PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Faction War changes?

CandleInTheDark
11-02-2017, 11:20 PM
So I posted this in the recap thread, but I thought having one thread for it might be a way for the devs to see people's initial reactions before it goes live, what do people think of these for faction war changes?

Three kinds of changes. Readability with UI refactor, war asset display and hotspots. Worldbuilding with terminology update and names for territories. Rules update with turn duration and assets carrying over.

Readability, they want to increase clarity and give more power to players to understand where and how to display war assets. Everything you see now will be faction based, the war map is much more clear. There are territories telling you what you are gaining or losing. Instead of percentages you will see actual numbers of assets deployed. They have said they hide nothing now, we see all the information. They have blinking areas with hotspots telling you where the closest territories are.

World building, they wanted to give a more concrete and inspiring experience. terminology changes, tactical view becomes war map, territory updates become battles, turns become battle preparation, rounds become campaigns,war assets become troops. they have named every territory. they also show the maps that can be played on each territory.

Rule updates, they wanted to focus on making it fair and engaging. Battle (turn) duration is now 11 hours. This is going to mean less changes for people that can play at a particular time of the day, it also evens out that some factions play more at different times during the day. Turn carry over, after every battle, 50% of the winner's advantage carries over on that territory and if other factions leave that territory alone this will grow, so every round matters. Isolating territories becomes a very tactical thing with that in mind.

They said that all this goes live with the season 4 DLC and that they will be looking to see if anything needs tweaking.They are hoping that 50% is the right spot for assets carrying over but that was the bit they specifically mentioned keeping an eye on. I am hoping that changing the readout from percentage to assets deployed will help put to bed the rigged rumours given assets deployed will certainly tell us more than 2% difference and I am quite interested to see how longer turns play out both in duration and with the turns per round being nearly halved.

RealJayDee1984
11-02-2017, 11:57 PM
Changes were desperately needed, and nothing about the ones they intend to implement seems to make the FW worse in my eyes. I really like that they'll add more fluff on top of the mechanics, like naming the territories. Stuff like that can go a long way for my own personal investment. And the intended increase in transparency is more than welcome as far as I am concerned. Now all this just needs to actually work in practice, then they have to do something to address the reward mess of the first 3 seasons and I might see myself stopping to ignore the FW at some point.

CandleInTheDark
11-03-2017, 12:38 AM
Changes were desperately needed, and nothing about the ones they intend to implement seems to make the FW worse in my eyes. I really like that they'll add more fluff on top of the mechanics, like naming the territories. Stuff like that can go a long way for my own personal investment. And the intended increase in transparency is more than welcome as far as I am concerned. Now all this just needs to actually work in practice, then they have to do something to address the reward mess of the first 3 seasons and I might see myself stopping to ignore the FW at some point.

Yeah the transparency is one of my biggest takeaways on it since if 2% in one territory means 50,000 assets and in another it means 10,000 assets and the vikings and knights are fighting over both of them with the knights owning the one that has a 50,000 asset lead then that lends fuel to the 'the faction war is rigged' fire. I too like the names, I like to make up stories about my characters when there is no set story to stay interested and a campaign over such and such a place makes that more immersive. As for the rewards, I really hope they keep the last format, it is the best of the three in my opinion (I like the very definite I won season x indicator with them being recognisable,leave one per character to the tournaments where you individually did it yourself) but either way they need to pick one format and stick to it.

Vakris_One
11-03-2017, 04:27 AM
All of these QoL changes sound great and were sorely needed, especially the assets carrying over. Finally! Now it will actually matter how well a faction performs throughout the ENTIRE round rather than whoever can cheekily snatch the win in the last 2 hours. Naming all the territories is also a nice little touch.

bmason1000
11-03-2017, 05:09 AM
I'm in to it. I've always really liked faction based on the theory of it and have tried to be a vocal supporter of it's potential. I like these changes. The carry over especially.

bmason1000
11-03-2017, 05:11 AM
...i wonder what they named the volcano territory? It's called mount ash or sonething, right? I'm liking the named territories, that's a nifty little aspect.

Stahlrusse
11-03-2017, 09:44 AM
Will there also be info on how many war assets the player personally deployed?

I get the feeling that it does not matter how I perform in matches the war asset amount was the same. Will this be a thing?

CandleInTheDark
11-03-2017, 01:55 PM
...i wonder what they named the volcano territory? It's called mount ash or sonething, right? I'm liking the named territories, that's a nifty little aspect.

I think the one you are thinking of is called Ignis, Mount Ash is the one that screwed the vikings over.

Armosias
11-03-2017, 02:11 PM
I guess they did this assets number change regarding the rigged FW theory. It's a great idea though! It brings more of a war style, and may allow more communications among thé factions.

FredEx919
11-03-2017, 02:56 PM
Thanks for sharing the thoughts everyone. We'll be revisiting this topic once the season launches to get your updated feedback as well.

gj4063
11-03-2017, 04:00 PM
With all the added detail, I'm expecting it to show how little contribution the individual makes.

And I hope it doesn't add more required tedium to the already tedious process of matchmaking.

CandleInTheDark
11-03-2017, 08:52 PM
With all the added detail, I'm expecting it to show how little contribution the individual makes.

And I hope it doesn't add more required tedium to the already tedious process of matchmaking.

Well yeah if one faction has 5000 people targeting an area and yours has 1000, then you are not going to add much, it is why I suggest that anyone interested in it as a whole join a group that collaborates asset deployments, they can be a wrecking ball in close fights. And they do add something that shows you where the race is close which should help you some as well.

CandleInTheDark
11-10-2017, 05:56 PM
I didn't know if I should start a new topic or just bring this one back but these are the full faction war changes pulled from the patch notes. First quarter to half is fluff (good quality fluff in my opinion though), there is quite a bit that is interesting past that.

--

Faction War Presentation Update

Developer Comments: This season we have completely overhauled the presentation of the Faction War, here’s a few reasons why:

We found that the Faction War was hard to understand as our terminology did not evoke the world wide conflict of our gameplay. So we reoriented our terminology around the concept of Battles between the Factions, so every turn you’re preparing for an upcoming Battle to bring glory to your Faction.

Another addition is that the Faction War is now shown from your Faction’s eyes!

We also want to be more transparent: the growing bars on the map represent which faction is leading did not do much to convey the scale of the conflict, or help people identify windows of opportunity. Now we are giving you real numbers to work with, you’ll see the numbers of Troops on territories grow along with your efforts and be able to make better strategic decisions.

To help players communicate and organise, we also named all of the territories on the map. Every single one and it was a lot of fun.

We look forward to seeing the whole community’s response to this update.

Terminology

Terminology around the Faction War has been updated to be clearer:

War Assets are now Troops
Rounds are now Campaigns
Turns are referred to as Battle Preparation
Territory updates are Battles
Tactical view is now War Map

Showing the state of the War

Now the Faction War is seen from your Faction point of view.
Instead of showing proportional bars of Troops placed by each Faction, we now show the amount of Troops your Faction Leads or Trails by on a specific territory.
The 3 territories with the smallest Lead or Trail are emphasised.
By selecting a territory, you can see the total amount of Troops deployed by each Faction on that territory. This value updates every minute or so (not in real-time).
By selecting a territory, you can also see how many Troops you personally have placed on that territory during Battle Preparation.
The crossed swords icon that represents a territory being lost is replaced by new arrows, which point from the winning Faction’s territories to the territory being conquered.

Territory Information

Each territory has a unique name.
We now display the icon of each playable map located on that territory.

Feedback

3D Models of Troops now appear on Territories where the player has deployed them manually.
The War Map’s appearance was changed to make it easier to understand.
Added audio feedback to messages when Troops are deployed between matches
Added a breakdown of the overall amount of territories your Faction is currently Winning or Losing to give a better overview of the battles.

Faction War Map Updates

9 new Faction War territories have been added to the map, 3 per faction.
Moved existing maps to different Faction War territories so the new maps are placed on, or close to, the front.

Faction War Rule Changes

Developer Comments: In addition to presentation and readability updates, we’ve updated some of the rules to build lasting impact. We found the Faction War Rules were too elastic, Territories changed hands too frequently and there was a general feeling that only the last 3-4 Battles of the Faction War really mattered.

The Faction War schedule has changed:

Each Battle Preparation is now 11 hours long instead of 6h. It is now feasible to participate in every Battle Preparation without sacrificing your sleep.
Each Campaign is now 31 battles instead of 57 (to keep the length of the Campaign the same as before).
Each Season is still 5 Campaigns

Faction War territories start each Campaign with Troops deployed to them.

Territories closer to Citadels receive the most troops. Territories on the front receive none.

Territories Troops carry-over

For every territory, 50% of the winning faction’s Troops advantage (winning faction Troops over the runner-up faction’s Troops) are now carried over from Battle to Battle.

For example, if you won a territory by having 5000 Troops and your runner-up has 3000 Troops, you will retain a base amount of 2000 Troops, which will then be divided by the 50% modifier. The winning faction will start the next Battle with 1000 Troops.

Developer Comments: We established that 50% is a good base value in order to balance between elasticity and faction’s ability to take over territories during a Battle. This value can be adjusted over time, as required, based on data collected and player’s feedbacks.

--

After a couple of readings, I really do like these changes.The starting assets thing is interesting, depending on the number, along with that there is the 50% carry over, it might well take a few turns to make advances past the original front line which will be interesting to see how that affects things. It sounds like each territory really is going to be a battle so hopefully we will have less going from 5 to 30 in three turns (or going down to 5 to begin with). If we can see the assets at all times by selecting them and if that includes the ones not active, that very much makes it all the more transparent. The only thing we won't know by the sound of it is faction numbers and their weighting mechanic but I am very much hoping that with the added transparency this feels a lot fairer and gets rid of most of the rigged noise.

FBIStealth
11-10-2017, 06:19 PM
I'm very anxious to see the changes. Having more in depth numbers we can do the math alittle better ourselves and may get to help on future Faction War changes. We couldnt help the way it was. Too much info was kept from us.