PDA

View Full Version : Icon Settings

KrasniyYastreb
04-18-2004, 01:23 PM
I like realism in games I host, but I prefer externals, padlock and aircraft icons. I realize that some players(including me) may not be running the game at maximum resolution, and without icons would be at a disatvantage spotting and identifying aircraft. But since the icon parameters are adjustable I was wondering what everyone else thinks are good settings that maximize realism while not putting players with less resolution at a disadvantage.

By the way, I always enforce historic(proper sides) planesets.

Thanks...

KrasniyYastreb
04-18-2004, 01:23 PM
I like realism in games I host, but I prefer externals, padlock and aircraft icons. I realize that some players(including me) may not be running the game at maximum resolution, and without icons would be at a disatvantage spotting and identifying aircraft. But since the icon parameters are adjustable I was wondering what everyone else thinks are good settings that maximize realism while not putting players with less resolution at a disadvantage.

By the way, I always enforce historic(proper sides) planesets.

Thanks...

XyZspineZyX
04-18-2004, 04:57 PM
I feel that icons are altogether necessary.

The graphics system just has too many challenges to overcome in replicating human vision on 15" - 21" monitors.

The "full realism/full difficulty" guys can puff their chests out all they want, but no icon simply models combat with aces that see as well as the few alive today might. Especially on the Normandy and Finland summer maps.

Anyway, here's the icon package I feel best simulates reality:

Foe icons: Type only, 3km range. This stops the "planes disappearing into trees", the inability to ID planes at certain critical angles, and doesn't give range for easy gunnery aid. This also keeps the icons *small*.

Friendly icons: Name (toggleable to type) and range to 3km, and Name only out to 5km. The "extra 2km" simulates training, command control, radio comms, familiarity and other tactical intangibles you might not get if you're just flying with some guy you just met across the internet, but are simulating a squadron flight.

If you use these settings, combat happens that is much more like what eyewitness accounts bear out. Bounces can and will still happen (because people who don't check 6 won't see an icon they're not looking for), you can still break off and escape, you still get the "sky-full-of-planes-suddenly-it's-just-you" phenomenon, and you can better use an altitude advantage.

wotan111
04-19-2004, 05:40 AM
Stiglr,

How do you set those icons for offline play.

I have IL2 manager but it doesnt go into ranges etc nor chose different settings for friend or foe.

Thanks

WUAF_Badsight
04-19-2004, 05:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KrasniyYastreb:

some players may not be running the game at maximum resolution, and without icons would be at a disatvantage spotting and identifying aircraft. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MAX RES ? ...... incorrect ....... you are at a disadvantage at MAX resolution

WUAF_Badsight
04-19-2004, 05:46 AM
mp_dotrange FRIENDLY COLOR 2.0 DOT 15 RANGE 0.01 TYPE 0.1 ID 2.0 NAME 0.01

mp_dotrange FOE COLOR 0.01 DOT 15 RANGE 0.01 TYPE 0.01 ID 0.01 NAME 0.01

WUAF_Badsight
04-19-2004, 05:49 AM
i like no icons as much as i like Icons

FULL icons tho i cant stand

& i remeber telling Stigler that Icons are able to be toggeled in ORR

& HES had the game since the IL2 Demo was out http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Tully__
04-19-2004, 06:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wotan111:
Stiglr,

How do you set those icons for offline play.

I have IL2 manager but it doesnt go into ranges etc nor chose different settings for friend or foe.

Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Offline you need to use the console, which can be accessed by pressing Shift-Tab. Instructions for the icon console commands can be found in this post (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=23110283&m=915100643&r=530103643#530103643)

There's some more information floating around the forum somewhere on how to set up your rcu file to make it automatic.

=================================================

http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/sig.jpg

IL2 Forums Moderator
Forum Terms of Use (http://www.ubi.com/US/Info/TermsOfUse.htm)

Salut
Tully