting back to the Lawbringer argument, I did further testing with multiple people and we all confirmed that sometimes you simply cant dodge LB's light attack after the auto-shove, and I'm very sorry for disregarding your argument, but when you can duplicate a scenario over and over, you saying "well you're wrong because I know better" is simply irrelevant to the conversation, like how you bringing up my lawbringer testing is irrelevant to anything in this thread.

In fact, your whole argument is that "well I can't do it, so no one can", yet I'm certain that you don't even know about game breaking exploits like zone-auto parry and people straight up being able to feint guard break into lights, yet alone perform those moves.

Please stop, kappa.

And your whole argument is ďI can do it, so should everyone else!Ē

Sorry, but parrying shamans leap and pk zone is EXTREMELY uncommon, and borderline improbable on console(on reaction, not prediction).

The reason shamans is such nonsense is that it can come from ANY direction. Meaning you canít predict like you can pk or warden.

If you can do it, the good for you. I mean that, itís a bit of a wow moment, but itís not common, and balancing the game for all six of you is.... unprofitable.

MassiveD.
12-30-2017, 09:09 PM
You can react parry any single attack in the game right now, fact

Alustar.
12-30-2017, 09:13 PM

Please stop, kappa.

Thank you for this post MassiveD.
What is touched on here is the core problem facing the rift on the community in for honor, and that is the difference between the top tier, high ranked MMR players and the casual, non competitive players. In for honor you have skills checks, just like with any other game. The defensive skill check in for honor is set so that if you want to compete at high ranked play, you have to be able to recognize and react to attacks at 500ms. If you cannot, you do not meet the the skill check necessary to perform at that same level.

I, for one, don't have any illusions of my ability(or lack there of) to block or parry these attacks. Therefore I don't run classes that rely on blocking as a means of damage mitigation. And even then, I don't have the practice or time invested to compete at that level. However, knowing this does not so me from playing, because you don't HAVE to be in the top 10% of players just to win a match.

Also, yes reduce the 400ms. Just put of curiosity, that is the predators hunger/mercy, right? Imo the only attacks we should have at 400ms are follow up/confirmed hits after a combo has been initiated.

Side note for discussion, what is the issue with predators mercy leading to wallsplats? Just paying devil's advocate here, if someone already has their back to a wall, what is the problem? And also is have to ask if the predators hunger leads to any confirmed hits, as maybe that's why? I could see that. Again, just curious.

MassiveD.
12-30-2017, 09:24 PM
And your whole argument is “I can do it, so should everyone else!”

Sorry, but parrying shamans leap and pk zone is EXTREMELY uncommon, and borderline improbable on console(on reaction, not prediction).

The reason shamans is such nonsense is that it can come from ANY direction. Meaning you can’t predict like you can pk or warden.

If you can do it, the good for you. I mean that, it’s a bit of a wow moment, but it’s not common, and balancing the game for all six of you is.... unprofitable.

Let me repeat, every single assassin in the game has 500 ms or faster lights, and every single assassin in the game can hide directions of their lights with reflex-guard.

Fact - every single decent player in the game can and will block those light attacks.

In fact, Shamans jumping attack is easy to parry because it is telegraphed, once shes in motion, she can't feint, she can only do a swing, so either block it or if you're confident enough - reflex parry it.

Furthermore, you are telling me all these things when I already did all the testing related to Shaman and wrote a huge article about her here:

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1813618-99-rounds-with-lvl-3-Shaman-bot

To go even further, playing more against Shaman players I went ahead and changed my mind on a lot of things about Shaman, except for the glitchy 400 ms indicators, and 400 ms pounce which is nonsensically good.

I honestly would invite you to take the time and do your own 99 rounds against LVL 3 Shaman bot doing nothing more but trying to parry her every single attack..

There is a surprising amount of information on how to effectively deal with Shamans that you will get out of it.

And before you start shouting "Shaman main", here:

https://i.imgur.com/raSbRo9.jpg

Did exactly one game with her, and hundreds against her until I came to the conclusion that shes one headbutt nerf from becoming mediocre and that Gladiator is a much more sensible investment.

Just like you said that the game should not be balanced around one player - I completely agree.

And that's why you will have to learn how to parry light attacks from assassins just like the rest of us, or find another game, it's up to you really.

Because people that I play with and against, noticeably a Centurion main streamer (can't remember his name now) that I fought against, who could straight up parry every single PK zone and every single light attempt I did against him - simply don't care that you can't parry lights, they can , they are already godlike at it because they practice day after day, and will laugh all the way to the bank with even the slightest light attack speed nerf.

All light attacks are perfectly balanced right now, period.

MassiveD.
12-30-2017, 09:29 PM
Thank you for this post MassiveD.
What is touched on here is the core problem facing the rift on the community in for honor, and that is the difference between the top tier, high ranked MMR players and the casual, non competitive players. In for honor you have skills checks, just like with any other game. The defensive skill check in for honor is set so that if you want to compete at high ranked play, you have to be able to recognize and react to attacks at 500ms. If you cannot, you do not meet the the skill check necessary to perform at that same level.

I, for one, don't have any illusions of my ability(or lack there of) to block or parry these attacks. Therefore I don't run classes that rely on blocking as a means of damage mitigation. And even then, I don't have the practice or time invested to compete at that level. However, knowing this does not so me from playing, because you don't HAVE to be in the top 10% of players just to win a match.

Also, yes reduce the 400ms. Just put of curiosity, that is the predators hunger/mercy, right? Imo the only attacks we should have at 400ms are follow up/confirmed hits after a combo has been initiated.

Side note for discussion, what is the issue with predators mercy leading to wallsplats? Just paying devil's advocate here, if someone already has their back to a wall, what is the problem? And also is have to ask if the predators hunger leads to any confirmed hits, as maybe that's why? I could see that. Again, just curious.

On a side note, every time I spend few hours practicing to parry Warden's / PK's / Orochi's zones with a friend - all other attacks in game look slow motion to me :D

So reaction is definitely something that you can work on if you want to be good at For Honor.

Being able to reflex parry is OP OP

Alustar.
12-30-2017, 09:34 PM
On a side note, every time I spend few hours practicing to parry Warden's / PK's / Orochi's zones with a friend - all other attacks in game look slow motion to me :D

So reaction is definitely something that you can work on if you want to be good at For Honor.

Being able to reflex parry is OP OP

are you on PS4? I'd love to duel you to work on my own game. I haven't had anyone parry my consistently since Antonio left. :(

MassiveD.
12-30-2017, 09:49 PM
are you on PS4? I'd love to duel you to work on my own game. I haven't had anyone parry my consistently since Antonio left. :(

PC friend

Alustar.
12-30-2017, 10:12 PM
PC friend

Bah, that sucks. If I ever get it on pc I'll hit you up

MassiveD.
12-30-2017, 10:32 PM
Bah, that sucks. If I ever get it on pc I'll hit you up

Yes please :3

Hormly
12-30-2017, 10:58 PM
The shaman wears her underwear backwards and has male genitals

ArchDukeInstinct
12-31-2017, 01:34 AM

Nobody cares about anecdotal examples of terrible Shamans being completely outclassed in skill.

MassiveD.
12-31-2017, 01:46 AM
Nobody cares about anecdotal examples of terrible Shamans being completely outclassed in skill.

Literally the same thing applies to outclassed players Į\_(ツ)_/Į

But hey, don't get me wrong, she does need fixing, most of all she needs her light indicators to get a good look over from developers, because she has 500 ms lights with 400 ms indicators, that's rubbish

Alustar.
12-31-2017, 02:03 AM
I thought indicators were supposed to come out before the attack though?

HazelrahFirefly
12-31-2017, 03:20 AM
The more I play the more I am finding that PKs and Aramusha are worse than Shamans. I've been playing Shaman some though, so I believe that helped me learn what she might do.

She still might have a bit too much in her kit, and frankly I think that feinting needs to be toned down entirely in this game. The indicator for it should be much grander and on screen longer. I'm also not sure that 400ms attacks should exist at all.

MassiveD.
12-31-2017, 03:24 AM
I thought indicators were supposed to come out before the attack though?

You'd think that, but in Shamans case, when she raises the axe to attack, its not represented with the indicator, only the bit where she swings it, that makes the indicator flash for a bout 400 ms rather than 500 ms how it should (because the attack itself is technically 500 ms)

Alustar.
12-31-2017, 04:12 AM
Got it, effectively cutting down the time before she actually hits. Hopefully they patch that then.

Knight_Raime
12-31-2017, 08:18 PM

Glad Im not the only one, Ive always said:

- Either remove the guaranteed bash/bite after throw or nerf her throw distance to be in line with the rest of the assassins.
- Remove Wallsplat off Bash
- Nerf Bite Damage

Whats the bug for Wild Cats Rage?

tons of people over on the competitive subreddit want the guaranteed bash/bite removed from throw. i'd just rather bite be nerfed.
And the current bug is that the animation and indicator do not match up at all or with the first frame that you see stamina being consumed.
I showed a mod video proof of it and he/she sent it directly to the devs. So hopefully the devs are at least aware of it. I feel like if this was fixed people would be more reliably able to deal with the attack itself.

Rye.Bread.
12-31-2017, 10:03 PM
I'd rather shaman just be removed from the game and replaced with a different character. It's never fun playing against them- if a match has more than one shaman on the enemy team I've taken to just quitting and doing something else. Sometimes I'll come back after the 10 minutes.
http://www.trashcanswarehouse.com/assets/images/product-photos/witt/wcd24cl.jpg

ArchDukeInstinct
12-31-2017, 10:26 PM
I'd rather shaman just be removed from the game and replaced with a different character. It's never fun playing against them- if a match has more than one shaman on the enemy team I've taken to just quitting and doing something else. Sometimes I'll come back after the 10 minutes.
http://www.trashcanswarehouse.com/assets/images/product-photos/witt/wcd24cl.jpg

Out with Shaman, in with Huntress.

Hormly
12-31-2017, 10:50 PM
'Cut scene' moves dont belong in this game

Alustar.
12-31-2017, 11:46 PM
'Cut scene' moves dont belong in this game

So then we should get rid of executions too.

BTTrinity
01-01-2018, 04:24 AM
tons of people over on the competitive subreddit want the guaranteed bash/bite removed from throw. i'd just rather bite be nerfed.
And the current bug is that the animation and indicator do not match up at all or with the first frame that you see stamina being consumed.
I showed a mod video proof of it and he/she sent it directly to the devs. So hopefully the devs are at least aware of it. I feel like if this was fixed people would be more reliably able to deal with the attack itself.

Her throw distance/guarantees is a much bigger problem than her bite damage, at least in 4v4's

Ackturi
01-01-2018, 04:28 AM
dedicated server beta (at least from my test experience) all attacks seemed slightly slower since it wasn't the players connection I was facing. I parried more lights during the test weekend than I have been able to my entire playtime on p2p.....

My speedtest is: https://i.imgur.com/wdRp2Rx.png so I know I don't have bad internet, but in p2p on 4s indicators aren't the same speeds for all players like it (hopefully) will be when servers come out.

Knight_Raime
01-01-2018, 06:33 AM
Her throw distance/guarantees is a much bigger problem than her bite damage, at least in 4v4's

I can see that. Apperantly competitive FH has moved to 4v4 while I wasn't looking (i'm being told that anyway.)
I'm mainly a duelist so my perspective on heros is different.

Alustar.
01-01-2018, 06:55 AM
I can see that. Apperantly competitive FH has moved to 4v4 while I wasn't looking (i'm being told that anyway.)
I'm mainly a duelist so my perspective on heros is different.

I can attest to this. I don't know how many times I've been able to keep a person locked up till I was done with them just off of wall splat alone in corridors that should have been too wide for that. I think her throw distance should be maybe a little further than peacekeeper. That and even if they miss a ledge I was aiming for, the confirmed follow up attack typically finishes the job.

bmason1000
01-01-2018, 10:31 AM
I can attest to this. I don't know how many times I've been able to keep a person locked up till I was done with them just off of wall splat alone in corridors that should have been too wide for that. I think her throw distance should be maybe a little further than peacekeeper. That and even if they miss a ledge I was aiming for, the confirmed follow up attack typically finishes the job. Which is part of why her throw distance needs adjusting. Between the throw itself and the guaranteed follow up headbutt, the distance she can move an opponent rivals warlord and raider.

The other part is that it allows her to get predators mercy, an obscenely powerful attack, guaranteed off gb. Which is an obscenely easy to accomplish scenario and that is a little ridiculous.

Hormly
01-01-2018, 12:22 PM
Why is her pounce cancellable into GB 😕 is that really necessary

BTTrinity
01-01-2018, 02:15 PM
Why is her pounce cancellable into GB �� is that really necessary

Its not... considering how fast it is AND the rest of the kit.

bananaflow2017
01-01-2018, 06:21 PM
Just started playing her for 1 Rep. Sorry to das nur the kit is simply op... feint options like a kensei, more throw distance than a warlord. Still broken indicator for her dash atack, a strong zone and so on.
Everything other characters need zu do with hard feints she is getting die free with a softfeint...
And fir the people with the reflex guard, this is only against aramusha with a little lag an issue....
Pounce also broken.... even with the feature that she can pounce again after she failed is One of the biggest jokes.
This character has got no real weaknesses.... this is the character making bad players much better....
When i face a shaman i wish i would face a cent pre nerf again.