PDA

View Full Version : Some Qs i would like answered...

IZT
04-12-2004, 05:01 AM
I find that i can only take down two JU88s MAX before all my ammo runs out when im using a P51. I shot from the back...what are weaker areas to go for?? (im a good shot i hit the plane..all the pieces flying out n stuff)

Also i would like to know if it was the samne inr eal life that the planes shot bullets with blue tracers and red and green tracers adn the "heavier" type of bullets they shoit left a smoke trail..??

Next how come when i fly my plane, its like if i use the rudder to say move right, the plane keeps on moving back the other way roiund and alos when i pull up the plane bobs and etc...what is in work here and how do i counter it?

Lastly, is using force feedback on the joystick mroe realistic?? i find that it rally hampers my shooting and stuff sometimes.

IZT
04-12-2004, 05:01 AM
I find that i can only take down two JU88s MAX before all my ammo runs out when im using a P51. I shot from the back...what are weaker areas to go for?? (im a good shot i hit the plane..all the pieces flying out n stuff)

Also i would like to know if it was the samne inr eal life that the planes shot bullets with blue tracers and red and green tracers adn the "heavier" type of bullets they shoit left a smoke trail..??

Next how come when i fly my plane, its like if i use the rudder to say move right, the plane keeps on moving back the other way roiund and alos when i pull up the plane bobs and etc...what is in work here and how do i counter it?

Lastly, is using force feedback on the joystick mroe realistic?? i find that it rally hampers my shooting and stuff sometimes.

Tully__
04-12-2004, 05:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IZT:
I find that i can only take down two JU88s MAX before all my ammo runs out when im using a P51. I shot from the back...what are weaker areas to go for?? (im a good shot i hit the plane..all the pieces flying out n stuff)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Directly behind is the worst place to shoot from. Any armour or other measures to protect the plane and crew are most effective against attacks from directly behind. Shots from almost any other angle will tend to be more effective (assuming you can get hits when making deflection shots). For the German bombers, head ons can work well, as you're likely to kill the pilot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also i would like to know if it was the samne inr eal life that the planes shot bullets with blue tracers and red and green tracers adn the "heavier" type of bullets they shoit left a smoke trail..??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes. Though the effects modelled in the sim are not 100% accurate (and may be too bright or too dim in some cases), different ammuniton used different compounds for tracer and the result was different colours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Next how come when i fly my plane, its like if i use the rudder to say move right, the plane keeps on moving back the other way roiund and alos when i pull up the plane bobs and etc...what is in work here and how do i counter it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rudder doesn't change the direction in which the aircraft is flying very effectively. It's purpose is to keep the nose pointed in the right direction, not to change the direction the aircraft is moving. When you release rudder, the nose will return to pointing straight ahead.

To effectively change the direction that the aircraft is actually moving, you need to use the ailerons, elvator and rudder together.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Lastly, is using force feedback on the joystick mroe realistic?? i find that it rally hampers my shooting and stuff sometimes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Force feedback includes too components, aerodynamic forces and special effects (gun shake, weapon hits etc..)

The aerodynamic forces component is moderately realistic (more control resistance at high speeds, a bit of shake as you approach stall..).

Opinion on the special effects component is divided. Real pilots generally don't like that part of it at all, saying that those sorts of forces aren't felt much through the controls. Some players really enjoy it though. The setup here is a bit of a compromise, as you could feel the weapon shake and (some)impacts from enemny aircraft, but through the seat of your pants rather than the controls. As we don't have force feedback chairs available for a reasonable price yet, the joystick is most people's only option if they wish to feel those sorts of effects.

=================================================

http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/sig.jpg

IL2 Forums Moderator
Forum Terms of Use (http://www.ubi.com/US/Info/TermsOfUse.htm)

Salut
Tully

SeaFireLIV
04-12-2004, 05:34 AM
Funny about colour tracers, I`ve read accounts of guys staring at ack, mg fire, etc because the colours made it all look like a firework dislay, until their CO would say, "GET DOWN! It`s the bullets inbetween the colours you want to watchout for!"

Chuck_Older
04-12-2004, 06:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IZT:

.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you explain this "bobbing" more?

This may be a simple trim issue.

Get your car outta that gear ~ Clash

Eagle_361st
04-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Go for the engines on the Ju-88, or slashing attacks from high altitude aiming for the cockpit and engines. Don't make a habit of attacking bombers from the rear, you will find your virtual life very short doing so.

~S!
Eagle
Commanding Officer 361st vFG
www.361stvfg.com (http://www.361stvfg.com)
http://home.comcast.net/~smconlon/wsb/media/245357/site1079.jpg

LilHorse
04-12-2004, 12:05 PM
It's funny to say that you can "only" take down two Ju-88s http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Most fighter pilots in RL would have been happy to see some kind of obvious damage like a smoking engine or trail of fuel. Ju-88s and He-111s are tough planes. You aren't likely to blow them up or cut them to pieces very easily.

Anyway, as others have suggested, go for the engines and cockpit when you can. Break off and don't hang around too close after your attack, the gunners will shoot you up. Set up for another pass. Even so, if you get an engine smoking it might take a long time before one of those beasts goes down. They can fly on a good long way even after the crew has baled out.

Speco
04-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Also you should try to fire from the convergence(?!) distance. That's very important with the P-51.