PDA

View Full Version : Copyright?

Crazybone992
10-11-2017, 09:35 PM
I have noticed some Assassin's Creed "fandub" videos on Youtube where people replace the original voice actors with their own voice. Is it really legal to make videos like this? It would be fun to do one myself since I have done voice acting stuff before. I just don't want to get blamed for copyright infringement.

strigoi1958
10-11-2017, 10:33 PM
Copyright is tricky but there are exceptions like teaching and non commercial use and parody so I guess it might come under parody.... I think it is always best to put in an acknowledgement that you do not own the intellectual property and to put a link to where the game can be bought and that would probably cover yourself. If it caused any problem then I'm sure youtube would just remove it but there are lots of parody videos for games, tv shows and movies already on youtube so I'm guessing you'll be ok. Remember to post a link here.

If you use several cutscenes and game play to make up a story line, Ubi encourages user created media. I like all things especially the funny ones. So let us know when you are done.

When you get a chance it would be nice to read about your voice acting.... did you have to change your voice? did you portray a character and try to make the voice fit the character... old, young, mysterious, naive ?

LoyalACFan
10-11-2017, 10:48 PM
You're good. It does fall under parody, so you're fine from a copyright standpoint.

Crazybone992
10-12-2017, 12:18 AM
I was mainly thinking about doing a voice for Otso Berg. I always wondered how he would sound like if he was voiced by an actual Finnish person. I'm from Finland and unfortunately I have a natural Finnish accent when I try to speak English. It's one of the reasons why I never use voice chat in multiplayer games lol.

Actually one of my voice acting works is already on Youtube but it's entirely in Finnish language and not related to AC.