PDA

View Full Version : A tribute to Alpha sgt 14

Restylex.
11-29-2017, 11:40 AM
From Kemet 1976 Tube page :

I think most would agree that when it comes to customized editing in Far Cry's map editor we all aspire to better ourselves, to create something others can enjoy. Alpha sgt 14 is a representation of that creative process and in my opinion Alpha's maps transcend game-play, This is a museum of art that should and is recognized and embraced by its community.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU89R7p294HuYgSmWEKz8Pw

https://youtu.be/zjjjay_yaOY

Great clip !

Kemet nubia
11-29-2017, 12:41 PM
From Kemet 1976 Tube page :

I think most would agree that when it comes to customized editing in Far Cry's map editor we all aspire to better ourselves, to create something others can enjoy. Alpha sgt 14 is a representation of that creative process and in my opinion Alpha's maps transcend game-play, This is a museum of art that should and is recognized and embraced by its community.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU89R7p294HuYgSmWEKz8Pw

https://youtu.be/zjjjay_yaOY

Great clip !

Thanks for posting this video very humbled and much appreciated. Alpha sgt 14 is an incredible artist and his work deserves to be seen.

akilyoung
11-29-2017, 02:42 PM
1- Excellent video Kemet

2- AS14 is a true artist, I have always been blown away by his attention to the smallest details. He uses the ige a a 3d canvass, and the only way to truly utilize it to its full potential is by getting it on PC....

Kemet nubia
11-29-2017, 02:47 PM
Thanks just trying my best to represent the fc community

Alpha_sgt_14
11-30-2017, 02:41 AM
Kemet, this is beyond awesome man :). Wow, this blew me away quite frankly. Keep up the awesome work with your professional videos man!

Ubi-Salvenius
11-30-2017, 06:26 PM
Thanks just trying my best to represent the fc community

Believe me you don't have to try because you already are doing it. This is awesome and amazing from both points of video editing and the custom made objects and maps. :)

truesurv1val
12-01-2017, 12:49 AM
What a feast for the eyes, amazing video. Respect to alpha sgt. Still wonderering how some things were made. Great stuff.

DapperHayden007
12-01-2017, 01:11 AM
I've always loved Alpha's Maps and this is just a fraction of his capabilities.
Back in the FC2 days he always used to show me what he was working on, we'd share our opinions, I'd throw a suggestion into his map and he would exceed my expectations from the suggestion. Every time might I add.

I've always loved the amount of detail he could pull off in a map (even in the console editors) and I really look forward to seeing his creations in the future, and also potentially working on a project or 2 with him :)

Thank you Kemet for this awesome video, Alpha is a staple to the community when it comes to build quality, and the only thing I would complain about is he doesn't see his work the way others do all the time, sometimes he'd have a really nice custom asset, and if he cannot line up one small detail, the entire asset would either be reworked or deleted.

If that's not dedication and patience, then i've no idea what is.

Props Alpha, and keep building these amazing maps :)

Steve64b
12-01-2017, 10:54 AM
My first introduction to Community Maps consisted of default-textured 'fire pit' type levels with invincibility and infinite ammo modifiers. Hardly inspirational.

Then I recall being introduced to 'custom maps', in which people combine assets from the Far Cry editor, to create their own objects and structures. Tilt an object and look at it from a different angle to discover a less obvious side of it. This side can then be used to make something else entirely.

It's an artform to know which object, can be placed where, towards which effect. On top of that, you'd need to pay attention to the scale and style of the objects you intend to create, as you'd ideally want them to coexists in the same map

Alpha_sgt_14 has this process down to an art. His maps transcend Far Cry and enter a different realm altogether. The dark style of the map and the awesome custom objects even tell little stories in their own right.

Thanks Kemet for exposing this (and with decent FPS too!). The video was well done and pays proper tribute to an excellent Far Cry custom builder!

ImGonaG3tUsucka
12-01-2017, 06:14 PM
kemet did a fantastic job on the video. I wouldn`t have done Alpha`s maps as much justice as kemet`s video did.

I would like to thank Alpha_sgt_14 for putting the time in these maps for the communty to admire and play. Alpha is a master at custom made objects. As I said before not only does his maps contain amazing custom objects, but the way he uses them to look used and part of the enviroment is an art in itself. I hope to see many more maps from this great editor.

Alpha_sgt_14
12-01-2017, 08:12 PM
I just want to take the time and thank everyone and their overwhelming support. I never would have thought that my maps would at all have any kind of impact nor attention that they are getting now. This community has always been apart of my life, even those who come and gone over the years and it's something I personally cherish. Online communities can sometimes be toxic or even unpleasant- I'm looking at you league of legends- but over the years far cry has always been such a welcoming place for us editors. Back in far cry instincs, when I started, I can remember that the community resembled that of a small town. Everyone knew eachother I'm some regard but there was never really any conflict. Far cry has been and will continue to be an amazing playground of creativity and fun both within the community and the work they produce. Thank you guys a lot, to everyone in the community. Kemet, this video was such an awesome surprise, I feel like I don't deserve it haha. Now I probably should finish a few maps b4 fc5. It would be the least I owe to everyone.
To the devs, this community is something special. I'm not sure how long you guys have been around this franchise but some of us can faithfully say that this community is amazing. Not toxic, we can get into some arguments from time to time but it's more of an elderly couple kind of bickering haha. Thank you, the devs, for making such a awesome tool for us to use and make this whole thing possible.

Thank everyone- *You get a thank you, you get a thank you, everyone gets a thank you*

AW LOST SOLDIER
12-02-2017, 10:29 AM
I still dont understand why you didn't win best graphics in the map jam. imo your map was way above all the others when it comes to visuals. great work on that map Alpha, and great work on the video kemet.

DrShakez
12-03-2017, 09:40 PM
Absolutely amazing design and atmosphere. Creativity off the charts!

Back in far cry instincs, when I started, I can remember that the community resembled that of a small town
What was your gamertag back then? I'm surprised I don't remember you.

Alpha_sgt_14
12-04-2017, 03:46 AM
Absolutely amazing design and atmosphere. Creativity off the charts! What was your gamertag back then? I'm surprised I don't remember you.

Oh, I had the same name man :). I never changed my name since the original Xbox days. Hell, you could probably research some of my old maps I made from back in the day. I didn't really start becoming anything until fcpred. I really miss the community from those days man. It was awesome ;,)

DrShakez
12-05-2017, 06:41 AM
Oh, I had the same name man :). I never changed my name since the original Xbox days. Hell, you could probably research some of my old maps I made from back in the day. I didn't really start becoming anything until fcpred. I really miss the community from those days man. It was awesome ;,)

It really was an awesome community. I'm glad they at least decided to keep including the editor with later installments. I just wish they would promote that aspect of it a little better. It saddens me every time I see someone mention Far Cry as a "single player series".

Alpha_sgt_14
12-07-2017, 01:25 PM
It really was an awesome community. I'm glad they at least decided to keep including the editor with later installments. I just wish they would promote that aspect of it a little better. It saddens me every time I see someone mention Far Cry as a "single player series".
I know how you feel man :(
I've been searching for any news what so ever about the editor but I havnt really found anything. Maybe a mention here and there. That's okay tho, as long as the dev team are working on a really cool editor for the community I'm fine with with the wait ;)
I won't push them for info either, I'm sure we will see something here quite soon. All we need to do is plan for our next maps and creations.

Steve64b
12-08-2017, 03:09 PM
*perhaps* there'll be some new information out, following the news of Far Cry 5's rescheduled deadline (http://blog.ubi.com/update-far-cry-5-crew-2/).

While Far Cry 5 will now launch on March 27, the post also advertises tonight at 10pm PST there'll be "the newest look at Far Cry 5" at UbiBlog (http://blog.ubi.com/category/far-cry-5/).
Though I doubt there'll be Map Editor coverage, that would warrant a bigger announcement IMO. But hey, who knows, right?

akilyoung
12-08-2017, 03:35 PM
Yes, and dont forget the PSX this weekend I think?

Ubi DID say that there would be new info coming out of that, sooo...

TheSlimReeper
12-16-2017, 04:48 PM
Still waiting for you to finish that map you have been working on since the game came out ;P Doing great man, you deserve it.

longridr
12-24-2017, 02:14 PM
I remember back in my FC2 days Playing a map called Sands Of Time with a group of people at FC maps, I was pretty quick to search him up after that and i definitely knew i had to meet this guy. i remember walking through Terminator and RAID with him and just loved what i saw (they both were Ubi recommended at one point or another I believe.), really inspirational! and i still remember those maps even today. We ended up talking a lot more near the end of FC2 and i loved picking his brain! He sure has a way of making things memorable and definitely motivated me to up my game in FC3, and still to this day!

Bravo man!

Alpha_sgt_14
01-02-2018, 04:22 PM
I remember back in my FC2 days Playing a map called Sands Of Time with a group of people at FC maps, I was pretty quick to search him up after that and i definitely knew i had to meet this guy. i remember walking through Terminator and RAID with him and just loved what i saw (they both were Ubi recommended at one point or another I believe.), really inspirational! and i still remember those maps even today. We ended up talking a lot more near the end of FC2 and i loved picking his brain! He sure has a way of making things memorable and definitely motivated me to up my game in FC3, and still to this day!

Bravo man!

Thanks longridr :)
Funny enough I actually felt the same way when I saw your maps. Of course the spongebob ones come to mind but also your Pokemon inspired maps. There was an awesome surge of custom maps that were heavy on the creature designs and it was you and deathweapon who really inspired me. Hell, death made a really cool executioner for me for my dungeon crawler map, though I did repurpose him for my pyramid head creature.

I miss some of the old guys.. I was kind of immature back in the fc2 days and they probably are annoyed with me a bit haha. I always have to apologize for my behavior back then. Anyways, it's awesome that you stuck around man. :)