PDA

View Full Version : Tribute. It's doomed.

Burn-The-Sinner
11-14-2017, 08:36 PM
The mode is fun, but it's a roller coaster of disappointments and broken expectations. Disappointments/expectations in the sense of: Oh, we're finally winning, 3 more seconds left, now we just defend for a while... oh wtf!

If even one of your teammates fails, you will feel that very strongly. While in dominion you can easily compensate for someone's lackluster, here it's just impossible. An organized team will demolish anything in their path... while in dominion you can put up a fight and win against some failing teams, here i don't see that happening. This will piss off many players and this mode will die out.

I don't know. It's a fun mode for sure. It can be very dynamic and interesting, superior to Dominion, but i can't see it working out in random-picked teams setting. Why would you do ranked dominion instead of ranked Tribute? Tribute offers faaaar more opportunity for tactical play and coordination.

Leon026
11-14-2017, 09:10 PM
It's also a death screen simulator if you get unlucky and spawn right into a group of enemies. Yawn.

Burn-The-Sinner
11-14-2017, 09:18 PM
I've yet to experience this delight.

But who will waste time killing you anyways... Especially if you turtle up and have an advantage.

UbiInsulin
11-14-2017, 09:34 PM
The mode is fun, but it's a roller coaster of disappointments and broken expectations. Disappointments/expectations in the sense of: Oh, we're finally winning, 3 more seconds left, now we just defend for a while... oh wtf!

If even one of your teammates fails, you will feel that very strongly. While in dominion you can easily compensate for someone's lackluster, here it's just impossible. An organized team will demolish anything in their path... while in dominion you can put up a fight and win against some failing teams, here i don't see that happening. This will piss off many players and this mode will die out.

I don't know. It's a fun mode for sure. It can be very dynamic and interesting, superior to Dominion, but i can't see it working out in random-picked teams setting. Why would you do ranked dominion instead of ranked Tribute? Tribute offers faaaar more opportunity for tactical play and coordination.

Hmm, thanks for posting this. I'm glad you're having some fun with Tribute. It sounds like it can get a bit discouraging without organized teamplay, which is definitely something I'll make note of.

What's the difference between an unorganized and an organized team, primarily? Commitment to securing the same altars? Not lone-wolfing?

Burn-The-Sinner
11-14-2017, 11:10 PM
Organized teams can distribute their effort efficiently and in a heart beat - primarily. This is the one thing that is key to winning in this game mode.

They can decide to defend their points and have a particular loner sneak to enemy base to steal a flag, while the enemy is busy trying to punch trough your defenses. They can hit the enemy base at the same time and disrupt in a coordinated manner. All that stuff and more organized teams can pull off. Someone managed to steal a flag? Have 1 one person after him, not all... ... ...

This mode explicitly demands such fine coordination. Dominion is much more static and limited in situations, which is why it works so well without some stellar coordination.

In random teams it's much more harder. Although we had several successful attempts at defending for prolonged time, this is due to enemy inexperience or that ---it just worked out well for us---. When i carried a flag and requested for help, it happened that 2 people ran to me, while i needed only one. That left something defenseless and they took it, etc... You just can't organize yourselves, even if each of you are good players on your own.

And nobody is using the voice comm in game. In fact, i've only heard it 3 times and it was just someone raging so that is out of the question.

Perhaps the more popular streamers will form a group and demonstrate all this.

Helnekromancer
11-14-2017, 11:11 PM
Yea tribute is basically the "4-man pre made" game mode. I don't have friends so my chances of having fun in this mode. Console players can' barely play Dominion, running around thinking it's skirmish how can they ever handle Tribute?

seaners95
11-15-2017, 02:16 AM
I'll start by saying this, I love this new game mode. It's fresh, it's new, it's intense and it's frustrating, which can be good (you don't want a gamemode to be easy, that just gets boring after a while)

I've always loved the capture the flag type game modes, which i also see this as even though ubisoft has claimed it's not.

We've been playing the same gamemodes for months, almost a year, and it's nice to finally get a whole new gamemode to play with a different objective type. I've played a few games so far, some i've won, some i've lost, some i've dominated and some i've been crushed in. it's just like the other gamemodes in that the result of the match is really up to how well the players perform on either team as individuals and as teammates. My only complaint i could possibly think of right now is that the match feels a little too short. maybe a time extension could be added? especially for maps that are a little larger than others, 45 seconds would be ideal if i could actually get to the objective within 30 seconds and not during the last 3. that's about it.

Other than that, great job ubi, I love it.

Ultra-Mortis
11-15-2017, 02:24 AM
I'll start by saying this, I love this new game mode. It's fresh, it's new, it's intense and it's frustrating, which can be good (you don't want a gamemode to be easy, that just gets boring after a while)

I've always loved the capture the flag type game modes, which i also see this as even though ubisoft has claimed it's not.

We've been playing the same gamemodes for months, almost a year, and it's nice to finally get a whole new gamemode to play with a different objective type. I've played a few games so far, some i've won, some i've lost, some i've dominated and some i've been crushed in. it's just like the other gamemodes in that the result of the match is really up to how well the players perform on either team as individuals and as teammates. My only complaint i could possibly think of right now is that the match feels a little too short. maybe a time extension could be added? especially for maps that are a little larger than others, 45 seconds would be ideal if i could actually get to the objective within 30 seconds and not during the last 3. that's about it.

Other than that, great job ubi, I love it.

Same, I love the new mode. I've had some amazing games already. The reasons the OP hates this mode are the very reason why I like it. No matter what's going on or how far in it is, there's always a chance to come back. You're in it till the very end.

Vakris_One
11-15-2017, 03:02 AM
The new mode is great but premades that communicate with each other have a distinct and unnassailable advantage over random teams. It's a great mode but it is suited for teams that coordinate and talk to each other using voice comms.

Random teams need not apply unfortunately. I love the way this mode plays but it's just not doable with a random team where nobody communicates. I'm afraid this mode just has too many requirements to remain appealing for anyone who matchmakes with random teams. Very few people use mics in random teams in this game and the ones that do are usually toxic.

In order for this mode to be more accessible you'd need to build in a looking for group feature into the game. Something like Destiny's feature to form a fireteam. But without an MMO type of hub/lobby area where players can gather, meet others and group up I just don't see it working. Without a way to create a team specifically for playing Tribute casual and solo players will eventually start avoiding it. Tribute will ultimately end up becoming a niche mode that is played only by dedicated premade teams because only they will have a chance of winning.

seaners95
11-15-2017, 04:42 AM
The new mode is great but premades that communicate with each other have a distinct and unnassailable advantage over random teams. It's a great mode but it is suited for teams that coordinate and talk to each other using voice comms.

Random teams need not apply unfortunately. I love the way this mode plays but it's just not doable with a random team where nobody communicates. I'm afraid this mode just has too many requirements to remain appealing for anyone who matchmakes with random teams. Very few people use mics in random teams in this game and the ones that do are usually toxic.

In order for this mode to be more accessible you'd need to build in a looking for group feature into the game. Something like Destiny's feature to form a fireteam. But without an MMO type of hub/lobby area where players can gather, meet others and group up I just don't see it working. Without a way to create a team specifically for playing Tribute casual and solo players will eventually start avoiding it. Tribute will ultimately end up becoming a niche mode that is played only by dedicated premade teams because only they will have a chance of winning.

I can definately see where you're coming from on that, totally understandable. it's hard playing team modes without a fully functioning team that doesn't communicate. I only disagree because i'm very used to playing this game by myself (my group doesn't touch this game anymore on account of connectivity issues), and yeah there's games where you get destroyed because there's no communication or strategy, but there are those beautiful games where there's just this unspoken agreement between teammates on what their roles are and what to do and you just end up crushing it. not as rare as some people think, but yes lack of communication is often results in defeat in game modes like this.

Burn-The-Sinner
11-15-2017, 11:21 AM
Same, I love the new mode. I've had some amazing games already. The reasons the OP hates this mode are the very reason why I like it. No matter what's going on or how far in it is, there's always a chance to come back. You're in it till the very end.

Hate? No, didn't say this. Frustrated - yes. Because of reasons already mentioned. Tribute is just a perfect fit for organized teams and tournaments. It's where it will truly shine. Hopefully we won't wait long until some of the more popular players organize a stampede and prove all this.

Kenny324410
11-15-2017, 12:14 PM
Itís a awesome mode it brakes the cheap gank squad nuthing worse when ur destroying someone that havenít even land a hit and thay team mates run in and now itís a 3vs1 gank and the person that was just destroying someone gets Owen basically you have to be able to hold ur own in a 1vs1 fight if you flank off to gank your leveing ur team very vulnerable to have thay tribute stolen as ur over the uther side off the map ganking to save ur weak team mate

Burn-The-Sinner
11-15-2017, 01:10 PM
It’s a awesome mode it brakes the cheap gank squad nuthing worse when ur destroying someone that haven’t even land a hit and thay team mates run in and now it’s a 3vs1 gank and the person that was just destroying someone gets Owen basically you have to be able to hold ur own in a 1vs1 fight if you flank off to gank your leveing ur team very vulnerable to have thay tribute stolen as ur over the uther side off the map ganking to save ur weak team mate

What cipher is that?

DAmisguidedMONK
11-15-2017, 01:42 PM
I have to say tribute is not dominion, and i am saying this because people dont realize its a big change for those who played dominion for so long. Its a big change because tribute needs individual skills and teamplay ones and lack of communication make those two worthless. I put dominion on medium difficulty and tribute on very hard.

On this note i have to say great job on tribute is exactly what the game needed to stay true to all the bad times and the promises made. This is a fresh start for this game and i hope everyone realized that by now. Good fight ubisoft Montreal!

SuicidalSamuria
11-15-2017, 02:19 PM
Having played this as a 4 man band, out of about 20-30 matches we lost 2, that's only because one of us was afk eating.

Fastest win was 2 minutes 5 seconds

This game mode requires teamplay and communication, without it your as good as dead.

This is not a bad thing. This is by far the best contender for 4v4 ranked.

Everything about this mode is perfect. Massive praise to the guys at Ubisoft.

CandleInTheDark
11-16-2017, 12:39 PM
I can see where people might get frustrated, I was in a game where about 7-8 of the first 9 minutes my team was behind and the other team had several defend the shrines 3-0 moments, nine minutes in we get one,nine and a half minutes in we steal a second from them to make it 1-1 and we wind up winning in overtime. Honestly I could imagine the cursing lol.

That is also kind of the beauty of it as well, there have been so many posts on these forums all stop dropping me into halfway done dominion matches, with tribute, so long as the other team aren't in win phase, it doesn't matter when you join, the first 6-8 minutes are about not letting your opponents win and gaining renown.

Davy_Darkwalker
11-16-2017, 02:53 PM
My recommendation? Play tribute in PVAI! The bots will give you a challenge. I played a few tribute matches yesterday and we were able to win all those matches.

Tundra 793
11-16-2017, 03:16 PM
One of the rare threads where everyone has a good point.

My suggestion to combat the massive advantage pre-mades have in Tribute would be to start improving the quick chat functions, especially on console.

It's stressful, I'm playing Highlander trying to go for a Tribute away from my Team's Shrines. Off to the side I notice a Shinobi gunning for one of our Shrines.

Hit LB > RB > and then I'm given 4 choices of telling my teammates where to go, so I have to double check which shrine that Shinobi might be going for before committing to one of the 4 options. Fast classes can absolutely outrun the time It takes me to figure out where to tell my team to Defend.
Why not just give me a general "DEFEND EVERYTHING" option so my team knows we're getting a Tribute stolen?

Or better, let me tell the Warlord or Highlander on my team to just always defend our shrines, because that's where they'll benefit the most anyway?

I've suggested it before, but I'll gladly do it again; Do something like Battlefield does with a Weapon Wheel/Radial menu with a variety of useful chat prompts. You can fit in more options, and make them easier to navigate quickly.
Sea of Thieves also does this, with the added bonus of making the chat options situational, i.e. depending on your location/actions your chat options change to something relevant to your situation.

StriderBorne
11-16-2017, 06:18 PM
I like Tribute. I play with a team talking voice. The complaints about not getting the flags is moot bc the game will end anyway and if you have more flags or whatever you win.
It would probably be a cluster playing pubs with no voice bc no one knows what anyone else is doing. I have always loved CTF and had a great time last night...one of our team who apparently has never played CTF was very irritated and hated it, complained multiple times that you couldn't view your kills/death score on the scoreboard. You have plenty of room for about 12 columns of data, why is that?