PDA

View Full Version : Choices

ANN0nymity
11-14-2017, 08:54 AM
What I would like to see added in ANNO are some important decisions that affect gameplay. Immediatly or in the future.
You can let these decisions come from the newspapers, media... etc. or from other players or events. For example there is childwork in your factories. and some children died by an accident. How will you react? Will you stop child work or not? This can affect the happines of your population or an other player.
This idea would make more unique games and increase the replayebility.

AgmasGold
11-14-2017, 01:56 PM
I don't feel like passing laws/legislation and the more political side to a city building simulation has ever really been something Anno has done. I feel like it would just end up being similar to games which have the exact system you are talking about (Frostpunk and Urban Empire). It's not a system Anno needs (in my opinion) and I feel it would detract from the Anno experience. Having items with descriptions that could relate to child labour (its the 1800's after all) being used in factories could work, but a completely different event driven choice system would just not feel like Anno.

ANN0nymity
11-14-2017, 06:06 PM
Yeah you are probably right. but it seemed like a cool idea but it wouldn't be ANNO for too many people. References would be better indeed.
(i have never played or heard from those games)

AgmasGold
11-14-2017, 10:01 PM
Just a coincidence then, there's literally a very similar system in those games, and one that actually has a choice to allow/disallow child labour :) (althought it has a very distopian setting).

stylisticsagi
11-15-2017, 04:48 PM
I think your basic idea is a good concept to have costumization on diffrent levels to define more how you are ruling and putting some character of you reflecting into your cities and productions.
However it could indeed be placed on other way then a law system.

Olinater
11-16-2017, 12:01 AM
Though passing laws/legislation might not be a core feature of Anno, I think some parts of it would make gameplay more fun. It has already been hinted that such 'political' decision-making will be a part of Anno 1800, in which you have to decide if you want to talk to protesters (like striking factory workers), or crack them down. A crackdown can only be successful if you have build up enough police force. In Anno 2070 there was a related feature, in which your citizens send you and ultimatum. However, Anno 1800 adds another option, not only accept or refuse (do nothing), but remove the protesters.
I like this because it can add a more 'personal' flavour in the way you rule your city('s).

stylisticsagi
11-16-2017, 06:21 PM
A simular function was there with the beggers in 1404.
When they arrive you can send them away and your people give you quite a sum in gold as thanks.
However they could return as bandit military camps one day and you are going to have to drive them out or let them into your town (after you pay them a big sum of gold).
But the prob was you wanted beggers in your city because they gae more escention rights yo your other citizens.
So unless you are in a bad fincancial state there was no reasen to send the beggers away.
So more balanced decission making wich on top would also reflact your city visually would be awsome!

AgmasGold
11-16-2017, 06:46 PM
I definitely agree with what you said. Beggars were a no-brainer, there was almost no cost to actually keeping them, as the extra ascension rights gained would soon pay for themselves. This kind of decision with an automatic "choose x" option is something I hope is avoided in future titles. Whilst saying this, sometimes some particular tools/items are just the best fit for the job.

ANN0nymity
11-30-2017, 11:24 AM
About some other choises, in the surveys we can choose between some cool exhibitions or players but do we really have to choose? Can't they be all in the game? More choise in (monumental) buildings and players would be cool

stylisticsagi
11-30-2017, 03:32 PM
I think perhaps you would like to think more to choices as in 2070 for example.
You could choose how you produced power(i you had all factions that is).
Wind power being more expensive and clean or coal wich was cheap and dirty but you needed coal.
That was a choice in wich you could choose for both yet you will probably focus on one, you mean something like this ANNonymity?

In any case i do remember in i think it was 1503 (not sure) you had technologie trees and it ended with one tech you had to choose between one or the other.
And i remember that that particular choose was something i didn't like.
I think it would be cool to have choices but both should have good and bad effects.
It would be even better if you can somehow still change those choices (at a cost off course)

But all of this really depends on where the game will place choices.

ANN0nymity
11-30-2017, 08:55 PM
That is exactly what i meant stylisticsagi ;)
And what could be done in those tech trees is that you can after fully completing the tech trail or something at the end, you can unlock another trail that was closed for you. So to unlock everything you will have quiet an advanced metropolis. So you can still create new things when you have a very big city

ruuti0
12-14-2017, 12:26 PM
I like your opinions!

I hope that we could get more choises to every aspect of game. That would give game more longevity when it come to gameplay (hours). I am always been interested to try every "road" that you can go in previous Anno games and more there are them better!