PDA

View Full Version : MJ2 - Onism

S0GGY.
10-07-2017, 10:36 AM
https://i.imgur.com/Z7HhLa0.png

Onism- as described by the Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows- is the awareness of how little of the world you'll see. Like standing in front of the departures screen at an airport, flickering over with strange place names like other people’s passwords, each representing one more thing you’ll never get to see before you die.

For my entry to the Freedom Map Jam, I created a large post-apocalyptic flooded landscape. I believe that the deconstruction of the systems we partake in and rely on is truly freedom- good or bad.
The map objective is extraction based, but exploration is necessary to achieve it. There's a set of barriers blocking you from the point that require explosives, so it becomes a bit of a scavenger hunt.
While the map takes up the entire space allowed in the FC4 IGE, it's merely a fragment of a larger picture. An ocean world. You are no different than any of the NPCs. Resources are scarce, fights are quick, harrowing, and scattered. Everybody is out to survive, just like you.
I put a good chunk of time into the map, although I had to cut some areas for the sake of framerate. It's already a very resource intensive map, and I wanted to make sure it would still be enjoyable and playable. If the final extraction area seems less expanded on to you, this is why.
The main challenges I faced in the creation of the map is the compatibility with the objects and functions of Far Cry 4. Many of the props aren't physics based, so it's a bit hard to make floating debris and anything slightly submerged- and there's also not much when it comes to underwater wildlife or features. However- I used the assets provided to do the best I could.

Pictures
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/276233358009434114/365980298120265728/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/276233358009434114/366013331300941825/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/276233358009434114/366014337057423361/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/276233358009434114/366015469024444427/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/276233358009434114/366015774818566144/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/276233358009434114/366017535126274048/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/298903316409352202/365503522655043599/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/276233358009434114/366013666367111168/unknown.png

Spoiler: Map with Water Hidden
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/276233358009434114/365980581055692800/unknown.png

Short Narrative

His name was Jake. Or- it might have been, names didn’t mean much when nobody was around to speak them.
Rays of light darted through otherwise unrelenting fog. Dawn had come, another sleepless night. Sleep was a commodity that you could afford only if you trusted the waves- to do so would be lunacy. Jake shifted uneasily on his raft. The recent addition of a locked briefcase added weight, not enough to lower into the water, but enough to make him nervous. Lowering means to drown, to lose himself in the endless chasm of the ocean. Deep salt corrodes all, his body no exception.
Recent scavenges lead to the discovery of a still functioning revolver- which he judged to be rather rare due to the majority of the cities containing arms had been long submerged. It had only one bullet, one he was not sure what to do with. It had no use for hunting nor fishing, and there was not much to life other than that. He peered over the edge of the raft, glancing at his unshaven reflection whilst contemplating whether or not to toss the gun. If it had no use, it was just more weight. The locked briefcase may have a use if he could figure out how to unlock it, but he was ready to dump it if necessary. Let the creatures that lurked the deep find their uses.
Fumbling around in a pile of cans to find his flask, Jake noticed a vague shape take form from the beyond. Cautiously eying it, he grabbed his flask, took a generous gulp of water, and placed some salt under his tongue so that the hunger would hurt less. Shapes weren’t of much concern; generally some stray debris or remnants of the past, but he peered forward nevertheless.
As it drew closer, he started to recognize details; familiar in a way he couldn’t quite place. An animal? No, something else alive.
A human.
Jake never directly assumed he was the only one left, or that seeing another human would be downright impossible- but those thoughts did dance around the corners of his mind. Possibilities, just more possibilities. He considered that this might be a hallucination, a desperate mental grasp for communication, but his value for other people had gone long ago. Just extra weight.
He could fully recognize the shape as a man on a rather beat up boat, as the man began to wave and shout, Jake attempted to recall his own language. Beasts that roamed the drylands never spoke- so he had no need to do so. Days, months, years, he wasn’t sure how long it had been since he had last uttered a word.
“HEY!” the distant man shouted
“HOLY HELL DUDE!”
Jake glanced at the man but made no effort to respond or motion back. His raft drew up against the side of the other’s boat, and they made eye contact.
“I- I… I never thought I’d see anyone again. God damn, look at you! This is real, right? Totally real- it has to be.” the boat man tied a rope to the edge of Jake’s raft and hopped on board, pressing his hands against Jake’s face.
Weight.
“My name- Albert. Al. Just Al is good, sorry, sorry I’ll get my hands off you now but I can’t actually believe this. Or if there was anything to believe- it’s all been one long, empty dream. I never knew if I would wake up. But you, another human! It’s been so lo-” Al paused and looked at Jake’s blank face. “I’m blabbering, I know, I haven’t talked in ages! Even this, this” he pointed at his lips, “Talking! It feels so weird!”
“I…” Jake began, “It has been awhile since I have spoken. My name is Jake, I believe.” Each word felt foreign, invasive and unnecessary.
“Jake, man, this is amazing. It’s unreal. Totally unreal.” Al sat down next to him.
They shared a long moment in silence, before Al spoke again. “Do you remember any of your life before the water?”
Jake attempted to recall anything, a childhood memory, a job, a loved one- nothing came to mind. The only thing he could remember is the day prior and a few stray discoveries. Out in the ocean, everything blurred together. Memory wasn’t important. Survival- weight, was.
“No.” Jake responded.
“I used to be a CEO. Was actually up in a plane when the first waves hit.” Al scoffed, “CEO- that position used to mean something. Now it’s just this- this useless amalgamation of letters.”
“We have no power- the water has what we do not.”
“Our power is living. Succumbing is a concept that never changes.”
Jake didn’t understand this. There was nothing before the water, or anything that had more control. Even if he could remember the past- there would be no comparison.
“We used to take it all for granted. Interacting with people, every day. Society.” Al pressed his palm against his forehead to shield himself against the sun. “We only realize these things once they’re gone. Once everyone we knew was gone.”
“It’s all taken from you. In an instant. You never get that back.”
Jake rubbed his thumb against the cold metal of the revolver.
“Jake. I wonder- are we more alone than the dead?” Al asked, staring down into the deep.
Jake wrapped his index finger around the trigger, aimed it at Al’s head- and pushed.
With a deafening bang, Al’s body slumped forward, off the raft and into the water. Jake cut the connecting rope, and tossed the gun into the distance.
There was too much weight.

Features
- 4 main explorable areas - The Campsite / The Town / The Amusement Park / The City
- Another big map. Real gigantic. Rather detailed if I do say so myself.
- Co-op.Suffer with friends!
- Tight resource management. Don't expect to have more than a single magazine at a time.
- Custom buildings. Lotta those.
- Unique environment! Haven't really seen too many flooded maps.
- Water
- Just a lot of water.

Restylex.
10-07-2017, 10:42 AM
what platform ? PC, xbone or PS4 ? ;)

S0GGY.
10-07-2017, 06:14 PM
what platform ? PC, xbone or PS4 ? ;)

Right, forgot to clarify. PC.

Ubi-Salvenius
10-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Hey S0GGY.

Just to double check, has the map been published yet? Was looking for it yesterday but can't seem to find it :(

S0GGY.
10-10-2017, 03:37 PM
Hey S0GGY.

Just to double check, has the map been published yet? Was looking for it yesterday but can't seem to find it :(

Last time I was at my pc I believe I published it, got the little popup notification with the Published! message. Should I attempt to publish it again? Maybe something went wrong.

Fallen-Champ
10-10-2017, 04:17 PM
Should I attempt to publish it again? Maybe something went wrong.
Sorry buddy it's not showing for me, sorting the MJ2 maps in order from latest published this is what I get on PC.
https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t35.0-12/22449256_2078971455665828_226465707_o.png?oh=bbc9b fff6570422076bf48c1082232b7&oe=59DEBF76

Janne252
10-10-2017, 04:36 PM
Last time I was at my pc I believe I published it, got the little popup notification with the Published! message. Should I attempt to publish it again? Maybe something went wrong.

I had to publish mine twice as well, the first one succeeded (according to the map editor anyway) but the map never showed up.
I tried again about an hour later and it worked immediately.

AKAFootloose
10-10-2017, 04:55 PM

Point of information... It won't publish from the Editor unless you opened the Editor from the "game menu". If you opened the editor from Uplay... it won't publish, even though it said it worked. I always go to the "game menu", select Map Editor\All My Maps\name of map... then select Publish... do not open in the Editor. After you publish, it is a good idea to go to the Map Browser, select "Your Published Maps" to make sure it's there. Also it is a good idea to test the published version to make sure it works correctly. It doesn't always play the same in-game as it does in the editor.

S0GGY.
10-11-2017, 02:26 AM
Thank you for the help everyone, I appreciate it. Went ahead and got the map published (for real) this time.

Alpha_sgt_14
10-12-2017, 11:59 PM
S0GGY, great job on this map man :)
I played through it yesterday night with slimreaper and we had a lot of fun. A bit hard but it was fun. I like the use of water transportation in this map to him into the delaoptated buildings and other structures. We had quite limited supplies but I think it helped out with the feel of this Map. It was like an apocalyptic scavenging run into a water filled world of sorts. Haha, that eagle fudged me up in the beginning tho man.

Really nice custom work here too. The house make out of those bar signs in the beginning was really well made. I was kind of sad that there wasn't really anything in the for me to scavenge tho :(. That's okay tho man! Overall amazing job. You need to make more and I'll be sure to look out for your future maps man ;)

S0GGY.
10-13-2017, 12:54 AM
S0GGY, great job on this map man :)
I played through it yesterday night with slimreaper and we had a lot of fun. A bit hard but it was fun. I like the use of water transportation in this map to him into the delaoptated buildings and other structures. We had quite limited supplies but I think it helped out with the feel of this Map. It was like an apocalyptic scavenging run into a water filled world of sorts. Haha, that eagle fudged me up in the beginning tho man.
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, limited supplies was one of the things I was goin' for. Far Cry 4 in it's base form puts you into full on rambo mode quite quickly, so I wanted to push away from that and attempt to make the gameplay a polar opposite. Everybody is on the same boat, (no pun intended, ok- sorta pun intended) resources wise, so you feel part of the world rather than this badass who just streamrolls everything.

Really nice custom work here too. The house make out of those bar signs in the beginning was really well made. I was kind of sad that there wasn't really anything in the for me to scavenge tho :(. That's okay tho man! Overall amazing job. You need to make more and I'll be sure to look out for your future maps man ;)
I had a fun time making the custom buildings- I was somewhat limited by all the big occlusion blocks that the majority of building resources had, but I made do.
It's also tough for me to balance out limited resources when so many of the ammunition and pickup items give you so much in one go. A feature to select how much ammunition you get from piles in the next editor would be fantastic.

But i'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm certain that i'll be diving headfirst into the new map editor once it comes out, and I hope to see you doin' so as well. That Sanctuary map looks really visually appealing.

Alpha_sgt_14
10-13-2017, 02:24 PM
Thanks man :)
You can bet I'll be in the editor tho. I have been checking the forums for any news. Tho we don't know much at all I have faith that the devs will do it justice :).

TheSlimReeper
10-13-2017, 11:38 PM
Yea man, cool map, had a good time exploring. I think the main problem with the map though and why it did not do well sadly, is how hard you have it. You start off with a bow and one arrow. Also, how hard it is to find other things. I actually really like that, but it should have probably been slightly turned down, or at least given you a little more at the beginning. Other wise, enjoyed it.

S0GGY.
10-14-2017, 03:27 AM
Yea man, cool map, had a good time exploring. I think the main problem with the map though and why it did not do well sadly, is how hard you have it. You start off with a bow and one arrow. Also, how hard it is to find other things. I actually really like that, but it should have probably been slightly turned down, or at least given you a little more at the beginning. Other wise, enjoyed it.

Yeah, it's hard to balance out creating a sense of scarcity while still providing reasons to explore n' keeping the difficulty not entirely extreme.
I believe that the limited resources gave the player a different approach to each dangerous encounter as opposed to what usually happens in Far Cry 4. There's not really the ability to go and attack everything, you have to consider the options and the risks. Sometimes it's better to just run or hide.
Generally my larger maps don't do well because they take dedication and learning to go through- I opted for immersion and narrative over quick action-packed gameplay. I understand how the majority of players would much rather run through a fast fun level, though. I'm glad you enjoyed it