PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry 5 Map Editor | Mod support

Lenny_Official
11-02-2017, 03:33 PM
There are some cool mods for previous games, but we still don't have official mod support. It would be awesome to create custom objects, enemies, sounds or even change gameplay (map size etc.). That will definetly increase game's lifetime and attract bigger fanbase.

Steve64b
11-16-2017, 05:49 PM
Yeah, that would be awesome. But it could also be pretty hard to manage if it get popular. Because essentially, they'd be releasing a game _engine_ fit for players to use as they please. It wouldn't really be Far Cry anymore, but something else.

Technically parts can be done already, though not easily. It'd help a lot already if Ubi would expose some object properties in maps to customize, though creating new objects may pose a challenge. Especially on consoles.

The 'Evil Dead Boomstick' map on PC features custom objects, enemies, sounds and lighting effects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXnCykWHy7U

I can't change the gameplay or map size though. And custom enemies can't be spawned in without players requiring a mod installed. They work fine as wave1 though. In this map we tried to 'workaround' this by digging holes for the custom AI and spawning in ladders as wave objects instead. Hopefully they'll come out of their holes. :P

akilyoung
11-16-2017, 10:26 PM
THAT map is freaking amazing what he did...the deer head, the stretched head, all the effects...freaking cool!

Steve64b
11-22-2017, 11:46 AM
I fear that modding may not be possible as easy in FC5. In FC4, we had the 'patch_hd.dat' exploit. With Primal, there wasn't a 'managable' patchfile we could exploit, so we'd have to directly patch a 1GB big core game patchfile. I doubt FC5 will go the 'patch_hd.dat' route again, as it'll probably be based on Primal code rather than FC4. Meaning there's no need to have specific 'hd' packages to accomodate 'more powerful' hardware. Unless there'd be both native 4K-based texture editions as well as 1080p ones. But the 4K patches would probably be rather big in filesize too, hard to do mods if the mod requires several gigs to download... :/

Viragoxv535
11-22-2017, 10:05 PM
Far Cry has never been mod friendly.

With Primal, there wasn't a 'managable' patchfile we could exploit, so we'd have to directly patch a 1GB big core game patchfile.
Why haven't you used xdelta to share the mods?

Alpha_sgt_14
01-04-2018, 03:30 PM
I hope for the sakes of Steve and his awesome mods that it's possible for him. With the new editor I would imagine the possibilities would be a lot greater than that of fc4.

Steve64b
01-04-2018, 03:49 PM
I hope for the sakes of Steve and his awesome mods that it's possible for him. With the new editor I would imagine the possibilities would be a lot greater than that of fc4.
Gee, thanks! :D

I'm indeed hoping FC5 will be editor-modable like its predecessors. I'm even silently hoping that this time, they'll allow *all* (Single Player) assets to be used in the Map Editor, instead of those in the 'multicommon' collection. Just realizing all the objects & textures used in FC4's main game, it's a shame we can't put those to use and create more (narrative) rich custom map experiences.

Why haven't you used xdelta to share the mods?
The mods I did so far were limited to FC4 and haven't been released on a large scale. Any difference patcher would over-complicate things, because they require a specific (vanilla) version of the file to begin with. Self-contained datfiles work all the time, plus people are mostly used to just swapping files in/&out. For FC4 that worked OK, guess we'll have to see for FC5.

But even if it would be feasible, it'll probably be a while after the game's released though. The compression/encryption scheme has changed with every Far Cry game released thus far. So modders will need updated tools to go at it. ;)

Alpha_sgt_14
01-04-2018, 03:56 PM
Gee, thanks! :D

I'm indeed hoping FC5 will be editor-modable like its predecessors. I'm even silently hoping that this time, they'll allow *all* (Single Player) assets to be used in the Map Editor, instead of those in the 'multicommon' collection. Just realizing all the objects & textures used in FC4's main game, it's a shame we can't put those to use and create more (narrative) rich custom map experiences.

Np man :)
Just imagine what they could do with a modding community. Steam workshop like stuff comparable to like skyrim or fallout. That coupled with an editor would just be endless possibilities. Woah...

Imaganos
02-24-2018, 08:06 PM
That is awesome!

ImGonaG3tUsucka
02-27-2018, 12:52 AM
Steve64b is amazing with Mods. The evil dead map is a great example.. He even helped me with this map. Boomer,Grace and Nick. The Far Cry 4 map has companions like the Far Cry 5 Demo

https://youtu.be/mJhcYeVHzNk
So I hope he will be able to use mods in Far Cry 5.

Steve64b
11-15-2018, 12:50 PM
Well, after some trial and error, the answer is: YES, I'm able to use mods in Far Cry 5! :)
Check this video of the Evil Dead Boomstick map, which showcases some mods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn0nNmzzalo

Modding is only possible on the PC platform. In terms of conventional editor modding, I found: Using assets/materials already existing in the main game's files is possible. BUT, there may be a catch: some assets were designed for specific (limited) use cases. Using them outside their intended scope may prove troublesome or even may cause the game to crash! Imagine putting a Blood Dragon against a Mars DLC Yeti. They will fight eachother, but as the Mars Yeti never needed to fight a dragon in the Mars DLC, it didn't load the required animations. While fighting however, the Blood Dragon still wants to play those animations, and the game will crash.
It's possible to add new (modded) assets to the Map Editor. They will work in custom maps, but they can't be spawned in (because that would require a mod to be installed on the game). Usage of these objects in scripting is limited to trigger event and despawning. There are "locked doors" in the game that work in the Editor. However, they only work once per session; when players die and restart the map, any previously unlocked doors will remain unlocked. Until you exit to the Arcade menu and load the map again. While there are interactable switches in the game files, I haven't found a way to make them trigger scripts, unfortunately.
Aside from the conventional modding, it's possible to make limited modifications to the Editor itself. This includes things like bypassing Editor (Budget) limits, and allowing basic scripts in multiplayer. It even allows (de)spawning of any object, with mixed results (the navmesh won't update so AI won't react to changes in their environment). So things may be a bit trial-and-error, but as you can see they allow for some interesting effects! :)

I'm hoping to release a first version of my editormod soon. It'll feature the Zombie DLC assets previously uncovered for all platforms (https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1955197-RELEASE-New-Assets-Add-more-Zombie-DLC-assets-to-your-maps!?p=13777195), thousands of main campaign assets, some static variants of dynamic objects, more textures to retexture generic objects with, animation points, locked doors with keys (players first need to find a key before they can open a door) and gadgets as pickup (players first need to find and pick up the grappling hook in order to to access grapple points). Probably will include some more weapon(skins) too, including the Magnopulsar. :)