PDA

View Full Version : Things to Do in Multiplayer

itsCaracal
12-13-2017, 04:11 PM
Surprised no one has made a multiplayer thread yet that wasn't addressing concerns about how "BGE should be a singleplayer game".

But what drove me to make this is the potential for stupidity - in a good way. Stupidity is a huge selling point, I think. Being able to get absolutely nothing done because you're just goofing off with friends. It adds a lot of replayability once you've completed the story. To me, that's a lot of the appeal for games like GTA. Rayman Origins/Legends had a lot of this too, since a lot of people can get pretty competitive with just punching their friend down a hole or refusing to pop them once they're bubblized. ;)

But specifically, what I had in mind was the photography mechanic while playing multiplayer and how that can potentially affect the game. Whether you go for a serious artistic approach with photographing things or not. For example, you take a picture of your friend standing in front of a ton enemies in a stupid, nonserious pose (from an emote preferably. Emotes are absolutely essential for online play imo). And of course, like any other photograph, the NPCs will react to it differently. Some might think its incredibly distasteful, others will think it's hilarious. And their reactions can reward you with money or something. Or maybe if the NPC likes your picture THAT much, they might send you on a quest to photograph something else or even join your crew.

Everyone who has played the first game is wary about multiplayer and I agree, but I think it can be fun if done right. It would help replayability too, since there are even more ways to play the game, whether you do your first game offline, and then the next one with a friend, and the next one after that with a larger group of people...

How would you like multiplayer to turn out?

AlexandaBleak
12-13-2017, 07:53 PM
The possibilities of the multiplayer part of the game do honestly have me p exited. as for what to do in multiplayer, aside from like story missions and side missions i hadn't really given it much thought.
i suppose there are a lot of challenge games that could be done like with racing with the vehicles and i suppose you could also do like a parkour race, try to get to the top first sort of thing and mini games and what not. your idea of photography challenges has a fair amount of potential though, there's the obvious getting the most beutifull photo or getting a photograph of this one specific item or person, but there's also so much potential for artistic and funny shots, you could even do like a selfie game, get a selfie in the most ridiculous place possible or something like that.

Quardion
12-14-2017, 08:19 PM
BGE2 looks like a good place to get lost and is there anything better to do than get lost with a friend or two?
I agree, multiplayer will drastically increase the game's lifespan.

Kingy77
12-30-2017, 03:02 PM
Online multiplayer is not something I enjoy in all games. Knowing this will be a part of BGE2 worries me quite a bit, but since we do not really have a choice, I'll deal with it by staying positive and imagine what good use the developers could make of it.

Multiplayer in minigames is the first thing that comes to my mind. I'd love to participate to online air hockey or hovercraft races tournaments with a bunch of players from everywhere in the world. But we already know that Michel Ancel and his team have other ideas in mind about online multiplayer, and they openly mentioned cooperation would be part of the game.

Online cooperation in a game in which the story is so prominent is risky. If badly dosed, it could unbalance the gameplay and spoil the pleasure of the players who don't want to play coop. However, cooperation could be something rather punctual in the story and happen at some key moments in the main or secondary storylines. Some quests could allow to team-up with another player in order to make it more fun. For example, you could want to start a quest with a NPC who tells you "Man, it is not a place you want to go alone. I have on or two pirates of your sort that could join you on this one if you'd like." Then, if you accept, all the other players who are talking to this NPC it the same moments can join you. Of course the difficulty level of the quest should be raised accordingly.

I don't like the idea of seeing other players running around me during the whole game though. It would definitely spoil the ambiance and realism of the cities. I don't want that! Punctual online is far enough!

Legion-495
12-30-2017, 03:06 PM
Personally I think the idea is great, but I'm certain that MatchMaking will screw this up.
Maybe a request help from a "pirate network" could be a thing tho. Need help and get help from someone willing to help.

Ganet2
12-30-2017, 10:06 PM
Few thoughts on that front. And honestly excited to see what's implemented.

Could go with something like a cross between world play, have safe zones where players can chat without attacking each other. Or maybe something like... parlay?

Maybe different positions within the game. If you invite a friend they might join you as a fellow pirate captain, as part of your crew or so on. Then keep enemy players as a neutral element till engaged in combat?

Legion-495
12-31-2017, 10:50 AM
Few thoughts on that front. And honestly excited to see what's implemented.

Could go with something like a cross between world play, have safe zones where players can chat without attacking each other. Or maybe something like... parlay?

Maybe different positions within the game. If you invite a friend they might join you as a fellow pirate captain, as part of your crew or so on. Then keep enemy players as a neutral element till engaged in combat?

If it is crossworld with a PvP gameplay I so totally will set it offline. I hate PvP^^

Ganet2
12-31-2017, 11:02 AM
That's fair. I mean PvP isn't for everyone of course and some players can rather abuse it... perhaps if two pirates... both declare a rivalry? Rather than just one attacking? So it could be avoided?