PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion - For Honor Starter Edition and Sales Model

Tom_Tom08
12-17-2017, 05:51 PM
Preamble
In my opinion I've never been a fan of games offering various price points for a single game with just added bonuses. Maybe I'm old school and just liked when games came out you went and bought it and everyone was on the same playing field. It's obvious that gaming companies have realized that players will pay for the 'best' version of the game especially those with more disposable income. Even though those versions hardly ever offer anything that makes the game better, and after BF2 it's apparent that players wont stand for the pay-to-win approach. And it's also my opinion that selling a game for anything other than the standard 50$ leads me to believe that either the game is unfinished, it's content split up into dlc; or if it's above the 50$, it's overpriced. Again, an opinion, but it shapes how I look at a game's sales model. I'm also of the firm belief that games should be transparent, clear, and concise about what they are selling.

My suggestion is that the game's "Gold" and "Deluxe" versions be removed in favor of a clearer set of Editions. I believe that two things are happening when companies divide editions. 1. Players don't understand that these 'upgrades' are really not worth anything besides extremely minor cosmetic; and that companies have taken the opportunity to make a money grab and have succeeded; and chances are you're going to change your appearance soon after you find a better look. 2. Players that don't really care and have excessive disposable income just want the 'best' and are willing to shill out whatever it takes; even though these don't provide much at all. And, yes, I know, changing a companies model far after the release of the game is impossible especially with box editions out in the world. But, perhaps, just perhaps, this ramble provides a customer's perspective of how they perceive these models; and maybe this suggestion can be appreciated for just that fact.

My Suggested Model
Starter Edition - 14.99 - The Starter Edition does not include the offline campaign. Only vanguards unlocked (Warden, Raider, and Kensei) for online multiplayer. Standard heroes can be purchased for 15,000 steel. Season Pass heroes cannot be purchased.

-"This Starter Edition of For Honor gets you right into multiplayer with a limited selection of heroes (The Warden, Raider, and Kensei). Additional Standard heroes may be purchased with in game currency (15,000 steel) or can be unlocked instantly by upgrading to the Standard Edition (+35.00$). If you purchased heroes for steel before upgrading to the Standard Edition, the steel will be refunded upon upgrading. The Starter Edition does not include the campaign."

Like Siege, a starter edition helps get players in the game who may be on the fence about trying the game out. And if the players enjoy the game, having a clear way of upgrading to the standard game without an additional cost can help players make that leap.

Standard Edition - 49.99 - All standard heroes unlocked. Season Pass heros costing the normal 15,000.

-"The Standard Edition of For Honor includes everything that was included at the game's release including the campaign and all 12 base heroes online."

The standard. As we know these companies are dividing games into editions simply because it works and players feel like they're making a choice. The game should emphasize players buying the standard game instead of the sly way of placing emphasis on higher editions just because they're worth more. To me, trying to sell me the 'ultimate, gold, veteran edition' feels like a money grab instead of telling me "Hey, the standard For Honor, is a great game".

Season Pass - 19.99 - (Must purchase base game). Unlocks all past Season Pass heros and future as they are released with a 2 week head start.

-"The Season Pass of For Honor does not include the base game. The Season Pass helps support ongoing development of the game. Heroes added to the game will be available 2 weeks ahead of those owning the Standard Edition and for no cost."

Players are now familiar with the idea of 'season passes' and it's a great workaround saying DLC. Especially since the term 'DLC' is looked about kind of negatively now. Being clear and saying this explicitly helps support the game after it's release; I believe, will encourage players to contribute.

Currency
I feel steel could be utilized better (for the longevity of the game). Steel, the in-game microtransaction currency, is important to look at also. Altering how players purchase the game doesn't make a difference for those that have already purchased the game, so it is an important topic to look at.
-Get rid of salvage and use steel to upgrade gear. Salvage is useless. Players who have played even modestly have thousands and thousands of salvage.
-Have items break down into steel when salvaged, albeit a small amount.
-Don't include Champion status in game bundles. This is a great money(steel) pit.
-Get rid of color pallets. Allow players to chose their own 3 colors. Players could have one design loadout and could purchase more for steel. Each color could be purchased separately for steel and some require reaching a certain reputation.

There are limitless ways to use currency to enhance customization. When players spend time customizing their 'hero' they begin to feel attached and that attachment is what keeps them playing.

SpaceWalker3769
12-17-2017, 09:00 PM
15,000 steel takes a VERY long time to attain, I would suggest maybe 5,000 steel, with the current model where you can play a hero without purchasing it, but can only equip gear once unlocked.

Tundra 793
12-17-2017, 09:57 PM
Starter Edition - 14.99 - The Starter Edition does not include the offline campaign. Only vanguards unlocked (Warden, Raider, and Kensei) for online multiplayer. Standard heroes can be purchased for 15,000 steel. Season Pass heroes cannot be purchased.

Wouldn't this edition just invite more microtransactions, since the price of the heroes just tripled? And while you say you cannot purchase the Season Pass heroes, could you still purchase the Season Pass?
If yes, why would anyone bother buying the full game at $50, when you could spend $35 for basically the full game, campaign excluded, but unlocking 6 new heroes right away?

And if the idea of the Starter Edition is to let potential players try out the game, what about all those free play weekends the developers have done, where people can try the whole game, for free?
They're doing that right now even.

Standard Edition - 49.99 - All standard heroes unlocked. Season Pass heros costing the normal 15,000.

-"The Standard Edition of For Honor includes everything that was included at the game's release including the campaign and all 12 base heroes online."

The standard. As we know these companies are dividing games into editions simply because it works and players feel like they're making a choice. The game should emphasize players buying the standard game instead of the sly way of placing emphasis on higher editions just because they're worth more. To me, trying to sell me the 'ultimate, gold, veteran edition' feels like a money grab instead of telling me "Hey, the standard For Honor, is a great game".

Not much to say about this part, a standard edition is a standard edition.

But what about the actual content exclusive to the current Gold and Deluxe editions? The editions cost more, because they do actually offer more content. There's ornaments for the 3 faction Vanguards, emblem outlines (one of which I actually do use), Champion Status which is a nice bonus for new players.
The Gold Edition is basically just a Season Pass bundle, which is pretty good value. Other members here have estimated the Season Pass' content alone to be worth somewhere in excess of 200,000 Steel.

Season Pass - 19.99 - (Must purchase base game). Unlocks all past Season Pass heros and future as they are released with a 2 week head start.

-"The Season Pass of For Honor does not include the base game. The Season Pass helps support ongoing development of the game. Heroes added to the game will be available 2 weeks ahead of those owning the Standard Edition and for no cost."

I think this idea is unrealistic. You're basically offering twice the Season Pass content, for the same price.
If the pass is meant to support ongoing development, why promise the players products not yet developed? The current Season Pass explicitly states, as its chief selling point, access to 6 new heroes. If For Honor gets a year 2, and another 4 Seasons, I'd imagine a new Season Pass would follow, in the same vein as Siege. I think the player base will rise and fall during the games lifetime, but for most of it, it'll probably maintain a consistent healthy population. If that population only has to pay 1 once for a Season Pass that essentially gives them, per your suggestion, 2 years worth of content, at a price point designed for 1 years worth of content, we wouldn't be supporting ongoing development.

Currency
I feel steel could be utilized better (for the longevity of the game). Steel, the in-game microtransaction currency, is important to look at also. Altering how players purchase the game doesn't make a difference for those that have already purchased the game, so it is an important topic to look at.
-Get rid of salvage and use steel to upgrade gear. Salvage is useless. Players who have played even modestly have thousands and thousands of salvage.
-Have items break down into steel when salvaged, albeit a small amount.

This has been a bothersome gameplay aspect for all players since launch, you'll find no shortage of suggestions about it. But most people actually suggest using salvage in more ways, like paying for cosmetic changes. I'm closing in on half a million salvage myself, and I would love to actually be able to use it for something, rather than just have it disappear.

-Don't include Champion status in game bundles. This is a great money(steel) pit.

Considering your preamble, a couple of your suggestions sound like they'd encourage far more microtransactions, than they'd help make For Honor a more complete game.

-Get rid of color pallets. Allow players to chose their own 3 colors. Players could have one design loadout and could purchase more for steel. Each color could be purchased separately for steel and some require reaching a certain reputation.

I believe the color system is the way it is for a reason. There's for example a few bright Green color scheme options, both exclusive to the Defender palette. In heated or chaotic games, players use these visuals to help detect and distinguish enemies.
Giving players free reign over their colors could be especially troublesome during new hero launches, when everyone is playing the same hero, and you now have to memorize all the colors of the rainbow.

I understand where you're coming from, and what you're trying to achieve with your suggestions, but I don't think they've quite hit the mark. At least not for me.
Your "clearer" editions only muddy the waters from my perspective. As it is now, no matter which For Honor edition you buy, you always get at least the whole base game.

Tom_Tom08
12-17-2017, 10:36 PM
I disagree 15,000 is fairly quick to make, especially with daily orders giving quite a significant amount a hero can be unlocked in just a couple hours of play over a couple days. The reward for participating in the test servers is almost 15,000 steel and 20 salvage crates if you do it all and this isn't even including daily orders on the normal game.

ChampionRuby50g
12-17-2017, 10:49 PM
I disagree 15,000 is fairly quick to make, especially with daily orders giving quite a significant amount a hero can be unlocked in just a couple hours of play over a couple days. The reward for participating in the test servers is almost 15,000 steel and 20 salvage crates if you do it all and this isn't even including daily orders on the normal game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but daily orders give you 300 and 400 steel respectively, or a bit more. Using this as a base, it would take 22 days to reach 15,000 steel with just daily orders. We could probably cut this down to 15 days if we consider contract hours and the amount of games people play, but a lot of people only have a few hours a day to play. Also down to 15 days as a bit of leeway on me not knowing for sure if that's how much daily orders give for steel. Either way, that's 10-20 days of gameplay. Not fairly quick at all.
The reward may be that for the test servers, but how often have we seen rewards like this? Not in my recent memory. You can't use a special events rewards as basis for your argument here.

Tom_Tom08
12-17-2017, 10:55 PM
15,000 steel takes a VERY long time to attain, I would suggest maybe 5,000 steel, with the current model where you can play a hero without purchasing it, but can only equip gear once unlocked.

Steel is very quick to acquire in my opinion.

Wouldn't this edition just invite more microtransactions, since the price of the heroes just tripled? And while you say you cannot purchase the Season Pass heroes, could you still purchase the Season Pass?
If yes, why would anyone bother buying the full game at $50, when you could spend $35 for basically the full game, campaign excluded, but unlocking 6 new heroes right away?

I think you misunderstood. You can upgrade from the Starter Edition to the Standard for an additional 35$. The starter costs 15$ making it cost the same as purchasing the standard edition out of the gate. The starter edition only includes 3 heros and locks out season pass heros, so their is an incentive to purchase the upgrade.

And if the idea of the Starter Edition is to let potential players try out the game, what about all those free play weekends the developers have done, where people can try the whole game, for free?
They're doing that right now even.

I'm not quite sure, why this can't continue to happen.

Not much to say about this part, a standard edition is a standard edition.

But what about the actual content exclusive to the current Gold and Deluxe editions? The editions cost more, because they do actually offer more content. There's ornaments for the 3 faction Vanguards, emblem outlines (one of which I actually do use), Champion Status which is a nice bonus for new players.
The Gold Edition is basically just a Season Pass bundle, which is pretty good value. Other members here have estimated the Season Pass' content alone to be worth somewhere in excess of 200,000 Steel.

This is where we disagree. I find that ornaments and emblems are not content worth 10+$. The game itself is worth 59.99 and that suggests that those things are equivalent to 1/6th of the game, in my opinion.

I think this idea is unrealistic. You're basically offering twice the Season Pass content, for the same price.
If the pass is meant to support ongoing development, why promise the players products not yet developed? The current Season Pass explicitly states, as its chief selling point, access to 6 new heroes. If For Honor gets a year 2, and another 4 Seasons, I'd imagine a new Season Pass would follow, in the same vein as Siege. I think the player base will rise and fall during the games lifetime, but for most of it, it'll probably maintain a consistent healthy population. If that population only has to pay 1 once for a Season Pass that essentially gives them, per your suggestion, 2 years worth of content, at a price point designed for 1 years worth of content, we wouldn't be supporting ongoing development.

I failed to mention that the season pass would function similar to Siege's. The season 1 pass would be fore the first (current) 6 added heroes. I just wanted to be explicit and say that it helps support ongoing development.

This has been a bothersome gameplay aspect for all players since launch, you'll find no shortage of suggestions about it. But most people actually suggest using salvage in more ways, like paying for cosmetic changes. I'm closing in on half a million salvage myself, and I would love to actually be able to use it for something, rather than just have it disappear.

Considering your preamble, a couple of your suggestions sound like they'd encourage far more microtransactions, than they'd help make For Honor a more complete game.

I believe the color system is the way it is for a reason. There's for example a few bright Green color scheme options, both exclusive to the Defender palette. In heated or chaotic games, players use these visuals to help detect and distinguish enemies.
Giving players free reign over their colors could be especially troublesome during new hero launches, when everyone is playing the same hero, and you now have to memorize all the colors of the rainbow.

I understand where you're coming from, and what you're trying to achieve with your suggestions, but I don't think they've quite hit the mark. At least not for me.
Your "clearer" editions only muddy the waters from my perspective. As it is now, no matter which For Honor edition you buy, you always get at least the whole base game.

Yea, salvage is worthless I agree. I wouldn't care, personally, if they just removed it. I find no attachment to it. And, I'm not opposed to microtransactions, as it is the current way games are developed, and if done correctly work well.

Tom_Tom08
12-17-2017, 11:01 PM

I'm sorry! I misunderstood you. No, you cannot purchase the starter edition (15$) + the season pass (20$) = (35$). You must have the standard edition before buying the season pass.

ChampionRuby50g
12-18-2017, 03:27 AM
Steel is not very quick to obtain, for the majority. If you are playing all day everyday, perhaps. Otherwise no.
Read my previous comment too.