PDA

View Full Version : The Goods Menu!

Grndpndr2012
10-16-2017, 11:20 PM
Please, please, if you bring nothing from 2205, bring the goods menu!

I cannot tell you how convenient it was to pop it open and see exactly where I was producing too much or too little! Ever since ANNO 1602, I've found myself having to check back again and again at warehouses and guess at my production of fish, spices, cloth, etc. It made expanding the population such a pain, especially at the higher levels, because you had to watch your stocks and guess at whether you were producing enough to handle five more merchant houses or not.

The goods menu and the logistics system in 2205 solved that problem. I got in the habit of expanding out my production lines first and monitoring my surplus as I promoted my employees. Sudden shortages from over-shooting the population was rare, instead of the norm. So as a long-standing fan of the Anno series, I only ask that you include a similar option in 1800!

AgmasGold
10-17-2017, 10:21 AM
Personally, I actually disliked the goods menu from Anno 2205, as it was too much like a spreadsheet to just balance: "Oh, that good is below 0, build another one to get it above 0". I just didn't like the feel of that at all. I know it was really useful, but part of me just didn't like using it, still not too sure why.

Mendahor
10-17-2017, 08:52 PM
Having the exact amount of production and consumption displayed in real time fits well with the instant full production that come with Anno 2205 (factory works at full speed only one millisecond after being built, and the goods teleports themselves from the previous factory in the supply chain to this one, and once again from this factory to the houses, even between Moon and Earth). In this concept, displaying the balance between the production and consumption was clearly a good thing, because we don't manage *stocks* of goods, we manage *flows*.

BUT the fact is that the concept itself is different from the previous Anno's, and was kind of rejected by many Annoholics, I do like this concept, but I feel the same as AgmasGold : in 2205 I miss the delay between the moment I build the factory and the moment the first goods come to my people. Why ? Because when it's instant, you lose the feeling bringed by the time taken by the transportation of goods : this delay really helps to realize that we have build a factory that is important for our people, that will have an real impact on what's going on, and that takes an important place in the immersion. I like monitoring how my stocks fluctuate to help me know if something goes wrong after having upgraded houses or built a factory, to be opposed to the "click click click, see -2, click 'n' forget that factory, click click..." feeling in Anno 2205 (witch is not bad, simply different, on another time scale).

They already said they will bring back the transportation of goods in Anno 1800, and I'm not sure this balance fits well with that : the transportation will (re)introduce delay that can't be represented by the flows difference. For exemple, think about your ship transporting the first resource of a whole supply chain destroyed by an opponent/pirate. What should the balance show ? As long as you have the resources in stock and you quickly affect another ship to the transport it will have no impact, but if your stock is not enough, you are still producting the final good until the stock is out.

Another impact is that because of the trading routes within the same map, this balance would be different from island to island, so you can't think about it as a global monitoring system, as we do in 2205.

Given that, may a balance really help the player ? I don't know. If it doesn't, I wouldn't like to complexify the UI for it. If it does, maybe could it be displayed next to the stocks (near or in the place of the red/green arrows indicating the flucuation of the stock in previous Anno)

AgmasGold
10-17-2017, 11:00 PM
The second paragrah really summs up the essence of what I disliked about the Anno 2205 system, I guess I just couldn't put it into words.

Buillermozh
12-21-2017, 06:08 PM
I must say that I fully agree with the OP that we need to know how much production capacity we have compared to what we consume.
In 1404 a production calculaor has been developped so that we can get this info. And many people used it, the need is there.
Yes the 2205 system was unsatisfaying and agree to replies.

But I don't see the contradiction. You should know your global production capacities and consumptions. So that you know that if your logistics are ok, your supply lines defended and give the time to the production to ramp up/reach 100% you have enough. That's my biggest concern with 1404, having to constantly check warehouses content. It's a useless pain which gives a feeling of walking/building in the dark/random for something where we should have clear info.
Humm my fich stock is getting close to 0, should I build 1, 2, 10 more fisheries ?

stylisticsagi
12-22-2017, 07:54 AM
Something i always missed in anno series was the construction of buildings themselfs.
Everything except big monuments is being build instantly.
I think if buildings are being build with blueprints and then carriages bring the goods and construction begins it would by far be more realistic.
p.s. off course it does not have to take as long as monuments, i think around 10-20 after goods delivery would be good.
This could also bring the option you only pay for the building once goods have been delivered so a misclick would cost you nothing if you demolish the blueprint immidiatly and build another one the correct way.

AgmasGold
12-25-2017, 10:12 AM
Adding a little construction animation to every building would be a lot of effort, I think Anno is detailed enough already :), although I understand where you are coming from.

Also for common items and early goods production you could just click/drag things like fish and cider/tea/liquor (1404/2070) onto the goods bar at the top of the screen. Then you can just look at that rather than having to constantly select a warehouse. The goods menu from 2205 was so unsatisfying. It really depends how careful you want to be. Overproduce, get a surplus then fine tune, or fine tune from the offset, or use a calculator to guarantee the correct supply chain ratio. Any of those options would affect how much you end up clicking on a warehouse.

ruuti0
12-26-2017, 07:53 PM
Also for common items and early goods production you could just click/drag things like fish and cider/tea/liquor (1404/2070) onto the goods bar at the top of the screen. Then you can just look at that rather than having to constantly select a warehouse. The goods menu from 2205 was so unsatisfying. It really depends how careful you want to be. Overproduce, get a surplus then fine tune, or fine tune from the offset, or use a calculator to guarantee the correct supply chain ratio. Any of those options would affect how much you end up clicking on a warehouse.

I personally most liked Anno 2070 menu system, it was really clear and gave you practically 99% information that you needed. It was also simple to use.

I think that customization feature can be taken to next level in 1800 and it would be good thing.

There could be more things than good that you could choose to see in your screen like diplomatic status, trading status, status of developing state of each society class (like how much is needed and what is needed for next level on every class, and/or how much you need certain goods to people stay that level), each of your society classes happiness level etc. It would be best if you could choose things you personally want to see all the time on screen. I mean of course same things that you can find in menus too. This would save a lot of time, because you don't have to make so many clicks every time you want to find something from menus. This kind of customizing would be super cool and good thing for game like Anno where you constantly need to look information from menus etc. :cool:

AgmasGold
12-27-2017, 02:01 PM
I am not sure whether you misunderstood me, or if I I'm not quite reading what you wrote above correctly, but the customization I am describing is already in the game :).

NoNamedAssassi
12-28-2017, 08:34 AM
I didnīt like the goods menu from 2205. It made me feel disconnected somehow from the game.

The 1404/2070 version was way better imo. Because i like to monitor my stock levels and see if they go up or down and then act accordingly.

Maybe somehow they could do a version of both, and then you could choose in game settings. And maybe it would have impact on difficulty level?

ruuti0
12-28-2017, 10:20 AM
I am not sure whether you misunderstood me, or if I I'm not quite reading what you wrote above correctly, but the customization I am describing is already in the game :).

Is that customization (what I tried to describe) already in 1800? Is that what you meant?

Or do you mean that it is in some of older versions?

Because I thought you only could customize what goods you see on top left screen, not anything what I talked about.

AgmasGold
12-28-2017, 11:50 AM
Ah yep, my bad, I misread what you wrote. I think they are some great ideas, especially the population happiness one. Diplomatic status is not something I would need to check regularly.