PDA

View Full Version : Is BETA done?

Mirage6201
10-17-2017, 12:31 AM
Just curious when you will be done with the BETA. A lot of stuff to fix on Xbox before the big roll out. Flash forward. What a pile.

Halvtand
10-17-2017, 04:59 PM
Wow, this beta-joke sure gets funnier and more original every time I hear it. It's so nice to get something constructive like that, you know? Something that sets you aside from the mob.

guor6800
10-17-2017, 08:09 PM
Wow, this beta-joke sure gets funnier and more original every time I hear it. It's so nice to get something constructive like that, you know? Something that sets you aside from the mob.

This is a finished triple A title for you?
9 months since release and still you can't play with a friend without someone getting dced. Get real dude.

DoctorMcBatman
10-17-2017, 08:19 PM
9 months since release and still you can't play with a friend without someone getting dced. Get real dude.

I think we can all agree that the FH network needs to do only one thing: git gud.

Halvtand
10-17-2017, 08:50 PM

I have said none of those things, but it's nice to know that you can carry an entire discussion by yourself and write out your conclusion.

SplugeKing
10-17-2017, 11:28 PM

He speaks the truth. We're dealing with crap that shouldn't exist in 2017 let alone 9 months after the release

pinballwiz315
10-18-2017, 04:19 AM
Playing X1 in Canada and have open Nat and great internet, ever since I got the game it has been pretty awful in the multiplayer department but the past couple days have been something else. It is almost impossible to finish a game and there are several DC's throughout and I'm very lucky if I'm not one of them. the last game I played (like 10 min ago) had 6 DC ending with me... Playing a broken game isn't fun for anyone, fix this sh!t... we payed for a game that actually !@#$ING works :mad::mad::mad:

guor6800
10-18-2017, 09:00 AM
I have said none of those things, but it's nice to know that you can carry an entire discussion by yourself and write out your conclusion.

You dismissed the guy saying that the game is in BETA with full irony on your part.Don't expect a serious answer to that.

Anyway I m gonna ask you one more. This is a polished triple A online multiplayer title for you?

Halvtand
10-18-2017, 11:05 AM
He speaks the truth. We're dealing with crap that shouldn't exist in 2017 let alone 9 months after the release

Perhaps. But look around you. Look at the gaming industry as it is now. While you're at it look at the movie industry and any other entertainment business. They're all full of this kind of thing and it's only getting worse because people keep accepting it. As gamers we had a chance to put a stop to microtransactions in AAA-games with Dead Space 3. We could've spoken out against loot boxes and gambling a long time ago. We could've stopped pre-ordering BS when it started to cut parts of the games out. If gamers as a whole stopped buying incomplete games on launch day it would put pressure on the developers to finish their product before release.

But we don't. We pre-order, buy packs of in-game items and currency and then complain about the incomplete game that we knew was going to be incomplete when we bought it. We all knew this from the start and as consumers it is our responsibility to check that what we buy is what we want. We want this, that is the only message we're sending game developers.

You dismissed the guy saying that the game is in BETA with full irony on your part.Don't expect a serious answer to that.

Anyway I m gonna ask you one more. This is a polished triple A online multiplayer title for you?

I criticized the chosen structure of said message. As you can see it was structured as a joke so according to your own reasoning the OP should not expect a serious answer. Furthermore this particular joke is one we've heard before, thousands of times. It's unoriginal, nonconstructive and doesn't add anything to the discussion. Even the first time it was uttered it was unoriginal and nonconstructive and added nothing. Users and developers doesn't decide when something is beta or not, publishers do. Beta is furthermore not a solid tiered-off system with any type of rule to it. Beta simply means playable. The line between beta and finished product is when the publisher says it's finished. So the "feedback" itself is nonsensical, it's meaningless.

As for your question, your big triumph over one of the ubi-fanboys, eh?
No, this is not what I accept as a finished product from a AAA-developer. But we knew that already. Like I said before, none of us can be surprised that this game was released unfinished. Just look at the gaming industry, look at Ubisofts past, then tell me, were you really, honestly expecting that this new IP that they were experimenting with would be released as a solid, finished product when their flagship IPs are hacked to pieces more and more for each new game?
You're here because you bought a game that you knew was going to be broken in some way, and now you're complaining about it being broken in some way. Cheers to you.
But guess what, so am I. I bought this game as well. The difference between us? I haven't fooled myself into thinking that I deserve anything more than I expected to pay for, and now that I have it I try to make the best of it instead of just sit around and mope about it. It's easy to complain, look at the effort that went into creating this thread. But it's fun to talk about.

RatedChaotic
10-18-2017, 01:55 PM
Playing X1 in Canada and have open Nat and great internet, ever since I got the game it has been pretty awful in the multiplayer department but the past couple days have been something else. It is almost impossible to finish a game and there are several DC's throughout and I'm very lucky if I'm not one of them. the last game I played (like 10 min ago) had 6 DC ending with me... Playing a broken game isn't fun for anyone, fix this sh!t... we payed for a game that actually !@#$ING works :mad::mad::mad:

Same here but since release. Some people love the concept so much they are blinded by it. Fools I say. Ubisoft is using that to their advantage. They have been from the start.

This game takes the record for the most disconnects of 2017. Not even an Indie game thats F2P has kicked me more than For Honor has.

I've been playing Conan Exiles....ya its buggy as hell....but I can still sit and play longer on it without a disconnect and its still in game preview mode.

DoctorMcBatman
10-18-2017, 02:55 PM
Same here but since release. Some people love the concept so much they are blinded by it. Fools I say. Ubisoft is using that to their advantage. They have been from the start.

This game takes the record for the most disconnects of 2017. Not even an Indie game thats F2P has kicked me more than For Honor has.

I've been playing Conan Exiles....ya its buggy as hell....but I can still sit and play longer on it without a disconnect and its still in game preview mode.

This is me. When I first saw FH announced back in 2014 or so, my mouth ****ing dropped. This is the game I've always wanted to play. A combination of Battlefield and CoD with medieval style warriors, that also has an intriguing and fairly unique combat system ("the art of battle" as they call it). It's the perfect formula for hitting on what I personally enjoy. Of course, we know the equation is muddled by minor balance issues, medium level bugs (I've discovered a new ladder bug since last patch, now I sometimes can't climb up a ladder, it's a ****ing joke), and major connection issues.

I've never indulged in microtransactions, and I don't plan to. But yes, I will likely continue playing this game until the servers go offline (well... first they have to go online, still got to get over that hurdle).

Does the game feel a bit beta-like? Yes. Not completely, as there is quite a lot of polish. But, I can see where you are coming from if you argue this product is not release-worthy.

RatedChaotic
10-18-2017, 04:07 PM
Me too Doc....Been waiting for a COD or Battlefield melee style game for ages. I used to play Medieval Total War and wanted a smaller scale where I'm the warrior on the lines. I was so hyped for this game. Like you I still enjoy playing it. But the connection issues this game has keeps me from enjoying the best part of it. I can handle bugs here and there but when progression is being lost because of the connectivity sucks. Thats a big deal to me....

Halvtand
10-18-2017, 04:19 PM
This is me. When I first saw FH announced back in 2014 or so, my mouth ****ing dropped. This is the game I've always wanted to play. A combination of Battlefield and CoD with medieval style warriors, that also has an intriguing and fairly unique combat system ("the art of battle" as they call it). It's the perfect formula for hitting on what I personally enjoy.

Been waiting for a COD or Battlefield melee style game for ages. I used to play Medieval Total War and wanted a smaller scale where I'm the warrior on the lines. I was so hyped for this game. Like you I still enjoy playing it. But the connection issues this game has keeps me from enjoying the best part of it. I can handle bugs here and there but when progression is being lost because of the connectivity sucks. Thats a big deal to me....

I'm curious. apart from the obvious system with feats, what aspects of CoD and battlefield did you see in FH?
Personally i comefrom Mount&Blade and chivalry, so for me this was the logical next step.

DoctorMcBatman
10-18-2017, 04:32 PM
I'm curious. apart from the obvious system with feats, what aspects of CoD and battlefield did you see in FH?
Personally i comefrom Mount&Blade and chivalry, so for me this was the logical next step.

Interactive maps with zone-based point systems is very BF/CoD (Mount & Blade doesn't work like this, if I understand correctly). I wish maps were larger and I think FH should have a Siege mode that is basically BF's rush - I am constantly scratching my head wondering why that doesn't exist. My guess is larger maps = more players, and the failed P2P system they have can't handle more than 4 players.

I see a bit of CoD in the feats and strict classes/archetypes, and the small, concise map-making.

Mount & Blade's combat is far from fluid and engaging, though it may be more realistic. And I suppose the larger map size is also more Battlefield-like than FH is. So I see FH as a blend of CoD and BF.

That being said... Mordhau and Kingdom Come are both on the horizon. Will they be FH-killers? We'll see.

RatedChaotic
10-18-2017, 04:45 PM

Really? Capturing objectives and killing others to win the match. You gotta broaden that mind, man. I thought cool CoD with no firearms and with melee weapons.

TommyMacpherson
10-19-2017, 03:28 AM
To be fair, we shouldn't have to stop pre-ordering our games that we WANT with our hard earned cash, all because we can try and get the developers to bring us a stable product... they should at the very least bring us a stable product to begin with.. And I absolutely agree with this beta 'joke' and the negative title it has.. Because the game doesn't deliver.. And what you get is connectivity issues which some experience more so than others... Or they can't get on long enough to play. To add salt to the wound.. this is 6 or so months down the line... game has been 8 months or so since release.. And the player base has took a dive.. (nearing gone) on some platforms; the connectivity issues are still a prominent issue. This is the very issue the industry has.. it is all about making the money back in as quick of a time as possible, and while the big companies do that. We as the consumer all too often get an unfinished product.. And then rather than focus point blank on the issues that need to be sorted... We get new DLC.. Or micro transactions.. And then there are issues with those... which then takes priority.. PS4 here.. And the only reason I could not get a refund was because the moment I downloaded the game, my refund was void. And they pocket 30 while I am sitting with connection issues; 'matchmaking not found' and to be honest my interest in games as a whole has taken the biggest dive; what I once enjoyed and loved has become very lacklustre: there just isn't enough effort put into games nowadays to warrant the money. I would even go as far as saying creativity (of all things) has gone stale. Variations of the same thing etc. Like the armour in this game.. And the game modes.. game modes in for honor are just very bland in my opinion.

Overall as much as we don't like or want to admit it... Because of whatever reason it is. We get sh*t on from a great height.. And we just accept whatever we get; and yes it is just sad.. especially when we do get the games that blow us away. AAA title? I see indie games and their developers with more imagination nevermind a working/hassle free product... The 'big' guys of the industry need to get their heads out of their asses.

And yes Ubisoft that would be you.. I have honestly in all of my time never had such a unfinished game in all of my days playing (can't think of one right now... genuinely).

guor6800
10-19-2017, 07:08 AM
I criticized the chosen structure of said message. As you can see it was structured as a joke so according to your own reasoning the OP should not expect a serious answer. Furthermore this particular joke is one we've heard before, thousands of times. It's unoriginal, nonconstructive and doesn't add anything to the discussion. Even the first time it was uttered it was unoriginal and nonconstructive and added nothing. Users and developers doesn't decide when something is beta or not, publishers do. Beta is furthermore not a solid tiered-off system with any type of rule to it. Beta simply means playable. The line between beta and finished product is when the publisher says it's finished. So the "feedback" itself is nonsensical, it's meaningless.

As for your question, your big triumph over one of the ubi-fanboys, eh?
No, this is not what I accept as a finished product from a AAA-developer. But we knew that already. Like I said before, none of us can be surprised that this game was released unfinished. Just look at the gaming industry, look at Ubisofts past, then tell me, were you really, honestly expecting that this new IP that they were experimenting with would be released as a solid, finished product when their flagship IPs are hacked to pieces more and more for each new game?
You're here because you bought a game that you knew was going to be broken in some way, and now you're complaining about it being broken in some way. Cheers to you.
But guess what, so am I. I bought this game as well. The difference between us? I haven't fooled myself into thinking that I deserve anything more than I expected to pay for, and now that I have it I try to make the best of it instead of just sit around and mope about it. It's easy to complain, look at the effort that went into creating this thread. But it's fun to talk about.

I didn't expect For Honor to be perfect. Its ubisoft we re talking about. Personally my favorite company to pirate. But i mean cmon a triple A online multiplayer which can't even keep you connected online?

Lets say that i try to be constructive (which i did when i first started) and have a discussion about what should or shouldn't change. What will actually be changed? 9 months after release how many step-forward have we taken? What major issues have been fixed?

-Connectivity
-Balance
-Defense meta
-Matchmaking

Let me guess they will be fixed soon. In the next couple of years probably.Let them get us some more skins with spikes because they did promise us.

There are a number of new games that came out this year. Every single one of them has bugs and glitches but none of them punishes you for trying to play it. Thats my problem with for Honor. One hell of a concept driven to death by incompetent devs and blind fanboys.

SangLong524
10-19-2017, 08:16 AM
Every version is Beta to scrubs :( of course, since scrubs can't measure up, it definitely means the game isn't finished somehow. It takes one unfinished gestated product to know one, it seems.
I don't fancy a complete/finished product, that's impossible and up to everyone's definition of completeness. Not to mention if such perfection exists, then the product is as good as a throwaway. There is no room for improvements.
I'm one of those fools who will be accepting as long as such unreasonableness stays within reasonable boundary, which is my own business, not any of yours. Ubi can dangle the bait as much as they like, I'm not one of the idiots who bite and cry.

Halvtand
10-19-2017, 01:23 PM
To be fair, we shouldn't have to stop pre-ordering our games that we WANT with our hard earned cash, all because we can try and get the developers to bring us a stable product... they should at the very least bring us a stable product to begin with.. And I absolutely agree with this beta 'joke' and the negative title it has.. Because the game doesn't deliver.. And what you get is connectivity issues which some experience more so than others... Or they can't get on long enough to play. To add salt to the wound.. this is 6 or so months down the line... game has been 8 months or so since release.. And the player base has took a dive.. (nearing gone) on some platforms; the connectivity issues are still a prominent issue. This is the very issue the industry has.. it is all about making the money back in as quick of a time as possible, and while the big companies do that. We as the consumer all too often get an unfinished product.. And then rather than focus point blank on the issues that need to be sorted... We get new DLC.. Or micro transactions.. And then there are issues with those... which then takes priority.. PS4 here.. And the only reason I could not get a refund was because the moment I downloaded the game, my refund was void. And they pocket 30 while I am sitting with connection issues; 'matchmaking not found' and to be honest my interest in games as a whole has taken the biggest dive; what I once enjoyed and loved has become very lacklustre: there just isn't enough effort put into games nowadays to warrant the money. I would even go as far as saying creativity (of all things) has gone stale. Variations of the same thing etc. Like the armour in this game.. And the game modes.. game modes in for honor are just very bland in my opinion.
Overall as much as we don't like or want to admit it... Because of whatever reason it is. We get sh*t on from a great height.. And we just accept whatever we get; and yes it is just sad.. especially when we do get the games that blow us away. AAA title? I see indie games and their developers with more imagination nevermind a working/hassle free product... The 'big' guys of the industry need to get their heads out of their asses.
And yes Ubisoft that would be you.. I have honestly in all of my time never had such a unfinished game in all of my days playing (can't think of one right now... genuinely).
I read your first sentence and thought that I’d have to reply with why that kind of mentality is exactly why we’re in this mess to begin with. But you make some very good points in this post and I too find it utterly horrible that we as consumers even have to think about boycotting a product or form of acquirement just to “send a message”. We shouldn’t have to do that, but like you point out the game has been out for about 8 months and is still being patched for basic stuff like unlocking and connectivity. Balancing I can understand. It is a fighting game and those are unbalanced by their nature, I mean, show me a fighting game without a tier list. But also one that introduces new characters every other month. We can’t even begin with the final balancing of the game until all characters have been available and properly tested by players for a while. I have high hopes for the new game mode though. It was pretty fun in testing, so maybe we’ll get something that isn’t so same-y.

I didn't expect For Honor to be perfect. Its ubisoft we re talking about. Personally my favorite company to pirate. But i mean cmon a triple A online multiplayer which can't even keep you connected online?
Lets say that i try to be constructive (which i did when i first started) and have a discussion about what should or shouldn't change. What will actually be changed? 9 months after release how many step-forward have we taken? What major issues have been fixed?
-Connectivity
-Balance
-Defense meta
-Matchmaking
Let me guess they will be fixed soon. In the next couple of years probably.Let them get us some more skins with spikes because they did promise us.
There are a number of new games that came out this year. Every single one of them has bugs and glitches but none of them punishes you for trying to play it. Thats my problem with for Honor. One hell of a concept driven to death by incompetent devs and blind fanboys.
You make some very good points as well, I can tell that you’ve put some thought into this.
Of course no game will be perfect, especially not fighting games. But it is sad to see a game with such potential being driven into the ground. I just took an enthusiastic walk in Paris (AC: Unity) and didn’t even have to spend 20 minutes there to be reminded of why I still haven’t finished that game. Years after release and the game can’t even detect if you’re being targeted by a gunner so you can dodge out of the way.
However, connectivity was getting better (at least according to the forum, personally this hasn’t been an issue), and was only when the devs announced an end to flickering and unlock that a new wave of connection problems started to crop up. My personal theory revolves around some way or limiting your own connection to gain some perk against your enemy due to latency. While I strongly believe that there should be something in the connectivity-structure to combat this, I can’t really bring myself to blame the devs for it. Either something opened up the flood gates and allowed people who normally should not play together (due to bad connections) to get into the same match or someone is intentionally abusing the P2P-system to get points… in a video game… Yeah. Either way I don’t think it is unreasonable to allow the team some time to figure out what has happened and to figure out what to do.
Balance and defensive meta are related in my eyes. I wrote above that fighting games are naturally unbalanced, and this is one that introduces new characters every other month. While the defensive meta has been known for a while and people have been screaming for a fix I don’t think we can even begin to touch the final balance of the game until all characters are out. Add to that bag of joy the fact that some characters are specifically designed to open up defensive players while others are designed to be played defensively. The problem here is that the defensive heroes are not really given and viable offensive techniques, but are now forcibly pushed out of the one thing they can do because there is nothing in the game that actually makes them better at defending (other than a generally higher health pool) than the squishy assassins with the fast and powerful offense. I am looking forward to the defensive meta-patch. Specifically, to see how they manage to keep the defensive heroes relevant, while at the same time opening up the game for a more offensive style. Only after that happens successfully can true balance even begin to be discussed. The paradox is of course that we must continually balance the game up to that point as well, otherwise people will just stop playing the game, or at least all heroes that are not in the top tier.
Can’t say much about matchmaking, I got the image that it was getting a bit better, but then had a first-hand experience of some pretty strange people showing as less killed but very obviously being a lot more skilled than me. I don’t know. The fact that the team doesn’t want the math behind MM to be public is also a bit suspect to me.
As for the game’s potential I can only agree. This game is built on a fantastic concept, the “art of war” is amazing, the game looks beautiful. This could be a real unique addition to the eports-scene which is now oversaturated by RTS, MOBA and FPS. If I’m a fanboy of anything it is what this game could be. Same with Assassin’s Creed, great concept, intriguing meta-story, parkour-powered platforming, simple but effective fighting system… Then it became a cash-cow.
In the end neither I nor anyone else can force the forumites here to stay somewhat civilized and constructive. But what I do know is that posts like “**** you Ubi”, “This is ****” and “Fix this or that” are generally dismissed as being written by angry people, perhaps with bad internet/skills. After all, it’s usually what I do. A wise man once said “If you want people to respect you, don’t give them a choice”. If we keep a level head, write our points well and back them up with evidence and arguments, then it can’t be dismissed like that. It can still be ignored, sure, but if posts like that becomes the norm then it will be a lot harder for trolls to spread their dung around, as people will expect a certain standard.

guor6800
10-20-2017, 09:57 AM
I couldn't agree more with your reasoning mate. Most of it describes exactly my thoughts.

It's just that the devs treated this title so badly that turned a lot of fanboys into haters.I mean there were so much hype about it at first and they failed miserably to deliver. The 90+% of people leaving the game in the first month was a good indicator about that. I know that's the norm around fighting-genre games but even so the devs have been waiting for so long to address the important issues that the game is going to be on ER for a very long time.

The worst part imo is the quit penalty. In my 15 years of gaming i have come to genuinely hate leavers. I understand that you should punish a player for leaving the game. But they introduced this because their p2p architecture just couldn't handle those quitters and broke down. I mean you punish your customer for something that is broken on your end? Decision-making over 9000.

They have been making those kinds mistakes one after another for the last 9 months. And probably the game will stay as it is for season 4. Then if they decide to go into year 2, fingers-crossed, they will finally start to address the real issues and turn For Honor in the e-sports gem that it should be from the turtlefest and spam clusterfack that is now.

But in the end of the day this title as it stands shouldn't cost 60/100euro because it is still in BETA state.