PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry 5 - COOP Map Editor (Idea)

FawSkills
11-26-2017, 10:13 PM
It might sound dumb to some people, but I just had this random thought of a coop-mode map editor feature for FC5.

To me, it sounds awesome, let me know your thoughts :D
More suggestions are welcome, post them below and I'll add them to the list.

How it would work:

1. Both players could see each other's cursors/crosshairs and tool-cursors

2. Once published, it would say "Created by (Player1) and (Player2)" replaced with their usernames obviously.

3. Only Player1 (The host) would be able to save the map (To avoid map duplication)

4. The undo/redo is split, so one can work on terrain where a lot of undoing is occurring, while the other one is working on objects. (Example) Perhaps there could even be a setting where Player1 can make the Undo/Redo a "Vote", so let's say Player2 requested an undo, Player1 had to press accept to proceed the undo.

5. Invite spectators to your map editor after Player2 has joined the map editor (Adds to the point below) The spectators can only use in-game mic and fly around, perhaps even use a cursor to point at things.

6. The map is locked for anyone else to edit, except Player1 and Player2, so dedicate the map together with that specific player. The map gets locked for those people once Player2 joins the map editor, and his/her name will be posted on the map-info once it's published. "Created by Player1 and Player2)"

7. Player1 would have the ability to ban Player2 from the session, but the name of Player2 will still show up on the Published "Created by,.."

8. Player2 is able to "Opt-out" of the map before its published, which makes it only say "Created by Player1"

Steve64b
11-26-2017, 11:33 PM
I think it'll be pretty hard to change the editor to support multiple editors simultaneously. They probably won't implement it unless the editor is part of the game's (multiplayer) code, which it isn't.

Still, it would be an awesome feature, and I bet it would bring map makers together, with more people working on a map. Map quality would improve too I think! :)

akilyoung
11-27-2017, 02:42 AM
Something we've talked about for years at battlemap. There's no way simultanious editing can work properly, but the idea of having a system to pass the map file back and forth, and allow for multiple authors would be fantastic.

Years ago i created MMA (Map Makers Association) as a way around this. MMA had it's own account, and any coop map files were uploaded to that account, credits were usually given to the authors on youtube videos of the map. Worked great, and people always knew they would get quality maps at that account.

DapperHayden007
11-27-2017, 04:29 AM
Unless you want another game like halo (no terrain editing, minimal options aside from object placement) then its not worth it, you would have to create character models for the editors so you could see each other, remove the undo button to prevent regular crashes, remove all excess features, create base maps to work on (as no terrain editing) and also other aspects could take a hit, so more features would need to be removed to prevent performance issues.

To compare, the negative effects would very much outweigh the positive effects.

I'd rather just keep passing the map file back and forth

FawSkills
12-01-2017, 03:09 PM
Something we've talked about for years at battlemap. There's no way simultanious editing can work properly, but the idea of having a system to pass the map file back and forth, and allow for multiple authors would be fantastic.

Years ago i created MMA (Map Makers Association) as a way around this. MMA had it's own account, and any coop map files were uploaded to that account, credits were usually given to the authors on youtube videos of the map. Worked great, and people always knew they would get quality maps at that account.

Thats cool to hear, but I believe theres a way around this. Games like LittlebigPlanet 2 (and above), has this feature of being able to edit terrain/models together with multiple friends. Perhaps not possible in the current ubisoft games, but if they really wanted, they could do it for sure

FawSkills
12-01-2017, 03:11 PM
Unless you want another game like halo (no terrain editing, minimal options aside from object placement) then its not worth it, you would have to create character models for the editors so you could see each other, remove the undo button to prevent regular crashes, remove all excess features, create base maps to work on (as no terrain editing) and also other aspects could take a hit, so more features would need to be removed to prevent performance issues.

To compare, the negative effects would very much outweigh the positive effects.

I'd rather just keep passing the map file back and forth

1) There could just be flying cameras, human characters wouldn't be needed.Or if its absolutely needed, just use the singleplayer and coop player model from the story mode / or random characters from the multiplayer.
2) The undo button would work just fine, example: LittleBigPlanet has that system that I wrote in my post and it works flawlessly.
I dont think there would be alot of downsides to this

DapperHayden007
12-01-2017, 11:33 PM
2) The undo button would work just fine, example: LittleBigPlanet has that system that I wrote in my post and it works flawlessly.
I dont think there would be alot of downsides to this

But isn't LittleBigPlanet built entirely around it's editing tools? Far Cry is not, the amount of work required would force developers to cut other features out just to fit the game in there, not to mention the game engine itself would need a huge rework.

I'd love to see it myself, but in this day and age, I'd consider it "impossible"

PURPUS420
04-16-2018, 09:09 AM
I just want to play with random players on co-op custom maps. I donít think that would be hard for them to do seeing as they did it on fc2 and 4. My friends are rarely on when I get a chance to play and I want to play my maps and other maps with people.

Itís not fun going through new maps and messaging people asking if they want to co-op custom maps. Some people might find that annoying. So the only solution would be to let us randomly connect with randon players. So simple