PDA

View Full Version : Cross platform maps the good and the bad

AW LOST SOLDIER
11-14-2017, 12:23 PM
The good - 3x the maps across all platforms ps4,xbox1,pc

The bad - pc guys will have to have the same budget limits as us console guys

The only work around for pc is to have a normal open budget like it is now, but have an option to make and publish maps on pc that fall within the console budget. so two options on pc, one for normal pc only maps and one for console cross play budget.

Steve64b
11-14-2017, 01:22 PM
Another Pro would be if the PC Editor would be a standalone release, unlocked in uPlay for players who bought the game on console. Console players could then use a PC to build maps, and publish them to play on their console. :)

I'm not sure how compatible maps would be in terms of cross-platform play. In my MapSwapper (http://maps.farcry.eu/swapper) project for FC4, there were at least some issues with the terrain textures. Perhaps maps built on one platform would look a bit different on others, or some objects may be unavailable on some platforms.

I love how the PC platform is able to exceed the object budget. There are some serious maps published with insane hours put into them, as seen here (http://maps.farcry.eu/?effort_map=1). On a side note, I should filter out duplicate versions of maps on that site. :P

akilyoung
11-14-2017, 03:47 PM
Now both of those are *FANTASTIC* ideas!

Steve64b
02-18-2018, 01:27 AM
It just hit me that the game will be released on PS4 and XB1. Basically Far Cry 5 will have the same system requirements as Far Cry 4: hardware dating back to 2013...

With Far Cry 4, there were quite some complaints on the restricted budget limit on consoles. Meanwhile, the PC side of things was fine, and there were some pretty cool maps published (http://maps.farcry.eu/?platform=pc&effort_map=1&hide_duplicates=1) that even exceed the PC budget limit.

Fast-forward 4 years. Many a PC player will have upgraded their computer to more modernday specs. Some console players will have upgraded to PS4 Pro and XBox One X. I'd say these machines are capable of handling much more than the original 2013 consoles will. But still, Far Cry 5 lists the original consoles as system requirements.

Sooo, coming back to cross-platform maps in the game: that would probably only work if all machines abide by the same budget limit. So, here's a question: would you be willing to sacrifice a higher-end budget limit, in favor of accommodating compatibility with the old consoles?

Viragoxv535
02-18-2018, 12:21 PM
There'll be no budget limit difference between generations of the same console (ie. PS4 - PS4Pro) they've simply given them last-gen a higher frame rate, resolution and HDR.

akilyoung
02-18-2018, 02:47 PM
Where did you get this idea?

AW LOST SOLDIER
02-18-2018, 03:19 PM
However the grid limit turns out on console, i will just work with what i have in front of me. even with the limits we face on console we can still pull off some amazing stuff, just have a look at my latest fc4 map editor work on xb1 below. landing zone scene. the image is a raw image captured in 1080p on xbox dvr from xbox live with no enhancements.
https://wyvzmw.by3301.livefilestore.com/y4m4Dxz4ZsSl24NSwDFnxjrmouEj4bMzUMW3h1AbnwwJ6DMQnn stS_MR43SkGb7yoVHB9yITPKs0py2073BqkZKOofwUpuHgdBOj JGvrIvVDSXBAbC3gKRb_ExLRvh9fVv6cc79UXyxDAAE8uobjAt _RgceV1MnzLx4BENpmj64ESLBic0AyPr-a_lJG-GVA8e5YM6BruVOmCZDgO98vCD67Q?width=1920&height=1080&cropmode=none

DeeKayEm2
02-18-2018, 05:21 PM
Think bigger. Cross platform maps do not have to be all or nothing. When making the map in the editor, all you need is a criteria evaluation that tags the map as it's published. A PC mapper will then know if he adds certain stuff, it will be tagged as a PC only map. And if a PC gamer downloads a map created on a PS4, it will have certain stuff not available. Having stuff does not mean its a great map, Great maps are great because they are creative, so maybe the gamers should not be told what platform it was created on. You cannot buy creativity with extra features. That's just using a gimmick to replace creativity, resulting in shallow gameplay. Do you want to play a lame boring map with dense photo realistic trees, or a creative map using simpler assets that is fun to play.

Although the maps would be cross platform if they meet the relevant criteria, they could still remain within the platforms closed eco system. Example: a PS4 gamer can download a map created by a PC gamer that meets the PS4 criteria but can only play against PS4 gamers. No PC or xbox gamers. Same for PC and xbox gamers. That is not a bad thing, unless you are on a platform with no-one to play with because the user base is too small. Cross platform is not a charity. If you are on the wrong platform that does not suit your needs. Move.

It can work if done right and offers the huge bonus of increasing the number of maps available.

Steve64b
02-18-2018, 11:03 PM
Where did you get this idea?
I got the budget idea when someone asked about the budget difference between FC4 PC and PS4. I was looking for some hard facts into this (how much additional limit does the PC have?), so far I've found no information detailing the exact budget limit value on either platform. I know the object_inventory items have budget values attributed to them, but that information is useless without insight on the max available budget value. (would anyone know this?)

I agree that there will be no budget limit difference between generations of the same console. There are no "PS4 Pro exclusive" titles, and maintaining different game versions per different console family would be too cumbersome. Seeing FC5 releases on the 'old' consoles, I really hope this will not yet again limit the players' experience in terms of map budget. Especially on PC.

No way the PC community would agree to less budget to have their maps dropped on consoles.IF there's cross-platform maps, the PC getting a more limited budget wouldn't be so far-fetched... I think there are more console players out there, than there are PC players. So why cater the smaller target audience?

Of course from a technical standpoint it should be trivial, just saying "your map is overbudget and therefore won't be cross-platform". But if all PC players' maps will be overbudget, they won't appear on the consoles. Therefore voiding the whole "cross-platform maps" feature. ;P

Even if there won't be cross-platform play (PC vs console gameplay would be unfair anyway), I really like the idea of cross-platform maps. Heck, I played some FC4 console maps on PC using MapSwapper - there are some pretty decent maps even with the limited budget. BUT, if this means the PC platform will also be limited in terms of budget (and maps must be compatible with 2013-based hardware), I'd rather pass on the feature.

Steve64b
02-23-2018, 12:06 AM
Actually, I think the PC platform has slightly better quality maps. Here are the FC4 checkered board maps percentages per platform.
https://i.snag.gy/ljRgrM.jpg

AW LOST SOLDIER
02-23-2018, 01:47 PM
Design layout for multiplayer maps negates the requirement for a higher limit. Look at Facing Worlds. de-dust can be made on any version of far cry and has been made on every version of far cry. Shipment requires hardly anything in terms of memory or budget. Some of the best MP maps in the world are actually very simple but very well designed with the player's thoughts being central to its design. And as AW pointed out you can still make what you want, you just need to solve the problems of a limited budget.

MP maps don't require a large budget, so the excessive budget on PC is academic. PC guys just have a free ride when it comes to budget where they don't have to find work-arounds or be very careful planning their maps due to limitations.

The most detailed and object heavy maps will come from PC. The best designs, I believe, will come from console.

I agree. the talent comes from the person, not the hardware.

Viragoxv535
02-23-2018, 01:52 PM
You certainly don't require a PC to make a "best gameplay" map but it surely helps if you want to embellish it.

AW LOST SOLDIER
02-23-2018, 02:25 PM
Design layout for multiplayer maps negates the requirement for a higher limit. Look at Facing Worlds. de-dust can be made on any version of far cry and has been made on every version of far cry. Shipment requires hardly anything in terms of memory or budget. Some of the best MP maps in the world are actually very simple but very well designed with the player's thoughts being central to its design. And as AW pointed out you can still make what you want, you just need to solve the problems of a limited budget.

MP maps don't require a large budget, so the excessive budget on PC is academic. PC guys just have a free ride when it comes to budget where they don't have to find work-arounds or be very careful planning their maps due to limitations.

The most detailed and object heavy maps will come from PC. The best designs, I believe, will come from console.

Ive noticed the pc master race thing is starting to creep into the fc map making community. the thing is though, the best talent is still on consoles.

akilyoung
02-23-2018, 03:32 PM
Sorry I should have clarified....AWLS Where did YOU get the idea that there would be cross platform map sharing...it seems like you are sure this will be a feature.

Is someone leaking info to you?

AW LOST SOLDIER
02-23-2018, 03:39 PM
This thread is just speculating about cross platform play. i doubt it will happen though.

Steve64b
02-23-2018, 05:04 PM
MP maps indeed don't require a large budget. But SP/Coop maps do benefit from the extra budget.

Consider some stats from Far Cry 4 published maps:
https://i.snag.gy/v9gxVz.jpg
On average, there are twice as many AI on PC maps than on console.

Map makers on PC are still warned that they're exceeding the budget limit. Despite it, they persist with publishing their maps. Apparently they'd rather have additional AI in there than worry about the budget. With double the amount of enemy AI on PC not causing too much isues, why not overstep the budget, if it allows for more hectic playing maps in coop mode?