PDA

View Full Version : City Building.. More Road Angles, "Smart" Building Height Passenger Infrastructure

citizensfor
11-26-2017, 12:26 AM
It would be a lot of fun if Anno took a more "city building" approach to this game. In the 1800s many amazing cities were taking shape. They all had angled roads.

The seaports and shipyards are just begging for a more sophisticated City Sim aspect to this game.

Making large "royal" parks without angled roads is difficult.

Moving toward a more flexible, 3d layout to the road system would make the most sense.

http://payload212.cargocollective.com/1/13/438296/6544203/George_Schlegel_-_George_Degen_-_New_York_1873_o_905.jpg
Manhattan, 1873

Most of these cities were a rabbet-worn spider web of roads, many of these roads intersected at angles.

If Anno could finally break out of the box regarding city building, this would be great for replayability would make the game a lot more immersive and interesting, and would suck in a lot of city-builder people who have recently been a largely ignored segment of the gaming population.

In order to design interesting and European/Early American citys, angled roads are an absolute must.

It would be nice to have at least 45 degree angle roads, but preferably 30 and 60 degree angle roads as well. Without this, this game seems behind the times.

These angles should also apply to laying rail, as 90 degree angles on rails break the impressiveness and believability of the game.

It would also be nice to have automatica streets layed out in a draggable residential/ commercial/ industrial zoning area, instead of individually placing houses.

Regarding City Growth:

For me, to see slightly taller buildings in more economically desirable areas of the city (near the seaports, bridge connections, rail connections, and other tall/important buildings) as well as main boulevards and traffic avenues only would be great.

If taller buildings only develop in a focused region of the city (the downtown) and not elsewhere in the city, where lower level buildings would mostly be found. This would be a fun aspect, as players tried to tie in the financial and residential heart of the city with other points.

Taller buildings (commercial skyscrapers of the shorter nature) showed up toward the end of the 1800s, this could be a fun late-game thing for a player to work toward.

Also, bridges, and larger maps would help this game bring on more life, and while still being mainly sea-based, more rail and road connections would be fun on certain maps.

Interesting maps could be: St. Lawrence Seaway/Quebec, or Louisiana, with a large Mississippi River winding through and players battling for control of it, or A Southeast England style map, where the Thames is navigable.

Increasing the maps to "Regions" could really take this game to the next level, as could more "realistic" cities and more road and rail angle options.

stylisticsagi
11-26-2017, 11:15 AM
I agree with what you say.
Howeve er square building cities will probably always be the best and easiest way to build cities.
IF you ad round rounds 95% will still always build square ones and square layouts for both cities and productions

iruet
11-26-2017, 04:10 PM
I like the idea, though that just ain anno in my opinion. Anno for me is about the gridbased lay-outs, not the more natural looking lay-outs. Next to that the pic above has the same grid based lay-out as de Beemster (UNESCO world heritage) has (Leeghwater, 1610)...
As you can see in the picture are almost all roads straight except the ones next to the water, even the diagonal roads are straight!
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ef/A_Beemsterlants_Caerte_Dani%C3%ABl_van_Breen_1658. jpg/800px-A_Beemsterlants_Caerte_Dani%C3%ABl_van_Breen_1658. jpg
As you can see in the original image, is the entire grid based on squares. If you want to show us the more "natural roads", I think it's more appropriate to use other examples, since this one ain't accurate at all. As you might know New York was once called Nieuw Amsterdam, a former Dutch colony. The Beemster was the first polder they succesfully drained, and since it was easiest to make the straight lines, they used this to give the farmers their corresponding land. The same grid lay-outs have been used for all later polders, like the Schermer and Heerhugowaard. Dutch conquerors took this to the colonies which were conquered, and they devided the land the same as the Beemster, since that was the easiest way to make new cities fast.

You can find more about the Beemster here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beemster. Yeah I know this aint a very accurate source, but I think that is easier to understand then a linkin Dutch from a history site.