PDA

View Full Version : Blueprints

AgmasGold
10-13-2017, 09:26 PM
Some kind of blueprint system (or at least some form of copy/paste for when you end up building the same layout several times in a row) would be an extremely useful feature to have.
Take the situation below (my current production of Health Foods):

https://i.imgur.com/4wAtwLL.jpg

This could have been made so much more quickly if I could have just built the layout once, then easily duplicated it with a couple of clicks.

I understand it could be time-consuming to implement, as you would need to scan the buildings in the blueprint/clipboard, then check that the user has enough resources in storage to actually place all the buildings, but it would be so useful, and would speed up the building time, and reduce the repetition, when a large volume of production facilities are needed.

The system could potentially be expanded (similar to the system in Factorio) with a list of saveable/exportable blueprints, that the user could just use anytime, in any game. Again, this raises a few more issues, like dealing with situations in which the user attempts to use a blueprint with buildings in it which they have yet to unlock, and it could be time-consuming to fix edge cases.

stylisticsagi
10-14-2017, 07:46 AM
I think late game this could be a thing. However implementing a bleuprint system will reduce the gameplay to almost the same lay out every time you play.
I think when you are bit more slow on resources or cash you are going to optimise even further and with blueprints you are less inclined to do the efforts.
perhaps an easier way to placing the fields (the way you want) is something i could enjoy more.
Personally i never like using the most efficient overlay unless i'm planning to a really really big city and the maps like 2070 provide space enough anyway.

And even more so i hope that importing goods could become better in this anno so low tier cheap goods could be bought at wish instead of having to have entire islands on these early goods for production. We had unlimited sales since 1404 so why not unlimited buys?!

AgmasGold
10-14-2017, 09:51 AM
I can see where you're coming when you say it makes it a little formulaic, but I think if there are several factions and enough complex building chains, I'd hope this feeling would go away.

If you're low on resources or money, then maybe you won't be able to afford a blueprint, but in the lategame, when you can stock up an island straight away with the resources it needs for the chain you want to build, it would be very helpful.

The idea of having a few more options for low tier goods is interesting - being able to purchase them at a sufficient rate to sustain your population - but in practice, its an Anno game. Building the production chains is what people play the game for :).

I think I still might be short on space in the island above, as I still need like 6 more health food chains by the time my Eco's get to Execs :).

Ubi-O5
10-16-2017, 04:23 PM
That is a very cool idea. I remember a few games that let you copy and paste things that were built or planned to be built.

rouxpale
11-14-2017, 02:53 AM
I was going to post something related to that. After playing around with the blueprint in Factorio, I thought man that system would be amazing in Anno !

Olinater
11-15-2017, 11:46 PM
I really like your idea. I've been having the same thoughts when building new production islands. Especially when your building new facilities on a big scale.
I can see how this could reduce gameplay, but as already have been said, you can only do this once you already created a blueprint (and have the sufficient resources). You have to make a custom layout before saving it as a blueprint.
Besides, the blueprints are optional, so you can always choose not to use them. It's just for players who like to use it (like me). The way I see it, it just reduces the time you need for placing buildings you are already going to build in a specific (blueprint) order.

Raydoovah
01-19-2018, 11:21 PM
I think I know how we can improve this.

Make it so that you need to build a "Blueprint item", that would cost time + resources, and that would allow you to save a blueprint for one game.

So say you reached the end game, you have loads of money, so you make blueprints - and then are able to copy paste your building layout as much as you want, in that specific game session.

ruuti0
01-20-2018, 12:32 AM
I think I know how we can improve this.

Make it so that you need to build a "Blueprint item", that would cost time + resources, and that would allow you to save a blueprint for one game.

So say you reached the end game, you have loads of money, so you make blueprints - and then are able to copy paste your building layout as much as you want, in that specific game session.

To be honest that 'blueprint item' sounds senseless/absurd, you either should have bluebrints in game or not.

Items (or items building) shouldn't change gameplay dynamics. What next, item for how fast screen move with cursor or how many ships you can choose same time (there was limit at least in 2070)?
I don't think that Ubisoft should move to area that involve gameplay dynamic changes with building different items.

I don't like blueprint idea, but I understand that some people can find it as advancement.
For me it is taking one skill area of game away.
It takes skill that if you are middle of war for example and you still have to really fast do buildings, you have to really fast think what is best places for each building, bulding add-ods, roads etc. and thinking too long can cause you lose war or misplacing them, because you also have control your battleships same time and if you control your battleships too long it is away from building and controlling your cities and can cause big problems for society.

If you can just blueprint them it just make game too easy.

I think that if we must have blueprints, it at least should be optional in pregame settings

stylisticsagi
01-20-2018, 09:30 AM
It would perhaps be even better if farm placing isn't done by you att all and let people plant their own crops.
the problem with blueprints and superior layouts is that everything rapidly looks the same.
While more modern theme's are accurate in this in the 1800 not everything looked the same...

AgmasGold
01-20-2018, 12:23 PM
The late game is probably when you need blueprints the least, as the good get more finicky to produce and (usually) are more spread out in their production. Its the early/mid game that you would want them more, when you are building 45 tea plantations in a certain layout (for example).

iruet
01-20-2018, 02:30 PM
I disagree, I like to stuggle with the lay-out while building. I want to make things efficient, by placing each building manually... and BTW there are programs which allow you to make an overlay, so you can place on those precise spots...

I personally would not use the blueprints, since for me it will take the fun of the puzzle away... But if u want it, sure go ahead...

ruuti0
01-20-2018, 06:47 PM
I disagree, I like to stuggle with the lay-out while building. I want to make things efficient, by placing each building manually... and BTW there are programs which allow you to make an overlay, so you can place on those precise spots...

I personally would not use the blueprints, since for me it will take the fun of the puzzle away... But if u want it, sure go ahead...

I agree with you.

If blueprint really have to be added to game, it should be optional in pregames settings, not forced on.

If it would be forced on, for example everybody in multiplayer games would be forced to use it (doesn't matter if you wanted or not), so that opponents don't get unfair advantages.

AgmasGold
01-20-2018, 07:39 PM
I can see what you mean, although in most cases I feel getting your production chain built a minute faster than another player won't make a huge difference. I can also attest to not just copying the same design when space is more limited, and yes, you can usually get more out of the space available, but for when you are just copy-pasting a super compact layout on a large island, blueprints would be very useful.

I think having an option to turn them on/off in multiplayer, if they are added, should be an option, because they do give a small advantage. Some people will play peacefully though (assuming co-op MP is a thing), and in those kind of games they may wish to use blueprints.

The thing with blueprints is that it is a very expandable system - depending on how much time is spent developing it. A key example is Factorio - where the blueprint system has been improved on over several years, and is very extensible. I don't think Anno needs a system quite as complete as Factorio, but if it was in the game, saving blue-prints cross save would be nice.

Raydoovah
01-20-2018, 07:39 PM
If you're building 45 Tea plantations - you're in Lategame.

Early/Mid game you don't think about space all that much, but in late game you do. So BluePrints would be great for single session late game scenarios, when you're min maxing and will be building lots of stuff with a lot of regard for layout/space consumed.

Before that, you can do fine without them. And if we had them at the start of the game - it would just ruin the experience, because every game would be identical.

AgmasGold
01-20-2018, 07:48 PM
I've built 33 tea plantations at a time when I was going from Eco Workers to Eco Employees - not lategame at all. It really depends on how you end up expanding a city.

Raydoovah
01-20-2018, 07:54 PM
Okay, for normal people, 33 plantations is lategame :)

ruuti0
01-21-2018, 11:43 AM
I can see what you mean, although in most cases I feel getting your production chain built a minute faster than another player won't make a huge difference. I can also attest to not just copying the same design when space is more limited, and yes, you can usually get more out of the space available, but for when you are just copy-pasting a super compact layout on a large island, blueprints would be very useful.

One minute might not sound a lot, but when there will a lot of similar situations it will multiply.

Also if you play vs skilled opponent who is at your level in game, that kind of advantage is huge in multiplayer games.

Anno multiplayer games vs skilled players is like StarCraft2 (if you ever seen how pro players play it, you know it is super fast clicking all over map) that you have to super fast click different things all over map and in that kind of play if opponent have many minutes advantages to do something faster you have practically lost.

That doesn't apply to lowskilled multiplayer games where it takes players ages to do things right anyway, but in high (and mid) skilled multiplayer games you just can't give opponent that kind of advantage.

AgmasGold
01-21-2018, 03:23 PM
I agree, but the majority of people play Anno without any competition, and for them, 10 minutes of time saved isn't going to matter.

I find it quite funny to imagine Anno in a competitive tournament scene.... (I can't really see it happening).

iruet
01-21-2018, 04:40 PM
I agree, but the majority of people play Anno without any competition, and for them, 10 minutes of time saved isn't going to matter.

I find it quite funny to imagine Anno in a competitive tournament scene.... (I can't really see it happening).

New idea, 1 big PvP tournament event :P

But yeah, I can see why you say that, and I will not say please do not add it. I will say this though: I prolly won't use it...

It can be usefull and some will use it, I just don't like the idea of not having to puzzle with the room u got :)

ruuti0
01-21-2018, 05:59 PM

I don't know any statistics how many Anno players play multiplayer mode, but I do know there are plenty of people who love multiplayer games too in Anno.

Like we agreed earlier that it could be added if it is optional, win win for both groups (those for who want to use it and those who don't)

Yeah I don't see either that competitive tournament scene would be happening: single match can take many hours (impossible to predict how long it can take), it could takes weeks to get one tournament played lol :D

Raydoovah
01-22-2018, 04:50 PM

I think spending 10 minutes doing something tedious and boring is different to spending 10 minutes doing something fun. So the blueprints in the late game would be to help people avoid the boring min maxing rather than make the game better in MP

ruuti0
01-22-2018, 05:30 PM
I think spending 10 minutes doing something tedious and boring is different to spending 10 minutes doing something fun. So the blueprints in the late game would be to help people avoid the boring min maxing rather than make the game better in MP

I can tell you that many (probably most) of us don't find Anno tedious and boring if we don't have blueprints.. We didn't have them before and I still loved all versions and never had tedious or boring moment in Anno.

Raydoovah
01-22-2018, 07:22 PM
I can tell you that many (probably most) of us don't find Anno tedious and boring if we don't have blueprints.. We didn't have them before and I still loved all versions and never had tedious or boring moment in Anno.

I had times when I thought to myself that I could build the perfect farm layout, but the thought of slowly placing every farm stopped me from doing it.

It's not a problem for everyone, but I imagine I am not alone when it comes to wanting blueprints.

iruet
01-26-2018, 08:02 PM
It's not a problem for everyone, but I imagine I am not alone when it comes to wanting blueprints.

U are barely allone on things like this :)

I know agmas wants them too, I can only talk for myself when saying that I am not interested in blueprints atm...

AgmasGold
01-27-2018, 03:44 PM
I will admit that for some play styles, blueprints will probably hardly ever be used, but for people that like to build big (like me), they would be an incredibly useful feature. Also as the maps are going to be bigger, there will hopefully be some bigger islands to use as well, which means more population, even bigger cities, and potentially even more identical production chains that may need to be built.