PDA

View Full Version : Feels like returning players get shafted

Leon026
10-20-2017, 10:54 PM
I try to play a bit after a 6 month hiatus.

I get matched up with uber dudes as if I was playing 6 months ago when I was actually playing the game.

These days I can't even remember how to parry and the guard break counter feels off. Have they changed it?

Nonetheless, matchmaking isn't fun. Being constantly told by the game that I utterly suck, and getting laughed at by opponents suck. Yes, I blow. I haven't played it in 6 months, I get it. Now IS there a solution to actually being put in the MMR bracket where I belong? At this rate, the whole losing streak in 100-0 is getting a bit stale. Getting told "lol centurion can't even fight" when I *just* unlocked it because he felt cool is well, whatever, I don't even know the meta, so thanks? Actually having a good fight is hard to come by...which makes the situation even more depressing.

I want to enjoy the game, I really do, but I'm willing to get slapped around like a dog's chew-toy for only so long. If there's any advice on how to fix this ******ed MMR of mine other than doing afk duels so I can lose enough to actually be where I need to be, I'm totally open to ides.

IesooMI
10-20-2017, 11:00 PM
Put in the time and get better by playing and practicing. Why should
You be rewarded for giving up on a game we all stuck it out with? Go
Buy MK or street fighter and let me know how gentle they are to new players over there.

UbiInsulin
10-20-2017, 11:54 PM
Put in the time and get better by playing and practicing. Why should
You be rewarded for giving up on a game we all stuck it out with? Go
Buy MK or street fighter and let me know how gentle they are to new players over there.

I think OP is putting their best foot forward and genuinely asking for advice. There's no need to "git gud" somebody who is trying to improve.

@Leon026, the Cent was quite the flashpoint for a while in the community. I'm sorry if the criticism has dampened the excitement of trying a new hero, but as you said, it's related to the meta and longtime Cent mains have been dealing with this for a while.

Have you experimented with PvAI or high player-count game modes to try to ease back into the game?

ttrat
10-20-2017, 11:59 PM
As previously stated, hopping into some pvAI is a great way to get your mojo back, or just to have some casual fun swingin' the ol' sword around. Also some coop fun in a mode like Dominion. I do this when I just want to burn off some steam without getting worked up by getting tossed around like a ragdoll by some rep 20 Lawbro.

Malyngo
10-21-2017, 12:25 AM
These days I can't even remember how to parry and the guard break counter feels off. Have they changed it?
I think there were some changes, but they were before I started playing (started at the free weekend).

There is one thing about the counter guard break: If you learned it with the Warden, there is a big chance that you will have a really hard time with all the other heroes, because the Warden's time window to do the CGB is much bigger than everyone elses.

With the Warden, you can press the button as soon as the other guy starts the GB, all the way until it connects (the shield symbol moves from oponnent to your guy and looks broken).
With all the other heroes, you have a very short time window aorund the point where the GB connects. Forget the hint in the tutorial that says "press the button at the start of the guard break". This ONLY applies to the Warden.

You can try that yourself in the Advanced Tutorial. The very first thing you train in there is the CGB.

I found Skirmish PvAI quite relaxing.This seems to be a quite good mode to get back into things.

Leon026
10-21-2017, 01:59 PM
I actually hadn't thought about PvAI skirmish mode. I'll have to try that.

Most of my practice so far has been doing the "How to Play" and using practice bots, starting from level 0 to learn the moves (and coincidentally deciding that the centurion had a beefy combat style that appealed to me, as opposed to my previous play with the Orochi) and gradually moving towards level 3 bots.

I'm starting to get the hang of the guard break, but there's still a few things that have surprised me a bit that I wish the bots would do to allow me to practice, namely the Conqueror's shield bash into grab transition that during a duel, I had no idea how to counter, so got that spammed to death. Still, kept dueling the guy to see if there's a way to counter that, as I can't seem to dodge out of? Wish the AI would be programmable to allow practicing against certain movesets by I digress.

I'll get my returning buddies to do some skirmish PvAI with me, as they too have been having a similar experience. Thanks for the advice.