PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Transportation Between Cities - Ship, Rail

citizensfor
10-21-2017, 09:08 PM
So, something that hasn't been covered by an Anno Game before (that I know of) is the transportation of passengers between the cities on a map.

It seems like adding passenger ferries/ships and perhaps rail would be a fun addition to the game.

There could be a demand meter between cities, and passenger ships should be assigned routes to get people moving around the map.. afterall it is 1800, and there were passenger ships aplenty.

It would be fun to watch the largest cities develop a robust route network transporting passengers to and fro, as busy seaports connect distant settlements, and busy routes see larger ships.

AgmasGold
10-21-2017, 09:29 PM
Although I think it might be interesting, it might just not be Anno. Adding a form of transportation sim within the game would make sense -- but it would have made sense in many of the previous titles (2205, 2070, possibly 1701). I don't think adding this feature would be that trivial either, it would be quite the major undertaking.

Although it has previously been discussed about having ways to transport workers between islands (workforce etc), having to build networks to account for supply/demand and passengers would confuse Anno. The main feature of the game is the supply chains of products, not transportation networks of peolple. In my opinion, if this were added, it might detract from Anno's main feature, which is the production chains of goods.

citizensfor
10-21-2017, 11:18 PM
It really wouldn't be that complicated, you would buy a passenger ship, assign it to a route, just like any trade route, set it and forget it and that's all there is to it.

The route would either be profitable, or not depending on ridership.

As demand would grow, you would likely want to buy another ship, or invest in a larger one, and dedicate ships to one particular route if it gets popular, instead of having one ship service a number of cities when demand wasn't warranted.

The busiest ports in the largest city would bustle with shipping activity. Sounds good to me.

The "It's not Anno" excuse seems played to me, and just means Anno isn't evolving and is instead stuck in a very simplistic game style which is frankly getting boring.

This is what happened in real life, where piers and shipyards were full of passenger transportation. This would be a very fun element of this game which has so far not been implemented. It's a lot more fun than having to harvest some new material to be transported to be ground up into glasses lenses etc.

AgmasGold
10-22-2017, 12:15 AM
I think its more implementing the supply/demand between islands.

At the moment, when a product is created on an island, its just a product. It doesn't change or affect anything else by itself.

With the system you're describing above (at least how I understand it), as demand/fulfilment of demand changes on one island, this would then need to affect other islands. That is where I think the complexity comes in. Then you need to figure out what creates demand, for example, it could be just population size, but what if that population has more needs fulfilled and are happier, surely more people will want to go there? This then adds extra layers of complexity (that I think are needed to actually make the system interesting).

wokkeltje
10-23-2017, 02:36 PM
I think i would like something like this:

Just like the need for Property in Anno 1404, fulfulled with Books, Candlesticks, Glasses, Carpets, Pearl Necklaces and Perfume, you will get a Need for "Knowledge"

Knowledge might not be the best name for this, but it will stand for the need that your inhabitants have of learning about the world they live in. Something that came up during this period in real history. Expeditions to far away lands, but also fairs in big cities showing the wonders of the world (World Fair and Zoo we allready see in the game).

To fullfill the demand of this, you can have fixed buildings you place, with radius it affects. But you can also supply the demand of this by having ships on a fixed route to another Island. Maybe you can do this by having a percentage if your inhabitants, as required capacity of your passenger route's. Setting up a route will provide you with a number towards this required amount so you might need to setup multiple routes to achieve this. And having certain destinations that will have a higher amount because of another "culture", or maybe special bonuses you can have through the item system. (have a famous explorer on your boat provide +20% or something)

It is basicly setting up a trade route, and provide your city with a type of good, but instead of physical tonnes of goods, you move passengers.

Ports may require food to operate (to supply the ships), so you have to setup a food production chain on a distant island, setup the route, and you hereby supply your main city with 50% of the needed amount. So to let your inhabitants advance to a next level, you need 2 passenger route's. (one to a native land, one to an exotic maybe?)

What do you think?

iruet
10-23-2017, 04:19 PM
As Agmas said, "it might just not be anno"...

I am personally against it, since it will become something like settlers, and I don't want that tbh... I prefer anno as it is, yes change is good.... but in my opinion this change ain't good for the series....

Olinater
10-24-2017, 10:13 PM
While I do like some ideas of having to transport people, I don't think it will be in the game. For the same reason as AgmasGold already mentioned: goods, and not people, are the main part of the game.

However, there is something to say for transporting people. The age of industrialization is also known for its revolutions in transport which allowed goods, and people, to be transported at a much faster rate, making the world a relatively smaller place. I would love to set up sophisticated railroads across my island connecting every important place. But a ferry system is probably not going to work out. I don’t see the ‘need’ to transport people across different islands. Not for any of the reasons named above.
A ‘supply and demand’ type of passenger service is, as AgmasGold already argumented, probably quite hard to implement. Besides, I don’t see the use of it. Why should I be transporting people to other islands? ‘Just to add more complexity’ wouldn’t be sufficient to me. It has to make sense to put in as system like you are suggesting. I know that a lot of people started using passenger ships in this era, but why should it be relevant to Anno? Moreover, in previous Anno’s (except for 2205…), my ports would already be very busy places once my city had grown into a reasonable size. More ships would make the place look ‘messy’, though that’s just my opinion.

@ wokkeltje. I don’t know exactly what you are trying to say. You want to make people learn about the world by putting them on passenger transport routes? And what kind of ‘buildings’ did you have in mind?

wokkeltje
10-25-2017, 08:45 AM
I agree that Anno is about Goods, and don't really mean you transport passengers around as "items".

See it as a Need from your inhabitants. And the way to supply that need is to have a certain number of points (for example, 5% of all "Aristocrats"), and to get to this number of points, you can either place a couple of buildings (with a action radius), or have the island connected to passenger routes.

Some examples:

-A Passenger Route, with the smallest passenger ship you have, Connected to a nearby island, gives you 25 points.
-A Passenger Route, with a bigger ship, to the same island gives you 35 points.
-A Passenger Route, with the same big ship, to a "Exotic" island (For Example, Anno1404: From Occidental to Oriental), gives you 50 points.
-A Passenger Route, To the same Exotic Island, with the same ship, but with a power item on board (The Explorer Livingstone), gives you 65 Points.

-A house in the action radius of the building: The Museum, gives you 25 points.

Say your population that want to evolve to the next level (2-3), needs 50 points (So a Museum, and 1 passenger route to 1 island. OR 1 route that gives at least 50 points).
From level 3-4 you might need 100 points. needing another combination of routes and buildings.

What i like about this, is that instead of evolving your population to the next level, needing 4 new goods, so setting up 4 new production chains which is essentially kind of the same gameplay. You can now have one which is very similar, but a bit different.

And to tie it in a bit more, you could have harbor buildings required for certain ships, A small dock for the first couple of ships, but a big one for the big passenger liner (a little Titanic maybe?). The small one only requires food to operate (and so you need to account this in the food supply of your city), but the bigger one needs a couple of them,

iruet
10-25-2017, 08:50 PM
Ia little Titanic maybe?

Whahahahaha u want to implement a ship that sunk on it's first journey? u needz lots of ships then... :D

Olinater
10-25-2017, 09:59 PM
And why do you need passenger lines to fulfil this need for knowledge? Wouldn’t it make more sense to send out something like expedition parties to supply ‘discoveries’ to the museums. Who then turn it into ‘knowledge’.
You know, this actually inspires me on something related. But I’ll make a new topic of it since I would else go too far off-topic.

iruet
10-25-2017, 10:13 PM
I like that idea, that u need knowledge instead of skilled workers

But how are you going to get that knowledge then? That part is a bit vague for me...

SirDavidFirst
10-28-2017, 09:45 AM
Yes, I love the idea, its taking anno one forward, like in most anno games it is about your company, and how much money can be made, well good moving around is one thing but people is good as well, in 2205 your transported people to the moon yes, did not see how money was involved, but the idea of moving goods and people is the next step in the anno game, where people pay they way by ship or train? I like it.

citizensfor
11-08-2017, 04:39 AM
It's weird to me that the Anno series is so interested transporting everything from Potash to Cattle Pelts and everything in between.. yet isn't interested in transporting people...

The dockyards bustle.. but only with ships full of spices, tools, but no people. It's fun having to increase the dock areas, and increase the infrastructure around the port, but it's weird that there aren't passenger ships travelling on the main routes between the rather "empty" feeling cities.

In the 1800s passenger transportation between cities was booming. Docks were packed with passenger ships heading to distant and domestic locals.

A large scale passenger shipping aspect would be very cool, think "White Star Lines" but regular "ferry" service, and smaller passenger ships should be available.

From the screenshots we've been shown so far of 1800, it appears there are passenger vessels, which is hopeful.

citizensfor
11-08-2017, 04:48 AM
I think its more implementing the supply/demand between islands.

At the moment, when a product is created on an island, its just a product. It doesn't change or affect anything else by itself.

With the system you're describing above (at least how I understand it), as demand/fulfilment of demand changes on one island, this would then need to affect other islands. That is where I think the complexity comes in. Then you need to figure out what creates demand, for example, it could be just population size, but what if that population has more needs fulfilled and are happier, surely more people will want to go there? This then adds extra layers of complexity (that I think are needed to actually make the system interesting).

Actually, you completely over complicated and convoluted what I was saying.

What I was talking about is simply having a given "passenger demand" that generates a given number of passengers in a city, the better the service, the higher the demand.

This isn't a radical idea. Games 20 years ago such as transport tycoon were able to do this, I'm pretty sure Ubisoft can manage to create a city demand for transportation to other cities. It would hopefully be more demand between cities oriented, which Transport Tycoon wasn't and could be easily gamed, but you get the idea.

citizensfor
11-08-2017, 04:58 AM
@ AgmasGold..

Sorry, after re-reading what you wrote, you and I are actually kind of agreeing on this.

It would basically be a more advance versions of the Transport Tycoon style demand for a station, or could be more advanced, liked the combined economy and other factors of the city and other local competition in docks and economy etc.

Sorry for jumping the gun and misunderstanding a bit on what you were saying.

AgmasGold
11-08-2017, 09:28 AM
No problem, I think maybe elements of "having a need not fulfilled by a production good", could be interesting either way, it just depends on whether or not it could be implemented to the fidelity you are hoping for given the engine :).

gondorkrieger
11-08-2017, 12:13 PM
Hello,

I think it would be awesome to have such passenger-ships.

It would make the game a little more difficult, but I don't think this will be a problem for real Anno-Gamers.

I hope the developers are going to implement this in Anno 1800.

I wish you all guys a nice day.

Ciao,
gondorkrieger