PDA

View Full Version : Tailoring the duel map

Rolandcall
10-21-2017, 06:29 PM
It's usually only assassin and range characters that seem to think the duel map should always be where their class is advantaged. The duel starts and they turn around and run to the part they like. It's obnoxious especially when playing as a class that does better in enclosed areas. Anyone who does this, why do you think you get to decide where the fight is?

UbiJurassic
10-21-2017, 06:41 PM
Most of the times, when someone runs to a different section of the map, it's less about taking control of class advantage and more avoiding environmental kills. Many people don't want to battle near ledges or bodies of water so they can focus purely on fighting, as opposed to their surroundings.

Takuram
10-21-2017, 06:46 PM
I do want to see more enclosed sections of maps in duels though, like hallways and such...
Now this is probably just MY opinion, but I think duel maps should have no enviromental kills at all, while brawl should have some and have all players start close to each other.

Rolandcall
10-21-2017, 06:47 PM
Except that's a part of the game that specifically advantages some classes over others, and deciding only your class get's advantaged is ****ty. When I'm near a bunch of ledges and I see a LB, a Conq, a warlord, a raider. I just engage them, I don't go hide because one map wasn't in my favor.

Dude_of_Valor
10-25-2017, 12:28 PM
It's usually only assassin and range characters that seem to think the duel map should always be where their class is advantaged. The duel starts and they turn around and run to the part they like. It's obnoxious especially when playing as a class that does better in enclosed areas. Anyone who does this, why do you think you get to decide where the fight is?

Well you are under no obligation to fight them where the choose. It gets even better if you damage them as then you can pick the spot, and if they refuse, well they loose the match.

I fought a Centurion who refused to move out of a spot which had a wall on one side, and a lake the other. Was rather boring waiting for him but as I had more health than him I just waited it out and won the match. He was not happy but the onus was on him to chase the game.

Remember choosing a more suitable place to battle is not a bad thing, and I would consider it good game play to do so.

DoctorMcBatman
10-25-2017, 02:34 PM

Not only do the vast majority of duel maps favor non-assassins, many of the situations in 4v4 play favor non-assassins. Tight spaces surrounded by 3 walls and lots of ledges. Some 4v4 maps are basically games of "who can ledge more?"

Yes, as a PK I'm not going to be happy about fighting a LB on that tiny causeway on the side of Sanctuary Bridge. The more open, center area of that duel map is far more fair. Plenty of open space AND fire/walls for daddy LB if he's strategic. There's nothing skillful about shoving a character off a 3 foot wide pathway.

This goes back to "what is the game supposed to be?" Through development, I thought it was supposed to be a medieval style swordplay-focused game (was I wrong in how I viewed it?)

In it's current state, it's a cheesefest for the most part (albeit very fun). Catapult, ledges, mechanics that encourage passive play, feats that recover half your health for no reason, etc..