PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a new player

Ilcu
10-19-2017, 05:04 PM
So, I decided to finally buy this game and I am wondering for some advice.

First of all how's the player base? I hope it isn't kinda of a dead game..

Balance.. So i read a lot about balance issues and I wonder if the current state of the game is alright.

As a new player how big it's going to be the gap between me and older players, I wonder if I would be able to catch up.

For now these are all the questions I have :D

The_Sentinel_
10-19-2017, 05:27 PM
Welcome to For Honor. One of the best medieval combat games out there at the moment.
The player base is very good, depending on what platform you'd play player numbers will vary.
Matchmaking is still an issue, although not a big one, I would say sometimes it is faily balanced and other times it's not.
If you are a good player and learn the tips quickly you will catch up with the experience players in no time!
Don't worry too much, just play and enjoy the game

gj4063
10-19-2017, 05:43 PM
Try not to let all the disconnects, combat lag, seemingly disconnected animation from the time window tot have to react, get you down. If you can let all that roll of your back you'll have a lot more fun.

Player base is small, but matchmaking does ok trying to keep new players separate from older skilled players.

Athens time dueling bots to learn reaction times for blocking attacks, parrying, and counter guard breaking, as well as your preferred toons combos.

VaynahAxeMurdah
10-19-2017, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't exactly say the playerbase is small, in fact im certain it is big even though all the crap out there say 95% of the playerbase has left the game already. That's just not true.

To be honest there is no "catching up" to do. Two new Lvl 0 prestige players can easily beat a prestige lvl 100 old player. Just learn how to block, parry guardbreak and resist guardbreak and you are good to go.

Small tip: Just minimize the game when looking for a game, it might take some time and the game logo will light up orange when a game has been found.

gj4063
10-19-2017, 08:17 PM
don't be a tool.

compared to many popular games the player base here is relatively low.

When you're dueling and a duel ends and you click 'find new opponent ' and you get the same guy three times in a row, it's a small player base.

When a dominion match goes belly up, kicking everyone, and forcing you to fully exit and restart the game to get matchmaking to work again, and you get three of the same people from that last faulty match in your first match back, it's a small player base.

When rep 0, gear 12, players are matched against rep 21, gear 180, players, it's a small player base.

When platinum players cane find tourny matches, it's a small player base.

The_B0G_
10-19-2017, 08:18 PM
Learn to parry, don't be intimidated by it. Learn to cancel heavies ( feint). Counter guard breaking is another huge one. If you can learn all of that, you can play any class.

UbiJurassic
10-19-2017, 09:09 PM
Welcome to the For Honor forums!

Even though you're new to the game, it shouldn't take too much to bring you up to speed and roaring onto the battlefield. The tutorial and advanced tutorial will teach you the necessities, such as blocking, parrying, guardbreaking, and counter-guardbreaking. For more character specific advice, each hero has a standard and advanced tutorial that will teach you about each move the hero has and even a few instances of how the move can be best used. Even if you don't plan on playing certain heroes, each of those is worth watching, as it will help to understand the in's and outs of the heroes you will have to fight against.

PvAI is a solid place to start playing and also to complete your daily orders. In some cases, you may even find that the bots you fight are harder than actual players. This will better prepare you for fighting against real players in PvP modes.

SoulEavens
10-19-2017, 09:19 PM
Welcome!
I have 2 Tipps for you:
1. Before you go into Multiplayer play through the Single Player Campaign, it is really great for leraning the Basics.
2. Try out every Class in a Mock Duel (No Damage) against a Bot, and play the Class which suits your Playstyle. You might suprise yourself.

Helnekromancer
10-19-2017, 09:31 PM
Don't be afraid to message players for advice and help.

Since your new, if you like a certain Hero you might face off against or with another player who specializes in the Hero your currently interested in. He may kick your butt but instead of being frustrated at the game, take it as a learning experience and ask the player for advice, like:

"What are safe openers on ____?"
"I saw you do this sick combo in the fight can you tell me how you did it?"
"I don't understand how gear works, how do I build ___?"
"I'm having trouble against ___ can you teach me any ways to counter it?"

It took everyone a good amount of time to understand their Hero so don't be afraid to ask for help. :)

Dude_of_Valor
10-20-2017, 09:58 AM
Distance plays a huge part in this game. You don't always have to be in someones face and sometimes moving in and then dodging back can create an opening that you are looking for.

Be wary of your surroundings, avoid be corned into a wall with no room to escape, and watch out even more for ledges or environmental traps.

Watch videos on Youtube once you have picked a hero to learn, as there will be a lot of extra moves and mind games you can play which is outside of the tutorials.

Lastly good luck and have fun!

RatedChaotic
10-20-2017, 02:09 PM
Welcome to For Error, For Disconnect, For Exploit, and For RedNat....Dont worry if you dont understand right away. You'll be initiated in those titles soon.

thornh
10-20-2017, 02:40 PM
PS4 has the biggest player base. That's your best option to find decent matches.

Mirage6201
10-20-2017, 11:16 PM
If youre on Xbox grab your ankles

Fairemont
10-21-2017, 02:38 PM
I think the game is doing okay on PC. The lack of dedicated servers is the thing hurting the most. Balance is a so-so issue in match-making because it literally takes only a fraction of skill over the opposing team to utterly destroy them. Some heroes are inherently a little better than others, but generally not so much that you can't win regardless of who you face if you know what you are doing.

A lot of people will use duel match-making as the example for how large the player base is by saying it sucks because they keep getting matched against the same people. Its less about there being no one to play with but using the "Find new opponent" option doesn't restrict the old opponent from your pool. So, that means there is a very high chance to get matched against them again because they entered the pool again at the exact same time.

This is often also true in team modes. People will leave after a match and often times end up right back in because the game hasn't started and is looking for players. So if you want different opponents you usually have to back out and wait for a moment.

Connectivity is the biggest downside for most. I don't really have problems with it personally, it happens to me so infrequently that its negligible. Sometimes I go days in a row with no issues. Others say its much worse so I suppose it varies.

Hope you get the game and come join us! :)

Halvtand
10-21-2017, 09:58 PM
So, I decided to finally buy this game and I am wondering for some advice.
First of all how's the player base? I hope it isn't kinda of a dead game..
Balance.. So i read a lot about balance issues and I wonder if the current state of the game is alright.
As a new player how big it's going to be the gap between me and older players, I wonder if I would be able to catch up.
For now these are all the questions I have :D
Greetings, neophyte warrior and welcome to the battlefield. Here you will find a pretty decent amount of violent people much like yourself. Not as many as in the big AAA-blockbusters like Battlefield or CoD, but this is a fighting game and those never draw the same amount of players. There are enough of us around to make the game go around.
Balance is always sort of an issue when we're talking about fighting games. I mean, show me one fighting game that does not have a tier list. They are unbalanced by nature and this one still hasn't introduced all available characters yet. There is currently a so-called defensive meta, which means that blocking and parrying (similar to how countering works in other games) potentially can give you a win without really using your character's moveset at all. We've had one public test already where some solutions to this were tested, and I believe more are expected pretty soon. The team is working on it. The crux is that they kind of want defense to be powerful, but also realise that in order to have an exciting game you have to get offensive as well, so it's a fine line to walk on.
Catching up won't be a problem. The fighting system in For Honor is of the model that is easy to learn, hard to master. You'll probably get the basics of attacking and defending before the end of the tutorial, but learning all the moves for all characters as well as all tactics for all maps, that'll take a while. In this game you'll be at a natural disadvantage in gear (gear gives stat modifiers in this game) right at the start, but as soon as you've collected a few pieces of armour and weaponry you'll be pretty much up to speed with the rest of us. The difference in gear scort between lowest and highest isn't as big as between no gear and first gear. Each hero has a basic tutorial video and an advanced tutorial video. I would recommend watching both for any hero you'd want to start learning and then go into some AI-matches to practice the combos. After that I'd say jump into brawl to learn how to fight real people in a smaller scale. Dominion should wait until you feel confident with your hero.
PC is by far the easiest place for a new player as we have a keyboard to type messages with during low points in the game. This means that you can ask more experienced players for advice during the match. Many have the chat turned off though, but once you find someone with it on, you'd be surprised at how friendly some people can be.
If all else fails, I think you can put up a post either here or on reddit to look for people to play with that will sort of ease you into it. Don't forget to have fun, and to mercilessly crush your enemies. Cheers.

Malzeigan
10-22-2017, 04:45 AM
If you play on ps4 i can be your practice dummy

subdude1974
10-23-2017, 03:35 AM
best advice is to take the game back and forget it exists. you will find out soon enough that it is a game that had potential but was destroyed with stupidity. seriously. take it back and run away.