PDA

View Full Version : The Inquisitor Cometh: DEUS VULT

Rye.Bread.
12-29-2017, 07:34 PM

IT SAYS YOU'RE A HERETIC!

Welcome one and all, to my second character suggestion thread! Today I bring you the Inquisitor, a terrifyingly tall zealot eager to crush the opponents of Mars. Heavily armored on the inside just as the outside, this man is a nightmare to the faithless. As servants to the god of coin and of steel, the metal forged within their monasteries is unlike any other, and without equal. Those of his order are taught from birth to have unwavering faith in their god. He has two gimmicks by which he is played, these being hyperarmor and a new status effect I'd like to lovingly call maim. Furthermore, he naturally has very high base HP as he cannot dodge attacks in the normal fashion. To be quite frank, as well, he wields a BFM (Big ****ing Mace, if you were curious). So, without further ado, I'll get started with the implicit bonuses, followed by moveset, chased by feats, and finally some strategies. Please, if you like the idea post within the thread to keep it alive.

http://mainfun.ru/images/12/11-11/knight.jpg https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. GGwCuDcKACMPAZLlDqTGpAHaI1%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

Implicit Traits

Heavy
Earn more renown by assisting or saving Heroes, and defending objectives to unlock feats during a match.

Duty and Commitment
After startup, all your attacks have hyper-armor. (Yes, even lights!)

Careful Movements
When dashing/dodging, you cannot be guard broken, though your movement cannot negate attacks. Additionally, it is a slow animation.
(Whereas normally you dodge to negate an attack and GB is the counter- this is the opposite. You can tank through an attack but if they try a GB they will fail. You can, of course, still dodge special moves like punches, kicks, The Long Arm, and such as normal.)
Note: During dodges/dashes you don't have a block, since you have a deflect.

Maim on Heavy M
Whenever you successfully land a heavy attack, the opponent is maimed.
Duration: 7~9 seconds.

Maim
Maimed opponents take damage when dodging, dashing, rolling, or running.
Note: There is no stagger from this damage source.

Deflect D
Deflect attacks with your armor by dodging into it just before it lands.
Deflect can be followed up with TO HELL

Cancel Unblockable
Unblockable special moves such as TO HELL and Might of the Church can be feinted at startup.

Enhanced Light Attacks
Light attacks are not interrupted on block.
Light attacks are still interrupted on superior block.

Moveset

Offeratory Collection (Zone attack) M
Heavy attack, followed by one step forward, and another heavy attack. Cannot be cancelled/feinted but it is excellent for mowing down regular troops.

Chains
Break and Maim M
Light, Heavy

Shatter and Destroy M
Heavy, Heavy

Crush and Defeat
Light, Light

Special Moves
Kick on Block M U
Block an attack and press the Guard Break Button to kick the enemy in the leg. Staggers, applies short maim (~3 seconds). Guaranteed unless enemy BACK dodges. (Cannot be dodged on a side dodge.)
MIX-UP: You may follow up this move with a light attack, which may be parried, but not blocked. Initiates chains.

Kick on Parry Mix Up M U
After a parry, quickly press the guard break button to kick the enemy in the leg. Staggers, applies short maim. (~3 seconds.) Kick guaranteed unless enemy BACK dodges.
MIX-UP: You may follow up this move with a light attack, which may be parried, but not blocked. Initiates chains.

Kick on Light Mix Up M U
After any light opener, press the guard break button to kick the enemy in the leg. Staggers, applies short maim (~3 seconds). Guaranteed unless enemy BACK dodges. (Cannot be dodged on a side dodge.)

TO HELL D M U
After a deflect, press the heavy attack button to smash the enemy into the ground with a devastating overhead slam.. Unblockable. Applies knockdown, maim, high damage. Will hit consistently unless dodge-rolled (which consistently dodges it). (AKA full reset. You cannot do a normal dodge to get out as that would let you punish his punishing you.)

TO HELL Parry Mixup M U
After a parry, press the heavy attack button to slam the enemy into the ground. Unblockable. Applies knockdown, maim, high damage. This version can be dodged and punished normally.

Might of the Church M U
End a chain by holding the attack button to launch the enemy far backwards. Unblockable, Unparryable (like punch or kick). No damage, slow animation. Applies Maim.

Feats
Tier 1: Speed Revive, Conqueror, Flesh Wound
Tier 2: Juggernaut, Rock Steady, Inspire
Tier 3: Second Wind,Tough As Nails, Crossbow
Tier 4: Wrath of the Church, Catapult, Auto-Revive
(Wrath of the Church: Continuously drains stamina of enemies in area at a fast rate)

Strategies
As
Make sure to apply maim early and often, this ensures that the opponent cannot just dodge or dodge-attack every move you make. Make trades where applicable, but make sure to score big on their mistakes. Remember to dodge frequently while being ganked as you cannot be guard broken in this state! As long as you have the HP, this should help you hold out. Do note that you have lots of mixups that will help you apply your maim. Make sure to get in their face as you are a big scary man with molasses filled legs. As for combos, a good starter is Kick on Block-into Break and Maim. This gets you a short maim to get your chain in, which results in the longer maim being applied to give you more options.
Against
Keep your distance, a hero like this is naturally weaker against an enemy he can't get in close and apply maims to, like nobushi and lawbringer. Furthermore, many of his attacks are slow and do not have hyperarmor during startup, which is the time you must attack if you want to interrupt him. Be wary against his light attacks as they are naturally faster and therefore get hyper-armor much sooner. Do note that he has a regular block as well as a deflect- try to feint and bait his dodge. Back dodge is your friend as it will help you reset, even if you have to take the damage from a previously applied maim. This man is scary and he wants to be in your face, though he might take his time in doing it.

Image Gallery

https://youtu.be/mF_nXcgEXxg?t=46s
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/4f/7b/19/4f7b193c1b4e8a705a1e8cecb12dc5e2--warhammer--grey-knights.jpg
http://www.toledosword.com/im/GRM15BLKTS.jpg
https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FqzMdz97.jpg&f=1
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FXmTwKZmSts/TPDrV7I901I/AAAAAAAAC9E/DchCVNNBlCE/s1600/monty-python-spanish-inquisition.jpg

I think this guy is unique because we do not yet have a big huge mace guy for the knights, and many people have voiced their desire for more knightly characters to be added to the knights faction. Furthermore, he has a regular block AND a deflect, which is allowed to him because of his heavy armor which is forged for that purpose. He also has many unblockable special moves due to the sheer weight of his weapon. I do realize he technically could have a vortex via leg kick into light into kick and so on, but this can always be negated via a back dodge- and thus isn't a true vortex (unless walled). I also like his leg kick because it almost seems like his entire persona commands you to kneel before the envoy of Mars...
This post is open to comments and constructive criticism; I may edit this post to add suggestions into it. I would also love to hear from any Ubisoft personnel (mods included!) who may like to weigh in on it- any suggestions you have regarding balance are greatly appreciated.
P.S. This hero is preferably male only (like the lawbringer), but I guess he doesn't have to be. All the DEUS VULT memes have a guy though.
P.P.S I left parry as a defense against him (and especially in dittos, given deflect is weak to prior maims) alone as I with this character at least I want to leave it to Ubisoft to fix or balance the parry mechanic as a whole.
P.P.P.S As an animation suggestion, his light attacks could perhaps be just punches, with his mace being used for heavy attacks, blocks, parries, and things like that.
P.P.P.P.S Instead of damaging you for a dodge or preventing the ability to dodge, he could easily be tooled as a dedicated mid bully assassin killer by changing his feats and changing maim to prevent only dodge attacks (when maimed, you cannot perform dodge special moves like kicks, punches, dodge attacks, etc.) This would be incredibly useful for the Marching Fire update as we can see from (the publicly released footage & E3) that Tiandi seems to do a LOT of dodge attacks.

Tyrjo
12-30-2017, 02:38 PM
I like it.

Hyper armor on lights seem slightly OP in my eyes though.

Maim should maybe give your opponent the inability to dodge and dodge roll. Not make them take dmg if they do it.

I think he should have a built in "Punch through" in his kit.

Rye.Bread.
12-30-2017, 04:07 PM
I like it.

Hyper armor on lights seem slightly OP in my eyes though.

Maim should maybe give your opponent the inability to dodge and dodge roll. Not make them take dmg if they do it.

I think he should have a built in "Punch through" in his kit.

1) It kinda could be, but the whole tradeoff is that he never gets hyperarmor on startup of any attacks, so fast characters can easily interrupt him if quick enough- his lights might also not be very high damage, especially if
P.P.P.S As an animation suggestion, his light attacks could perhaps be just punches, with his mace being used for heavy attacks, blocks, parries, and things like that. was taken into consideration and his lights were punches. Additionally, one of his big weaknesses is slow animations in general.
If hyper armored lights really are too OP, I could remove Enhanced light attacks so that his lights are still bounced by blocks. I had it there because the other big club user (Shugoki) has it.

2) Not a bad idea, but then if the opponent is maimed they can't back dodge out of your kick-light-kick-light-kick combo- it would be a vortex. While I like the idea, it would completely shut down a good chunk of the cast. This way, they can accept maybe 1 light attack worth of damage for a dodge, and for things like shinobi's double dash, they would receive a heavy's worth of damage. I am unsure. It is a consideration though.

3) I could trade up the unblockable on To Hell for built in punch through.. so you still get flattened by blocking but it would reduce the damage some. I could also add damage to Wrath of the Church but make it blockable and give it punch through.
"Your damaging special moves have punch through" could be a new implicit.

Love to hear if you or anybody else has any counterpoints for these three rebuttals- I like your ideas though, creative.

UbiJurassic
12-31-2017, 01:32 AM
Thanks for sharing the idea, Rye.Bread! Reading through it, it's very apparent that you put a lot of time and effort into detailing your hero idea! I personally like the "Maim" idea. Something to incentive players who are afflicted by it to stand and fight instead of backing off. I'll certainly note the idea down and make sure it's sent along to the team. :D

I also was not expecting the Spanish Inquisition. :p

Rye.Bread.
12-31-2017, 02:46 AM
Thanks for sharing the idea, Rye.Bread! Reading through it, it's very apparent that you put a lot of time and effort into detailing your hero idea! I personally like the "Maim" idea. Something to incentive players who are afflicted by it to stand and fight instead of backing off. I'll certainly note the idea down and make sure it's sent along to the team. :D

I also was not expecting the Spanish Inquisition. :p

NOBODY EVER EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION

Thanks Jurassic; I do quite enjoy making posts like this.

Eyyupyeser95
12-31-2017, 04:16 AM
Okay i need him in game being a lawbringer main this character speaks to me

Redditmember55
01-02-2018, 07:56 AM
Rye.Bread
I like your concept, I want this character in the game, I can imagine, his brutal executions with his warhammer.
Maybe some feat changes: Flesh Wound is a tier 2 if I am not mistaken not a tier 1, we should change this for a special feat only for this character. He is not a vanguard so we should change in tier 2 inspire for a typical heavy feat, and in tier 3 second wind could be changed for punch through, Or is he a mix of a vanguard and a heavy or he is just a heavy? Because when the first is true, then he could have all the vanguard feats too.
How much live should he have? 140 Hp like warlord, conq, raider?
Keep going with this post, In year 2 if he comes real, he will be my new main.

TecDeRa
06-08-2018, 07:36 PM
We need this character and we need it now.

Remnancy1
06-09-2018, 03:47 AM
If he does shout "DEUS VULT"!!!! I will consider him a complete failure

PiusLeviticus
06-09-2018, 04:03 AM
Non Nobis Domine! Non Nobis, Sed Nomini Tuo Da Gloriam!