PDA

View Full Version : Customizable flagships

Nox_29
12-27-2017, 07:56 PM
The flagship of a player is an important part of the players actions in the game. It's probably the player's main ship for quite a while until he/she can build ships that are better than the flagship.

Since it's such an important ship, I've always wanted to be able to customize it a bit. For example choose different looks or change different parts. I know that in 1404 the coat of arms was visible on the sails but that was about it.

It could also be nice that you can choose between different ships as your flagship. Each ship has different stats and thus could the player be able to choose one according to his/hers playing style. Warfare oriented flagship, transport oriented flagship or even focust on speed.

I would like to know what the Anno community thinks of this idea.

iruet
12-27-2017, 10:26 PM
What do you actually suggest? It does not really make sense for me atm...

Nox_29
12-28-2017, 12:14 AM
Well I was thinking about 2 different possibilities to make flagships a bit customizable

1) Give the player the ability to visually customize their flagship. For example different visual versions of the same ship. And also make it possible to perhaps customize flags and sails on the ship.

or

2) Let the player choose between several different flagships that each focus on a different playing style. For example a big transportation ship or a combat ship or perhaps a very agile and fast ship. In this way the player could choose a flagship that fits his/hers playing style.

stylisticsagi
12-28-2017, 08:22 AM
I loved the coat of arms in 1404!
Apart from that i know what you mean altough a flagship must always have the same stats all random good at transporting tough not the best, good at combat tough not the best.
Having a diffrent ship at the start of the game can really unbalance things pretty big early on.
I love the idea of the gold ship from 1404 and i love to see this way being able to unloack more cosmetics for your flagship or perhaps even other ships as well.
Altough the gold ship achievement was a nearly impossible thing to get so the difficulty for those cosmetics should be waaay lower (perhaps 1 wich is this difficult, after all achievements tend to make players play the game much longer then the otherwise would have).

But i would keep it to flagship visual option and coat of arm option only.
Not starting with this type of hull, this type of sail etc...
A thing wich i do think would be cool to later in the game have your flagship upgradable so it does become the most powerfull ship in your arsenal but not free off course.
I always felt sorry for my flagship in 1404 when it was sailing alongside those larger warships haha.

iruet
12-28-2017, 11:19 AM
I love your idea, but I still don't totally get how you want to customize the ships. You are talking about different parts to customize, does that mean that one ship can have a captain's quarter and others don't have that? I like the idea of being able to choose the sails you want to use, would be fun if you can completely customize those :).

The idea of different flagships attracts me somehow, just a way to focus better on your playing style. I understand what you want to do here :)

AgmasGold
12-28-2017, 11:56 AM
I would definitely like something like the Golden Flagship to work towards again. Almost impossible, but getting it would be a huge achievement. (I never got it in 1404, but I am on track to 100% 2070 at the moment)

It terms of other customization, 2070 had 2 different command ship types, and you could customize your ark. Being able to make minor visual changes to make your flagship distinct would be pretty cool, but I feel like some things could look a little awkward in certain situations. Even something like a flag (not just the sail) displaying a coat of arms would be a nice feature. And a selection (2 or more) of flagships would be nice.

Maybe having a flagship that changes as the game goes on, so that the flagship maintains its status as the largest and most decadent ship in the fleet. Having some kind of system so you could upgrade the flagship (for an extortionate cost - its meant to be visual and stylistically uncommon) would be nice.

Nox_29
12-28-2017, 12:26 PM
A thing which I do think would be cool to later in the game have your flagship upgradable so it does become the most powerful ship in your arsenal but not free off course.
I always felt sorry for my flagship in 1404 when it was sailing alongside those larger warships haha.

Maybe having a flagship that changes as the game goes on, so that the flagship maintains its status as the largest and most decadent ship in the fleet. Having some kind of system so you could upgrade the flagship (for an extortionate cost - its meant to be visual and stylistically uncommon) would be nice.

I do like these ideas for being able to upgrade your flagship during the game. I too felt sorry for the flagship in late game and I tended to avoid combat with, since it couldn't keep up with the large warships. Upgrading the ship could be connected to a certain civilization level. Or, if there is going to be some kind of research thing available like in 2070, it could also be something that you can research.
Also, your flagship should stay the fanciest ship in the fleet, right?

But then again, isn't the large warship intended to be the best at one thing which is warfare? The flagship is more of a jack of all trades, which is why it is okay, but not great anything. This is something to think about.

Having a diffrent ship at the start of the game can really unbalance things pretty big early on.

Concerning the customization of the flagship itself, I understand that choosing between different flagships could be problematic for balance. But then again, choosing the right flagship for your playing style can be part of the strategy in the game.

Thinking in this direction, maybe the upgrade for your flagship is the one that will push the ship at being better in one aspect, but not all. This way the flagship could still be a jack of all trades, but not overpowered in any way.

Visual customization is something that I would really appreciate, but I don't have any great ideas about it myself. But some nice suggestions where already made in this thread.

banan1996.1996
12-28-2017, 03:54 PM
In terms of visual changes I only need different colours of sails with different coats of arms on them like it was in Anno 1404 - only to be able to differ players' ships at first sight.

I believe that flagship's stats should always be the same at the beginning of the game. If research is a thing in Anno 1800 then we should be able to upgrade the flagship and being able to choose which way we want to upgrade it: trade, speed or naval battles.

To customise it more I would give the flagship more item sockets than any other ship. In Anno 1404 it had two sockets but there were also other ships with two sockets available so I would give the flagship three sockets for items. With items we could increase its cargo capacity, speed or firepower. More item sockets could really make flagship more unique.

I would like to see a return of something like a gold ship but it has to require less effort. Also it was impossible to get it in Anno 1404 due to some achievements being bugged and some quests had requirements that were impossible to be met - I once read on wiki that one quest from NPC required only a patrician level but also you had to produce meat for this quest. I hope we can avoid such weird mistakes and requirements in Anno 1800.