PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions

mistertpitydafo
10-18-2017, 01:42 AM
1) A subscription service to rocksmith or a 59.99 and you can pick out X number of songs. It is amazing and portable but the amount I've put into my XBOX version makes thing dlc confusing, do I buy it for my xbox with the most dlc or the ipad with the fewest songs.
2) Possible to make RS1 and RS14 soundtrack for a price, as they each have approx 50 songs and would go a long way to work as starter packs for your game. Also a subscription to the dlc would be even better as you aren't going to play every song and you can only get so much.
3) Perhaps veterans of rocksmith proven by ubisoft club profile logins, can get a big of a discount on rebuying songs they own. It'd please everyone and you can discount those to where you make a lil money but mainly covers the istore fee they charge you. That'd make you get a max exodus of people knowing hey 99 cents I get my song back, vs 2.99 to 3.99.
4) A lot of these I understand you've had to reprogram for the IOS and convert the chords etc to work on the new os and with the new interface, etc. But they are exactly the same it's just a conversion to the IOS code and all. It's simpler than taking a song and making it have a lead, (maybe alt lead), rhythm, (maybe alt rhythm), bass (I dont think there's any alt bass). So I take it as itunes etc usually want .99 cents a song from a music album, paying 2.99 on xbox for a dlc song is a value. For 2 dollars extra I get Lead, Rhythm, Bass versions to learn to play.

But so far so good. Worked so so with the built in microphone (don't know if I was supposed to use an external on) on accoustic, but when I finally got the lighning to camera 3 plug in, I was able to test with my electric I'm used to and it seemed to be detecting things very well. Rare small bugs, Once it restarted randomly, then the updating trouble. But other than that it is shaping up nice

Ben Sanborn
Bensanborn5@gmail.com

DanAmrich
10-20-2017, 07:06 PM
Hey Ben, thanks. Let me see if I can address some of your ideas.

1) A subscription service to rocksmith or a 59.99 and you can pick out X number of songs. It is amazing and portable but the amount I've put into my XBOX version makes thing dlc confusing, do I buy it for my xbox with the most dlc or the ipad with the fewest songs.

We've discussed subscriptions; still looking into if we could make it work. But the issue of not being able to share DLC between different systems is still a tricky one, since you are doing business not with Ubisoft but with Microsoft and Apple in those cases. When you buy a DLC track on Xbox, you're paying Microsoft through Microsoft's store. Apple isn't going to honor purchases you make to a totally different company. The analogy I like to use is trying to get a refill at Burger King in a McDonald's cup -- they both offer soda, but you're not paying Coke for the Coke, you paid McDonald's. So that's a stranger issue to solve.

2) Possible to make RS1 and RS14 soundtrack for a price, as they each have approx 50 songs and would go a long way to work as starter packs for your game. Also a subscription to the dlc would be even better as you aren't going to play every song and you can only get so much.

The songs that are licensed to come with the game have a specific license for that purpose; we were able to create an additional add-on license for RS1 to let RS2014 users import most of those songs, but that was not something we could offer as general DLC. Check out bit.ly/rsps4xb1faq for instructions on how to import the RS1 disc library into your RS2014 library.

3) Perhaps veterans of rocksmith proven by ubisoft club profile logins, can get a big of a discount on rebuying songs they own. It'd please everyone and you can discount those to where you make a lil money but mainly covers the istore fee they charge you. That'd make you get a max exodus of people knowing hey 99 cents I get my song back, vs 2.99 to 3.99.

Outside of Steam sales, the price of DLC is set to make sure that the cost of the license is recouped, the artist in question gets their fair royalty share, and we can continue to not just cover Ubisoft's costs but also turn a profit so we can keep going. So while it seems you are suggesting we work out a pricing structure that basically just covers platform costs...that's not a feasible business plan at all for the realities of how content creation works. Also, how long someone has played Rocksmith unfortunately does not affect the price we can offer.

4) A lot of these I understand you've had to reprogram for the IOS and convert the chords etc to work on the new os and with the new interface, etc. But they are exactly the same it's just a conversion to the IOS code and all. It's simpler than taking a song and making it have a lead, (maybe alt lead), rhythm, (maybe alt rhythm), bass (I dont think there's any alt bass). So I take it as itunes etc usually want .99 cents a song from a music album, paying 2.99 on xbox for a dlc song is a value. For 2 dollars extra I get Lead, Rhythm, Bass versions to learn to play.

I can't help but bristle at "it's just a conversion to the iOS code and all" here, Ben. I'm not sure what your programming background is, but I think there's a popular myth that if a program exists, there's a simple process that developers use to simply shove that code into a new container -- like a big button, or a giant meat grinder or something. This is absolutely not the case. The iOS edition of Rocksmith was built from the ground up over a serious amount of time, so that it would feel right, work right, and be a true iOS experience. So don't go too far down the assumptive path here -- it's not "save as" like going from Microsoft Word to plain text or something like that. There is a lot more to what we do here than simply shifting file extensions.

Keep in mind too that while Apple sells iTunes singles for 99 cents or 1.29, we are not selling what they sell -- we are selling fully interactive tutorials for each instrument path on each song, created by musical instructors and balanced by hand to be the most efficient learning experience. Ours is not just bolt-on content to what Apple offers; it's its own thing, sold separately for reasons that range from legal licensing to intent and instruction.

I really do appreciate the feedback on the app; it's still being regularly updated, and we're definitely eager to get it out to a global audience. Right now we update about every three weeks with various improvements to the user experience (and of course more music options). Beyond pricing of DLC, is there anything about the functionality of the app that you would like to see?

mistertpitydafo
10-25-2017, 12:03 PM
"We've discussed subscriptions; still looking into if we could make it work. But the issue of not being able to share DLC between different systems is still a tricky one, since you are doing business not with Ubisoft but with Microsoft and Apple in those cases. When you buy a DLC track on Xbox, you're paying Microsoft through Microsoft's store. Apple isn't going to honor purchases you make to a totally different company. The analogy I like to use is trying to get a refill at Burger King in a McDonald's cup -- they both offer soda, but you're not paying Coke for the Coke, you paid McDonald's. So that's a stranger issue to solve."

That's a super way of doing it. Yes I do understand the McDonald's analagy. I just was saying it's a situation you can do nothing about (I'd be willing to pay 60 for the game if it says pick X songs to cover the price and make sure the workers get paid and profit is made.

"Instructions to import library" I did that first thing 9.99 and RS1 disc. That gave us new arrangements too. What I mean by lowered for LOYAL users was like those who have been following since beginning, as soon as I saw RS1 on steam I got that and on xbox, then the 2nd came and I got that on steam and on xbox 360. Then came the exodus to xbox one version with my collection. Then I even bought another copy when the remastered version was on sale on xbox live because I didn't have to mess with the cd. I meant others who have a lot put into their other platform might avoid going to try the portable version just due to there being no tracklist from RS1 or 14 available etc. Even though it's awesome to have a way to portable practice.

"I can't help but bristle at "it's just a conversion to the iOS code and all" here, Ben. I'm not sure what your programming background is, but I think there's a popular myth that if a program exists, there's a simple process that developers use to simply shove that code into a new container -- like a big button, or a giant meat grinder or something. This is absolutely not the case"

I would never assume, i know it's basically backwards engineering in the new code or start fresh I just meant there was a design concept same lessons, etc. So it's kind of like designed for portables and a touch interface. Companies always do the big 3 PC XBOX PS, programming it at the same time with a large team, plus I understand you guys are busting your butts typing code etc.I've just read reviews of people thinking it's a dumb program cuz the songs and other ignorant stuff. Maybe can all the Bachsmith songs on on free to stop their whining and u have a good set of tracks that are open domain. Is your goal to get people to get the ipad version too plus people who have never played. Or more towards never played i.e. a new audience. I understand IOS is entirely different that MS PC and MS XBOX, along with SONY PS. I'm sorry if I insulted you're hard work. I was just speaking from the experience of a person whose spent years learning from rocksmith and absolutely love it and wish things were as simple as IOS uses like a pc emulator/virtual machine to run rocksmith PC. But I assume that'd add some lag. As it is, its a nice program. (If you want to unlock some songs for me to try out and report how they worked just let me know LOL JK, i'd help beta test).

Thanks for your reply,
Hope you didn't take the insult, as I've done programming only basic in college and I didn't enjoy it like I thought I would but I understand there's programming languages C+ is a often used one, but I doubt IOS uses C+
Ben Sanborn

DanAmrich
10-25-2017, 11:12 PM
I meant others who have a lot put into their other platform might avoid going to try the portable version just due to there being no tracklist from RS1 or 14 available etc. Even though it's awesome to have a way to portable practice.

Fair point. The iOS edition has the potential to reach a whole new group of people, though. Think about how many people might want to play guitar but don't consider themselves a gamer -- didn't buy an Xbox or PlayStation, don't know what Steam is, but get most of their personal entertainment from their iPad. That's who we honestly believe will be most interested in the mobile edition (since Steam on a laptop makes the game super portable already). Quite honestly, we're not going to get very far if we just keep trying to sell the same product to the same people on different platforms. :)

But I know you know this because you said as much! :)

Is your goal to get people to get the ipad version too plus people who have never played.

Certainly, right now, being in limited release, it's like we're preaching to the choir a bit. When the app goes global, then we can really start to think about who might be picking it up fresh as opposed to any other option they might have. So yeah, for those folks, this is all new and all that really matters is what they can access on the device they own/like using. Right now we're talking with a lot of RS vets like yourself who naturally compare their experience on iOS to what they know from console/PC. That's also valuable, but some of the business realities come as a surprise sometimes.

I really appreciate the discussion on this. Thanks, Ben.

Gold_Jim
10-27-2017, 01:22 PM
I honestly don't think the McDonald's / Burger King analogy works, because I'm not asking for new soda, just to continue to drink the soda that I have.

The way the users see this is like the problems in early DRM with different mp3 players. I remember when you could listen to certain digital music on Zune, but not your iPod, etc. There was even music that you could only hear on various computers. I get that this is a little different, but I'm referring to how this appears to users.

We can watch Hulu, Netflix, etc; or listen to Spotify on various devices and don't have to pay each device carrier. I can watch Netflix on my smart TV, iOS device, Android device, and PC. I still have to download an app, just like RS and install it, just like RS.

I just don't use this service enough to pay monthly, I prefer the payment method as it is.

Out_of_tune
10-27-2017, 02:28 PM
I honestly don't think the McDonald's / Burger King analogy works, because I'm not asking for new soda, just to continue to drink the soda that I have.

The way the users see this is like the problems in early DRM with different mp3 players. I remember when you could listen to certain digital music on Zune, but not your iPod, etc. There was even music that you could only hear on various computers. I get that this is a little different, but I'm referring to how this appears to users.

We can watch Hulu, Netflix, etc; or listen to Spotify on various devices and don't have to pay each device carrier. I can watch Netflix on my smart TV, iOS device, Android device, and PC. I still have to download an app, just like RS and install it, just like RS.

I just don't use this service enough to pay monthly, I prefer the payment method as it is.

The difference here is that Netflix etc you are buying the service from Netflix. In the case of the RS DLC you are NOT buying the songs from UBI, you are buying the songs from Steam or Microsoft etc. Hence the soft drink analogy. You could look at it this way Both Sears and JC Pennies carry Levi jeans. If you bought yours at Sears would you try to return them to Pennies?

UBI soft is the supplier in this case just like Coke might supply both Burger King and McDonalds.