PDA

View Full Version : Books that I recommend for good reading before PF is release

MiamiEagle
09-19-2004, 12:06 AM
Their are several Books that I recommend as good reading before you start playing Pacific Fighter. This my list.
Flying Tigers: By Daniel Ford
Aces of the Rising Sun 1937-1945:by Henry Sakaida
Japan Naval Aces and Fighter Units in World War two: by Ikuhiko Hata and Yasuho Izawa
Translated by Don Cyril Gorham
Osprey Japanese Army Air Forces 1937-45 Number13: By Henry Sakaida
Osprey B-29 Hunter of the JAAF number 5: By Koji Takaki and Henry Sakaida
Osprey Imperial Japanese Nava Aces number 22: By Henry Sakaida
Combat Legend Mitsubishing ZERO: By Robert Jackson
Osprey Hellcat Aces of World War 2 number 10: By Barrett Tillman
Osprey Corsair Aces of World War 2 NUMBER 8: By Mark Styling
Osprey combat Aircraft:MITSUBISHING TYPE 1 RIKKO !BETTY!
units of World War 2: By Osamu Tagaya
Fighting Aircraft of World War 11: By Bill Gunston
Aircraft Versus Aicraft: The Illustrated Story of Fighting Pilot Combat since 1914: By Norman Franks
My Favorite Book on World two when it comes Hypothetical Matches between those Lengend Brids is this Book: Duals in the Sky/ World War 11 Naval Aircraft in Combat: By Captain Eric M.Brown,RN
BLANKETS OF FIRE/U.S. Bombers over Japan during World War 2: BY Kenneth P. Werrell
This a great Book of the Bombing Campaing over Japan by the B29.
This are only some of the books available on World War 11 Aviation History.
Some you may still find on your local Bookstores. Unfortunualy most you will have to be order thru the internet.But if your are really intersted in this period in Aviation History. This Books will greatly increase your knowledge on World War 11 Aviation. Miamieagle

[This message was edited by MiamiEagle on Sat September 18 2004 at 11:56 PM.]

MiamiEagle
09-19-2004, 12:06 AM
Their are several Books that I recommend as good reading before you start playing Pacific Fighter. This my list.
Flying Tigers: By Daniel Ford
Aces of the Rising Sun 1937-1945:by Henry Sakaida
Japan Naval Aces and Fighter Units in World War two: by Ikuhiko Hata and Yasuho Izawa
Translated by Don Cyril Gorham
Osprey Japanese Army Air Forces 1937-45 Number13: By Henry Sakaida
Osprey B-29 Hunter of the JAAF number 5: By Koji Takaki and Henry Sakaida
Osprey Imperial Japanese Nava Aces number 22: By Henry Sakaida
Combat Legend Mitsubishing ZERO: By Robert Jackson
Osprey Hellcat Aces of World War 2 number 10: By Barrett Tillman
Osprey Corsair Aces of World War 2 NUMBER 8: By Mark Styling
Osprey combat Aircraft:MITSUBISHING TYPE 1 RIKKO !BETTY!
units of World War 2: By Osamu Tagaya
Fighting Aircraft of World War 11: By Bill Gunston
Aircraft Versus Aicraft: The Illustrated Story of Fighting Pilot Combat since 1914: By Norman Franks
My Favorite Book on World two when it comes Hypothetical Matches between those Lengend Brids is this Book: Duals in the Sky/ World War 11 Naval Aircraft in Combat: By Captain Eric M.Brown,RN
BLANKETS OF FIRE/U.S. Bombers over Japan during World War 2: BY Kenneth P. Werrell
This a great Book of the Bombing Campaing over Japan by the B29.
This are only some of the books available on World War 11 Aviation History.
Some you may still find on your local Bookstores. Unfortunualy most you will have to be order thru the internet.But if your are really intersted in this period in Aviation History. This Books will greatly increase your knowledge on World War 11 Aviation. Miamieagle

[This message was edited by MiamiEagle on Sat September 18 2004 at 11:56 PM.]

Feathered_IV
09-19-2004, 07:44 AM
How about The Seige of Rabaul by Sakaida?
I'm considering picking that one up this week but I'm not sure if I should hold on and get Gendas Blade instead. Any insights are most welcome.

"If you tell me that it is necessary that we fight, then in the first six months to a year I will run wild, and I will show you an uninterrupted succession of victories. Should the war be prolonged for two or three years....I have no confidence in our ultimate victory" - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto.

MK2aw
09-19-2004, 09:57 AM
I have read both The Siege of Rabaul and Genda's blade, my advice would be to pick them up both if you have interest in Japanese fighter pilots. Books on Japanese Aces are very rare as it is.

Tater-SW-
09-19-2004, 01:24 PM
The First Team
The First Team Guadalcanal are both must-read books.

If you are at you bookstore, or ideally used bookstore, anything by the Naval Institute Press is a safe bet.

Sunburst is pretty good.

The Japanese Merchant Marine in World War 2 is surprisingly good as well (out of print, have to get it used)

tater

UberDemon
09-20-2004, 02:12 PM
No need to buy either "Japanese Army Air Forces 1937-45" or "Imperial Japanese Naval Aces".

Just buy "Aces of the Rising Sun 1937-1945" which is Osprey's release of both of Sakaida's two books above combined into one, and it is cheaper than buying them separately.

Other good Pacific books in the same series are:
* P-40 Warhawk Aces of the Pacific (55, Carl Molesworth)
* Tomahawk and Kittyhawk Aces of the RAF and Commonwealth (38, Andrew Thomas)
and finally
* Hurricane Aces 1941-45 (57, Andrew Thomas)

The last book has a chapter entitled "Jungle Fighters" and describes the RAF and Commonwealth fight against the Japanese flying Hurricane Is, IIb's and IIc's, albeit the tropicalized version.

Some IIc's only had two 20mm cannons; apparently removing two cannons improved performance considerably. This could be modeled, I think, like the Fw-190's that allow certain guns to be removed.

Demon/UberDemon

The last book has a chapter called

Tdavart
09-20-2004, 02:56 PM
Lots of good stuff there guys. Another one is Edward Jablonski's two volume "Airwar". I'm sure they're out of print, but can be readily found at used bookstores.

wickedpenguin
09-20-2004, 03:46 PM
I Could Never Be So Lucky Again - Jimmy Doolittle's autobiography. Best Aviation Book EVER (at least in my eyes).

The Jolly Rogers - Story of the Fighting 17th, Corsair Squadron stationed around Rabaul and on USS Bunker Hill

"Fear is the mindkiller"
- Dune
----------------------------------
[b]Wicked Penguin Corporation[/b[
Web - Flash - Multimedia - DVD Authoring

BSS_Vidar
09-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Another great book to get is "Flyboys" by James Bradley. I bought the CD to listen to while I'm building models in my Hobbyroom. Its read by the author.

BSS_Vidar
Blacksheep 1

http://www.blacksheep214.com/images/SugarBritches.jpg

tagTaken2
09-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Ha... actually logged on today with the intention of asking about books on the Pacific war.

Is there anything good written from the Japanese perspective, autobiography sorta thing?

Mad_Hatter009
09-20-2004, 10:59 PM
"Fire in the Sky; The Air War in the South Pacific" by Eric M. Bergerud, published by Westview. Long, but a very good source for anyone interested in the South Pacific Campaigns (Solomons/New Guinea). Not much on carrier ops but then the South Pacific was mostly a land-based air war. Highly recomended. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

aminx
09-20-2004, 11:24 PM
thanks list of books,most appreciated.i have read the following lately.
Fire in the sky by bergerrud:i enjoyed it tremendously.
Midway the turning point, osprey:too simple, lots of marking mistakes.

i should receive tomorrow US NAVY CAMO AND MARKINGS by squadron signal since there is a lot of confusion out there in the skin and modelling world.
aminx

http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v76/aminx/113.jpg

aminx
09-20-2004, 11:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tagTaken2:
Ha... actually logged on today with the intention of asking about books on the Pacific war.

Is there anything good written from the Japanese perspective, autobiography sorta thing?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

go to HOBBYLINK JAPAN, books, english language books clearly stated unless you speak japanese
lots of stuff just ordered the books on the KATE
to try and get it flying by the developers
aminx

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/aminx/wild.gif

Giganoni
09-20-2004, 11:30 PM
Don't forget Ikuhiko Hata and Yasuho Izawa's JAAF book as well, a very good read.

http://img74.photobucket.com/albums/v225/giganoni/IL2/giganoni2.jpg