PDA

View Full Version : Bomb Sight Setting and Gun Convergence

Krotos
05-13-2004, 08:19 AM
Hi all.

This question arises from a previous post of mine on a different but related topic.

First off, I need advice on chooosing the best convergence settings for my MGs and Cannons. I predominantly fly Bf-109 series aircraft. Specifically, what are the best convergence settings for the 109 when engaging in (a) air to air combat vs. other fighters, (b) vs bombers, (c) vs ground targets?

My second question -- and really the most important of the two follows. Please bear with me, it is a multipart question - but on the same topic - BOMBSIGHTS.

Let me begin by stating that I most commonly fly the Ju-87, so I would appreciate it if your answers focused on the Stuvi sight -- but info on bombsights in general would also be appreciated.

1) How do you tell if you are in auto sight mode or not? I know it is the default, but I often switch back and forth and lose track. How do I tell which mode I am currently in?

2) Once the bombsights have been adjusted, how do you return them to their neutral default setting?

3) Is there a way to have bombsight settings displayed on the screen as they are being made? For example, when you adjust throttle or engage autopilot, a message appears informing you of that fact. HOwever, at least in my case, I get no indication of which way the sights are being moved or by how much.

Please help, and thanks in advance.

Krotos
05-13-2004, 08:19 AM
Hi all.

This question arises from a previous post of mine on a different but related topic.

First off, I need advice on chooosing the best convergence settings for my MGs and Cannons. I predominantly fly Bf-109 series aircraft. Specifically, what are the best convergence settings for the 109 when engaging in (a) air to air combat vs. other fighters, (b) vs bombers, (c) vs ground targets?

My second question -- and really the most important of the two follows. Please bear with me, it is a multipart question - but on the same topic - BOMBSIGHTS.

Let me begin by stating that I most commonly fly the Ju-87, so I would appreciate it if your answers focused on the Stuvi sight -- but info on bombsights in general would also be appreciated.

1) How do you tell if you are in auto sight mode or not? I know it is the default, but I often switch back and forth and lose track. How do I tell which mode I am currently in?

2) Once the bombsights have been adjusted, how do you return them to their neutral default setting?

3) Is there a way to have bombsight settings displayed on the screen as they are being made? For example, when you adjust throttle or engage autopilot, a message appears informing you of that fact. HOwever, at least in my case, I get no indication of which way the sights are being moved or by how much.

Please help, and thanks in advance.

ZG77_Lignite
05-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Convergance is a personal thing and should be set at the distance you are most comfortable shooting at (use Icons to determine this distance, in kilometers, .1=100m). Normal dogfight engagement ranges are around 100-300 meters, though shorter is often better, and longer is not uncommon (especially online).

Regarding Stuvi bombsights, I have very little practice with the Stuvi myself. However, I believe it operates slightly different than the He-111 (the Stuvi does not have an 'auto' mode), you need to turn it 'on' by pressing the 'Dive Break' button (this actually sets off the series of events that prepares the Stuka for its dive).

First adjust the altitude, this will be the altitude that the 'horn' blows at, signaling you to drop bombs. Also adjustable is your speed, apologies as I don't know if this is initial speed or final dive speed (I assume it is final dive speed, I assume this requires practice to get this set up correctly). Then hit your 'Dive Breaks', roll over and dive (or nose over) and put the cross hair on the target. The Stuka (any model I believe) no longer automatically drops the bomb(s) as the He111 does, when you hear the horn, thats your drop/pull-out altitude, so pickle the bombs and turn off your 'dive break' (after you have finished the automatic pullout).

I don't believe there is anyway to return the bombsight to a 'neutral' position, though it is not necessary; there are indicators in the cockpit, as well as the 'blue-onscreen-messages'. If you are not seeing these blue messages, but Are seeing the blue throttle/prop pitch/etc messages, you are doing something wrong. At a guess I'd say you haven't mapped keys to the 6 (or seven) bombsight adjustment keys, do this in the 'controls setup' of the game (increase/decrease bombsight altitude,velocity,angle, and bombsight automation to the best of my memory)