PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion about buildings' grounds graphics

banan1996.1996
12-17-2017, 06:37 PM
Several people during AnnoCast 02 mentioned the problem of grounds of buildings not matching the roads around them. That was also a minor issue, from visual point of view, in Anno 1404 especially.

Houses and factories and farms buildings from low civilization stages usually have dirt grounds which match the dirt roads but look weird when close to cobblestone roads which you usually build after advancing your population. I would suggest giving player the option to upgrade such buildings' grounds, maybe using some money and stone, to upgrade the way it looks so that it can match the cobblestone roads.

Some people suggested that grounds could be changed automatically based on what kind of road surrounds it. I am afraid that such system might be hard to implement while doing it manually could both solve the problem and would be easy to implement.

Of course it would require preparing two versions of buildings (with dirt and cobblestone grounds) on lower civilization tiers. Higher civilization tiers might have only cobblestone ground because eventually you always use cobblestone roads after all.

I think that this problem is very important when it comes to creating beautiful cities which many players want to have, right?

stylisticsagi
12-18-2017, 03:32 PM
I love this idea!

Swimming-Paul
12-18-2017, 08:00 PM
Wow Banan thatīs an excellent idea. I was one of those concerned about the buildingīs floor textures and I didnīt think of this solution. I did suggest the floor textures changing automatically depending on the type of road around the building because I thought that would make it more simple, but I think your idea is brilliant and I really hope that it can be implemented. It may require quite some work but I think the results would be visually rewarding. I was always very sad about the tavern in Anno 1404, which was a beautiful building but had that sandy floor texture, and would never fit well in the city centers. And thatīs just one example!