PDA

View Full Version : An untapped resource of mappers

AW LOST SOLDIER
10-19-2017, 05:16 PM
As a community we need to think of things to get non far cry mappers into becoming far cry mappers. we somehow need to find a way of pulling all those creative minecrafters across to the fc5 map editor. they need to know how much better the far cry map editor is. maybe someone could make a comparison video for the far cry map editor and minecraft.

truesurv1val
10-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Simple.

Far Cry would need a Crafting Table. The way this would work is not from gathering resources from mineshafts but from completing in game quests.

Quite a simple thing, you gain certain objects from completing missions and side quests. Even racing or anything else, killing animals might give you an object.

Much like the FC Map Editor, with a few objects you can construct vast things. So the crafting table would be where you take your mission rewards to create.... duh duh duh.. I dunno... whatever. A buzzer maybe? Something that enlarges your game or your place in it. It could be gun parts. Eventually you end up with a totally OP gun. I dunno, I just make maps lol.

Then Ubi would have to put out a huge PR Marketing Campaign mentioning their "CRAFTING TABLE"

As soon as all the Minecraft boys see those 2 words they are in.

Bad idea if you ask me. You just limiting creativity and give advantage to the grinders. The last Little big planet did something like that if im not wrong. Or maybe i just dont get it.

Fc5 editor need a campaign of trailers explaining the power of the editor and showing everyone whats possible with a little imagination and creativity.

On fc2 ubisoft were really proud of the editor and they showed off very early the editor. But there pr strategy has changed.

Alpha_sgt_14
10-20-2017, 11:14 AM
For non community members to get involved all ubisoft might need is like what true said, " A campaign of trailers."
There was such a large turnout for the fc2 editor probably because of their marketing campaign. The one for fc4 wasn't as prominent as it was compared to previous games so I believe it might have suffered from that. Well, also the fact the game is void of multiplayer with only the coop option.

Pretty soon they should be releasing videos and info about the editor so the hype train can get started ;)

Alpha_sgt_14
10-20-2017, 01:56 PM
Hopefully we get to see everything that is included in the map editor.

We need to see what objects we have to work with :). I have all these ideas but nothing can be planned until we see at least a glimpse of the editor.

AlexoEx0
10-21-2017, 02:07 AM
"Fc5 editor need a campaign of trailers explaining the power of the editor and showing everyone whats possible with a little imagination and creativity.

On fc2 ubisoft were really proud of the editor and they showed off very early the editor. But there pr strategy has changed."

I think it comes down to it's simply not profitable compared with focusing on additional perks you get with pre-ordering the game for example, or the extra guns, maps and upgrades you get if you want to buy a pre-paid DLC season pass.

Map editor while amazing for the community - paritucuarly those who lust variety in their multiplayer experience (existing of course for people who just want to play single player style missions too) but it doesn't generate the profit that the aforementioned things do and that's why they don't market it like they perhaps did (Don't remember too many ads/videos heavily focusing on the editor part of the game in FC2).

akilyoung
10-23-2017, 02:27 PM
Im not so sure the people (majority kids) snap blocks together in minecraft could handle the ins and outs of the full fledged FC IGE, im sure some will come over at some point, but most of them would find it too difficult imo, and its not a social thing like MC is.

Now weve tried for years to get a coop map making thing added to the ige, but as of yet, it hasnt happened.

AW LOST SOLDIER
10-29-2017, 10:04 AM
Im not so sure the people (majority kids) snap blocks together in minecraft could handle the ins and outs of the full fledged FC IGE, im sure some will come over at some point, but most of them would find it too difficult imo, and its not a social thing like MC is.

Now weve tried for years to get a coop map making thing added to the ige, but as of yet, it hasnt happened.

Plenty of adults play minecraft.

DrShakez
11-07-2017, 07:07 AM
Fc5 editor need a campaign of trailers explaining the power of the editor and showing everyone whats possible with a little imagination and creativity.

I think this is exactly what they need to do. I remember seeing the Far Cry Instincts map editor trailer way back when. I was already interested in the game, but that sold me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WQzYCvAzT0

akilyoung
11-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Plenty of adults play minecraft.

I dont disagree with that, but the majority of MC players are kids. For example, my daughter and all her friends. I tried getting her into the FC IGE,and she figured out a few things, but said it was too hard for her at that age.

I think the MC hype is finally wearing off it seems. And alot of those kids who played that are getting older. There are some of those who will look elsewhere for a creative outlet.

FC is where they will find it...

DapperHayden007
11-08-2017, 12:50 AM
I dont disagree with that, but the majority of MC players are kids. For example, my daughter and all her friends. I tried getting her into the FC IGE,and she figured out a few things, but said it was too hard for her at that age.

I tried the same, but she can't crawl yet, let alone Make a map XD

akilyoung
11-08-2017, 02:32 AM
HAHA!

Dont blink man....Im telling you, he/she will be a teenager then adult before you realize it!

My son is almost 21, my daughter is 15 and thats why we had another daughter, whos now 19 months, because we felt too young to have all these old farts moping around the house! (should say old fart, cause the boy moved out a couple years ago)

When you have kids YOUNG, you are YOUNG still, when they are OLD lol

AW LOST SOLDIER
11-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Imagine Minecraft with Far Cry graphics. That would be an awesome game but nowhere near as quaint.

I think plenty of minecrafters dont even know the far cry map editor exists. threres so much creative talent in minecraft community, we just need to get them into far cry. with my xbox club i want to ride on the wave of a new influx of new mappers. i want to be forward looking.

Steve64b
11-14-2017, 01:31 PM
I think plenty of Far Cry players even don't know Far Cry custom maps exist. People may also think a 'Map Browser' option in the game menu will show all the location maps they collected throughout the game. :)

Steve64b
11-15-2017, 03:02 PM
Imagine there would be DLC-packages. Those packages could be aimed at either the players, the map makers, or both.

There are far more (campaign) players than there are mappers, so from Ubi's point of view, I doubt developing these packages especially for editors would have a return on investment, if the packages were created from scratch. To counter this, it could perhaps make more sense to port some assets from older Dunia-based games like Far Cry 4 / Primal, possibly some from FC3 as well. Models and animations are already accounted for, so they'd only need to port them to the updated Dunia engine, and update their draw distance (& texture).

Then, there are other games that may haven an engine related to the Dunia engine. Watchdogs (Disrupt engine) comes to mind. Perhaps those assets can be ported easily as well.

While editors may already appreciate more building blocks to make more atmospheric and diverse maps, I think the players would need something more. Like bringing in other games' signature weapons, characters, or abilities. Something that adds directly to the gameplay experience.

Alternative to releasing add-on DLC packages like this, would be just simply unlocking them for free when players also have other games unlocked in their uPlay account, or complete specific achievements in them. That could stimulate cross-selling.