PDA

View Full Version : Research institutes (a research system for Anno 1800)

Olinater
10-25-2017, 10:39 PM
Inspired by what wokkeltje said in another thread (/showthread.php/1770637-Passenger-Transportation-Between-Cities-Ship-Rail), I came up with a research system in Anno 1800.

What is it?
Wouldn’t it be nice to split the research system up into multiple ‘themes’? Themes like naval technology, urban design, agriculture, etc.
It works like this: You build the building of an institute, but instead of having to reach a certain population surplus (or pay money) to access certain technologies, you need to supply the building with related ‘discoveries’ in the form of sending out research expedition to the related theme. For example, a farm, undiscovered land, or to ‘strange waters’. This would require you to build research and maintain research units (like expedition ships, or expedition parties).

Let me give you an example:
Imagine I build an Institute of Naval Research. This will allow me to research naval technology to upgrade my ships (e.g. more cannons, loading space, speed, etc.). To make sure I can access these researches I have to supply the building with ‘discoveries’ (information). I can supply it with discoveries that the research ship (or ships, to speed up the progress) that I build is making when I send it on expedition.
When I have ‘produced’ enough knowledge I can research new naval technologies.

Question: How does an expedition look like?
Answer: If it concerns a ship, it is probably just randomly navigating around the map.

Different research themes/ institutes have different ways of gathering resources to produce knowledge. Naval is about sending out ships, agriculture is about sending researchers to fertile lands, etc.

Why this system as opposed to a research system like in 2070?
Well, what makes this system more interesting rather than a single research facility with a single research currency (e.g. population and/or money) is that you can build more diverse buildings, and potentially units (every institute has its own building and expedition/research team). Moreover, there are now more ways of gathering new technologies.
What the system does, is trying to make it hard to focus on all research themes at once (unless you have a very well-developed economy to support such expensive research). This also allows you to be have a well-developed agricultural sector, but you are lacking behind in naval technology. This could be interesting if you want to wage war with an AI or other player and it turns out through espionage (that’s a hint) he is more advanced in naval technologies which could give him that extra edge in naval battles. However, you have more advanced troops so if you could take the battle to land, you might make a chance.

But why stop there? Why not make technology tradable, and thereby making research even more economically interesting!

stylisticsagi
10-26-2017, 06:39 AM
Anno 1503 had a system like this.
2070 However was better at it.
Because they created items to upgrade your ships warehouses and such.
With items you get a much bigger room for custemization then you would with instant technologies.
2070 however did lack many interesting items like 1404 had and 1404 the items where bought with honour wich was quite valuable early to mid game.

I hope to see universities or simular research buildings like 2070 altough the buildings could be a bit faster and bigger.
In 2070 you had to have to much of them, i prefer fewer wich work better, or better yet give us the choice by starting with lets say a school and with later civ you can build a university wich works the same way but produces items much faster and has a larger influence range.

iruet
10-26-2017, 09:56 PM
I would love to see a system like this, it's kinda like the skilled workers idea and the technology scheme from other versions :)

I'd like to add: Custom titles would be nice and unlocking somekind of king's house :)

AgmasGold
10-27-2017, 09:43 AM
Sound like a great idea.

SirDavidFirst
10-28-2017, 09:56 AM
I like the idea, lets take the plans of a new ship, every part work as one, but you would have learn from each part to connect to each part, to have it working as one. Sorry am I making sense?