PDA

View Full Version : Lufbery Circle for BoB?

TimTam27
03-02-2004, 12:43 AM
Here is just a small suggestion for BoB. In many accounts of the combat in the Battle of Britain I have noted that when attacked, some Bf 110 units would form a Lubery circle. This formation although by nature totally defensive and inflexible assured that each aircraft always had its tail covered. It forced the enemy to make attacks from difficult angles and forced them to break off attacks early. I believe this formation was also used by the most succesful of the Defiant squadrons No. 264. I know this formation was used by the the RAF in the desert fighting as well as there is an account of Marseille picking off Tomahawks from a Lufbery circle with 90 degree deflection shots.
I don't know anything about game coding and if it would be possible to include this in the AI routines but if you are going to suggest something like this I guess it is better now than after the sim is released.

Cheers,

TimTam27

TimTam27
03-02-2004, 12:43 AM
Here is just a small suggestion for BoB. In many accounts of the combat in the Battle of Britain I have noted that when attacked, some Bf 110 units would form a Lubery circle. This formation although by nature totally defensive and inflexible assured that each aircraft always had its tail covered. It forced the enemy to make attacks from difficult angles and forced them to break off attacks early. I believe this formation was also used by the most succesful of the Defiant squadrons No. 264. I know this formation was used by the the RAF in the desert fighting as well as there is an account of Marseille picking off Tomahawks from a Lufbery circle with 90 degree deflection shots.
I don't know anything about game coding and if it would be possible to include this in the AI routines but if you are going to suggest something like this I guess it is better now than after the sim is released.

Cheers,

TimTam27

Hristo_
03-02-2004, 11:03 PM
It was also used by RAF pilots in North Africa. I like the AI Lufberry idea, as it is historical and it would be great for lower skill AI settings.

http://easyweb.globalnet.hr/easyweb/users/ntomlino/uploads/sig.jpg

JG52_wunsch
03-04-2004, 12:14 PM
hey
hopefuly that and things like,the brits using
3 fighter vics(early),line abreast,finger four(late) formations for both will be added,for realism,cheers