PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry 5 Map Reviews

DapperHayden007
11-01-2017, 02:44 PM
As some of you guys may know, I used to make reviews on people's maps (with SLIM REEPER) on previous Far Cry's

With Far Cry 5's release in February, I will be looking at some people's maps and giving my own review in a video, granted, I will not be reviewing them all, but will definitely try and complete 1 a week.

I will be writing all the names of the maps posted in here down and putting them in a hat to choose at random.

Now the're will be a lot of honest opinions when doing this, so I'll urge everyone to see It as an opinion.

In the past there have been a couple of people who (after they receive their reviews) they did not like the outcome of the review. This is fair, but people must not blame me for having an opinion.

In the mean time while we wait for FC5 I will be starting to review a couple of FC4 maps.
(If you have any then please send me a Private Message on here and I'll see what I can do) <- all FC4 maps must be PC unfortunately

When the time comes, I will update this thread and start taking maps in for review

C0MMANDERC0LS0N
11-01-2017, 06:20 PM
This is a great idea and I'd implore for others to do similar. The Halo Community's level editor, "Forge" gained a lot of momentum over the years due to a community of charismatic youtubers uploading 'Map Features,' which essentially took popular and high quality maps in the community, and featured them in youtube reviews. These Forge Youtubers eventually became the go-to when one was looking for a cool new map to play, and helped lot's of people meet and interact with each other. The website Forgehub.com also played a roll in this, acting as a site you could upload your map and it's download link on, something that would often be left in the description of a 'Map Feature'.

TheSlimReeper
11-01-2017, 10:22 PM
Awesome, glad you started them up again. :D

longridr
11-02-2017, 01:58 AM
That'll definitely be cool! Ill probably start up some little Map run-through or play-through reviews myself, Hopefully the lobby system doesn't disappoint :D

Alpha_sgt_14
11-02-2017, 02:28 AM
Sounds like a pretty solid plan dapper :). FC5 is going to be something special

Farcryisdead
11-02-2017, 10:44 AM
Sounds like a pretty solid plan dapper :). FC5 is going to be something special

I really hope fc5 is gonna be special :) im all in now regardless of how it turns out.

akilyoung
11-02-2017, 01:57 PM
Right on Hayden! Things like this, along with contests, really help motivate the community :)

Fallen-Champ
11-02-2017, 04:04 PM
Yeah i will be doing something similar, my plan is to pick one map per week for each platform PS4 / XB1 / PC
Unsure if I will stick to PvP only or if I might mic it up between SP / COOP and PvP each week.

I want the maps to be special so it won't be easy getting picked, there won't be no gimmes because I am on your friends list or anything it will be down to the maps performing.
Also going to look at doing my own Hall Of fame for the special maps - it will only be my own opinion so should anyone want to cry about it they can do their own list and reviews;)

akilyoung
11-03-2017, 02:14 PM
BTW if you create this kind of content Hayden, we can put it on front page at Battlemap too

akilyoung
11-04-2017, 01:27 AM
Yes, Simon is correct, and I didnt mean that by my statement, so thank you for clarifying that Simon.

The community needs to come together more than ever right now. All channels of media need to be linked too. Believe me, Maxpower is trying to figure out ways to integrate things like twitter, FB and other venues into battlemap. So we fully plan on doing our part to not only promote other parts of the community, but to also be a sort of aggregate for the community too.

Mind you, its still a work in progress, and likely will be until (and maybe a bit after..) FC5 releases. But make sure to check in at battlemap to see what we have been working on every so often, and mind you, the database and forums are still up and running, so feel free to upload your maps you make ;)

ImGonaG3tUsucka
11-04-2017, 05:27 PM
What would be good would be if we do a review via Dapper or Champ, then that review gets put on LazyMapper's youtube, on battelmap, on Kemet's twitch and on every other media our Community has at its disposal.

What I don't want to see is one part of our media outlets trying to take ownership.

Good point.. Sabotur.. Early on, Fallen Champ and I talk about this and that's why I try to give a mention or a link in my videos to Fallen Champ and Kemet. I never liked what some of these main stream youtubers did to Far Cry.. with silly invincible maps..Jackse***** I try to show people the great maps that are on Far Cry.. Build interest in the editor and help other mappers improve their maps.. When Far Cy 5 comes out, Some pro Youtubers will make a mockery of the editor to get views and promote very basic maps.. Hey some silly fun maps are ok, Sure but when these Big Youtubers make videos of ONLY those basic silly maps.. Far Cry 5 may get flooded with very basic maps that are flat, no textures, no challenge to them. Just like Far Cry 4 is.. Jacksomething Maps.. And That's part of the problem with the Rating System..

I appreciate the support I have received from others mappers. I know we may not all agree on everything, but we all want the best for the Far Cry editor.

I will say what I think regardless of views or subs, but I do try to be supportive to new mappers and may come across as too light on them. I know my first maps were just plain awful. So Dapper, be sure to point out the good things you see in the map.

DapperHayden007
11-04-2017, 06:21 PM
I will say what I think regardless of views or subs, but I do try to be supportive to new mappers and may come across as too light on them. I know my first maps were just plain awful. So Dapper, be sure to point out the good things you see in the map.

I've always been told by other map makers that my reviews can often come across as quite lenient and quite high scoring, however, I always do provide constructive feedback when it comes to these reviews, I will definitely be trying my best to provide Hints & Tips in areas on people's maps rather than saying "this area of the map is too basic" instead I'd say something like this "This area of the map could be improved somewhat, try adding _____ or _____ and see what you think, it may work well, or it may not" Giving the player a choice, however, if I see a map I really want to review, rather than putting their name in a draw, I'll be asking them permission to review their map and then just doing so.

I'll do a quick text review on a map over the next few days to see what they're actually like when I do them :)

Fallen-Champ
11-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Myself and The Lazy Mapper had a conversation about me been a Gordon Ramsey Far Cry Nightmares type reviewer.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71XhEZKisLL._SY445_.jpg
Anyone that remembers me from Instincts or Far Cry 2 will know I am often very critical of my own maps, it's easy for any of us to point out a negative but turning it into a positive is a good move.

The issue is that some just can't take any form of criticism unless it is positive.
I always say "Your only as good as your last map" Good maps people remember where bad maps are forgotten in a matter of weeks.

No one should get a green card just because of name or what they made in the past because that's complacency - I think it's better if people earn their ratings rather than getting them the second they press Publish.

I am up for doing map reviews and will be looking for those special maps - would I take recommendations sure but I won't kiss a$$ so won't say a maps good if its $hit but at the same time will find positives and won't be as brutal as I would be on my own maps.

ImGonaG3tUsucka
11-04-2017, 08:58 PM
I think map reviews are great..and the mapper can learn a lot.. but running around a map and pointing out a mistake, which is something that even the most experienced mappers make like a floating object or a ladder that's backwards can look to be a bit of a Nikpick. Which is fine and all. but can make a mapper feel singled out. Unless the mappers asked to be singled out.. then Gordon Ramsay away.. I think that would be a great feature on your channel.. Fallen Champ the Gordon Ramsay of custom maps.. Would generate a lot of buzz. could even be fun.. for the mapper too, some may beg for their lashings.. haha I think it sure would make a lot of fans of far cry want to see the videos.. I already said you should try it and you should.. :)

Fallen-Champ
11-04-2017, 11:07 PM
I think the 2 of us would be hilarious especially if we had a few beers beforehand - we could even make some low effort maps ourselves to show how its done and trash the hell out of them verbally.
If someone is game for a laugh and a little crazy I am sure we could make a funny video - hell we could even walk around the map with the creator and take the piss out of them and the map - and they could verbally abuse us back if they wanted. (I am totally fine with that if it's all for fun)

Have some ideas we can talk in PM