PDA

View Full Version : BoB, Food for thought, fodder for flames...

Bomber_Dude
02-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Way to early to know much about it at this point but a couple things have aroused my curiosity and I'm interested in what others may think.

IL2/IL2FB covers a large period of time, from the German invasion to their defeat, a huge amount of territory and a history that has not been all that well documented. This has allowed a large number of aircraft to be modeled and has only slipped out of context a small amount to accommodate some of the new planes.

BoB on the other hand, if it stays true to its name, will cover a period of time measured in months over a fairly small piece of real estate.

Will BoB stay within context or grow to cover most of the European theater ?

Campaigns if they only covered the BoB time frame, would only last months rather than years and compared to IL2 most of the planes will be pretty docile, no 190's or 109's on steroids. No jets or rocket powered craft. Is the battle itself enough to keep folks interested without expanding ?

Previews of WIP objects seems to indicate a much higher level of detail than currently modeled. Does that mean that the aircraft currently used in IL2 that were also used in BoB will be redone ?

Don't take this post as being negative. I think I have owned most of the Sims made for BoB over the years and will no doubt buy this one too. Not only for the eye candy but to fly some of the more obscure aircraft that weren't modeled in other sims.

What are your thoughts and comments ?

http://www.computech-online.net/~garyb/pix/sig01.jpg

Bomber_Dude
02-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Way to early to know much about it at this point but a couple things have aroused my curiosity and I'm interested in what others may think.

IL2/IL2FB covers a large period of time, from the German invasion to their defeat, a huge amount of territory and a history that has not been all that well documented. This has allowed a large number of aircraft to be modeled and has only slipped out of context a small amount to accommodate some of the new planes.

BoB on the other hand, if it stays true to its name, will cover a period of time measured in months over a fairly small piece of real estate.

Will BoB stay within context or grow to cover most of the European theater ?

Campaigns if they only covered the BoB time frame, would only last months rather than years and compared to IL2 most of the planes will be pretty docile, no 190's or 109's on steroids. No jets or rocket powered craft. Is the battle itself enough to keep folks interested without expanding ?

Previews of WIP objects seems to indicate a much higher level of detail than currently modeled. Does that mean that the aircraft currently used in IL2 that were also used in BoB will be redone ?

Don't take this post as being negative. I think I have owned most of the Sims made for BoB over the years and will no doubt buy this one too. Not only for the eye candy but to fly some of the more obscure aircraft that weren't modeled in other sims.

What are your thoughts and comments ?

http://www.computech-online.net/~garyb/pix/sig01.jpg

Fennec_P
02-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Nothing will be carried from FB to BoB. There is no connection between the two.

I think Oleg said that BoB would be expanded to new theaters via patches and addons, much as FB has been. An expanded Euro theater would be a logical first step. You can imagine everyone will be clamoring for the FW and later model Spits http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

From the dev updates for BoB, you could assume the original release will be specific to the BoB time frame. It would be logical given that there will be fewer flyables than FB. If I had to guess, the mainstay Spit, Hurri, a few versions of 109, and a bomber for each side.
Maybe some more unique planes like Lysander will be flyable, but that is just wishful thinking http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Fennec_P on Wed February 18 2004 at 05:42 PM.]

VW-IceFire
02-18-2004, 07:03 PM
As I understand it....BoB is simply Oleg's new launchoff point with a new game engine that will let him and his team do alot more than with the current FB engine (high alt modeling for instance). So I think that while the IL2 engine was designed for tactical missions more or less...the BoB engine will be designed for everything.

Expanded Europe and Med scenarios would be great additions to the initial BoB scene. I look forward to this however...simply just the Battle of Britain will be immensly entertaining.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig1.jpg
The New IL2 Database is Coming Soon!

Usberet
02-18-2004, 07:28 PM
BOB? Now I know i'm gonna get flamed for this, but what exactly is BOB and could someone fill me in with all the info or direct me to a website?

US_8th_Dosiere
02-18-2004, 07:41 PM
The only roadblock I can see for BoB is the limited planeset. For those of us used to FB and its ridiculous number of flyables, Bob will seem restrictive at first. However, against that we are getting an improved game engine, which is much needed. The game engine for IL2 Sturmovik has about met its end, and it cant be pushed much further.

You may be right in assuming that the BoB is too limited to allow for the longevity that IL2 has experienced. However, I see 1C Maddox doing exactly the same thing with BoB that they did with IL2, which is expand upon the original.

This time they know what they need the engine to do and can build it from the ground up to accomodate any expansions they hace planned for the future. Better terrain, high altitiude modelling, and maybe even carriers (I hope). I just hope the Med is the first place they visit after England.

jeroen-79
02-18-2004, 07:48 PM
BoB = Battle of Britain.