PDA

View Full Version : Three questions about the MiG

The.MiG.Pimp
01-13-2004, 02:47 AM
Hi,

Three things I can't seem to find an answer to:

1) Is there a fuel mixture recommendation for these aircraft? At which altitude should you go to 80%? 60%? Is there any situation where the rich 120% should be used?

2) The IL2 aircraft roster claims that the MiG AM-38 mounts TWO 12.7 UB machine guns and two ShKAS 7.62's. However, when looking at it closely, it looks exactly like the MiG 3, with the standard x1 12.7 an x2 7.62 MG's. I can only see 3 muzzle flashes too. I assume this is a typing mistake. Any second opinions?

3) Does anybody have a table depicting the trajectory of the 12.7 UB machine gun? I normally set the gun sight to 200 m but fire quite frequently down to 50 meters. So the question is: if the sight is set on 200 and I fire at 100 meters, how far above the line of sight are the bullits travelling? (I assume a very flat trajectory, but this game has turned me into a perfectionist...)

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
The MiG Pimp

The.MiG.Pimp
01-13-2004, 02:47 AM
Hi,

Three things I can't seem to find an answer to:

1) Is there a fuel mixture recommendation for these aircraft? At which altitude should you go to 80%? 60%? Is there any situation where the rich 120% should be used?

2) The IL2 aircraft roster claims that the MiG AM-38 mounts TWO 12.7 UB machine guns and two ShKAS 7.62's. However, when looking at it closely, it looks exactly like the MiG 3, with the standard x1 12.7 an x2 7.62 MG's. I can only see 3 muzzle flashes too. I assume this is a typing mistake. Any second opinions?

3) Does anybody have a table depicting the trajectory of the 12.7 UB machine gun? I normally set the gun sight to 200 m but fire quite frequently down to 50 meters. So the question is: if the sight is set on 200 and I fire at 100 meters, how far above the line of sight are the bullits travelling? (I assume a very flat trajectory, but this game has turned me into a perfectionist...)

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
The MiG Pimp

Skarphol
01-13-2004, 08:12 AM
I'm not an expert on weapons and trajectory, but I assume that the bullet will be BELOW your line of sigth at 100m, considering that the muzzle is located in the nose of the plane, well (at least 30 cm (12")) below your line of sight. The bullet will probably ascend all the way towards a target at 200m.

The bullet will hardly rise and fall more than 5 cm (2") while travelling a distance of 200m.

These are not facts, just what i find logical based on the trajectory of the 7,62mm AG-3 rifle.

Skarphol

The.MiG.Pimp
01-15-2004, 08:17 AM
You are probably right that the bullets ascend during their flight path up to 200 meters. It would be interesting to know when they "peak" during the trajectory. Let's say the gun sight is set to 200m (600 feet), the rounds go maybe 20 cm under the line of sight, then probably continue to ascend after 200 meters. When I take on bombers, I commence firing at about 300 meters, short bursts. I then aim a little higher, but if the above theory is correct then I should aim under the bomber... Don't have any empircal evidence, though... Attacking them from their dead 6 is a crappy tactic, often resulting in a MG round in your engine. Still working on the best attack vector.

Cheers,
The MiG pimp

KaiserB_uk
01-15-2004, 10:05 AM
This isn't gospel but I've read that the 'convergence' setting only applies to wing mounted guns - i.e. only affects lateral not vertical displacement. From point blank range (say around 50ft) bullets mounted in the fuselage or propeller hub should hit where your gunsight says they will.

I'm open to correction of course http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

CheeseWeaver
01-15-2004, 10:48 AM
i wonder if it is physically possible to change the vertical convergence on propeller hub mounted guns (as on messers and Yaks). i suppose that they obviously dont change angle the propeller, so then the hole in the prop hub must be bigger than the gun muzzle?