PDA

View Full Version : I might actually be done with this game for a while... not because it's bad.

Mighty_Mackerel
09-30-2017, 09:24 PM
I just simply do not have the time or patience anymore to deal with high level Berserkers, Shinobis and Gladiators. To everyone else who can wreck those characters, I salute you, but I can't spend time getting that good. (For some reason I can do fine against high level Peacekeepers, go figure)

And don't say it's not that hard, maybe it isn't for a lot of you, but for me it is. There are plenty of people out there who just aren't as inclined or talented to get as skilled as you have to be to deal with these super fast agile characters. I wish I could be, I really do.

But alas... Ubisoft, it was a fantastic idea and I had loads of fun, but I have to put this game down now. I don't know for how long. But thanks for the experience!

(I play on PS4 by the way, so I might be considered a casual gamer if that's how it's defined, lol)

gj4063
09-30-2017, 09:34 PM
Being unable to deal with a class or two, or otherwise unwilling to deal with those classes is probably the worst reason to quit. If it's a rock-paper-scissors scenario, or 2v1, etc, take your lumps, respawn, have fun.

Good reasons to quit include the p2p netcode, out of sync animation not meshing with the time alloted to react, unfixed exploits, etc.

Mighty_Mackerel
09-30-2017, 09:43 PM
Being unable to deal with a class or two, or otherwise unwilling to deal with those classes is probably the worst reason to quit. If it's a rock-paper-scissors scenario, or 2v1, etc, take your lumps, respawn, have fun.

Good reasons to quit include the p2p netcode, out of sync animation not meshing with the time alloted to react, unfixed exploits, etc.

I'm being put up against those classes all the time now though because a lot of high level players pick that "class or two, and I'm not quitting simply just because I'm "unwilling to deal with those classes" per se... I'm unwilling because I literally don't have time to play this game to get super good, and even if I did have the time I wouldn't use it to play this game because honestly I'm more interested in other things, lol. Like I said, I think I'm considered to be a casual, but maybe a little less than most.

Tundra 793
09-30-2017, 09:46 PM
I think a lot of For Honor players have a class or two, that they for some reason cannot beat consistently.

Despite Kensei having been considered one of the worst classes for months now, they've always been the bane of my existence. I've gotten better at countering them since I switched from Berserker to Highlander, but they can still wreck me.

but I can't spend time getting that good.

Good is a relative term. I'd argue that you just need to understand the core of the classes that trouble you better, than work at a perceived lack of "skill".
Berserker for example, have no unique properties you need to watch out for. All they can do is guardbreaks, and throw a combination of light and heavy attacks your way. They have no unblockables, so you could theoretically beat them just by blocking and counter guard breaking.

I don't think you should quit For Honor because some classes bother you. Instead, ask for help on how to counter them better, because nothing's impossible.

Mighty_Mackerel
09-30-2017, 10:06 PM
I think a lot of For Honor players have a class or two, that they for some reason cannot beat consistently.

Despite Kensei having been considered one of the worst classes for months now, they've always been the bane of my existence. I've gotten better at countering them since I switched from Berserker to Highlander, but they can still wreck me.

Good is a relative term. I'd argue that you just need to understand the core of the classes that trouble you better, than work at a perceived lack of "skill".
Berserker for example, have no unique properties you need to watch out for. All they can do is guardbreaks, and throw a combination of light and heavy attacks your way. They have no unblockables, so you could theoretically beat them just by blocking and counter guard breaking.

I don't think you should quit For Honor because some classes bother you. Instead, ask for help on how to counter them better, because nothing's impossible.

I'll get a little more specific then; Reflexes. The Berserker, Shinobi and Gladiator are very fast, so naturally we need good reflexes to fight them. I've found that even when I turtle, I often find myself unable to defend myself, therefore I've concluded that my reflexes are terrible. To get the reflexes to consistently defend against lightning fast attacks like those characters have, you have to play more and get "good." I guess that's more of what I meant, and like I said, I can't play this game enough to get better.

Tundra 793
09-30-2017, 10:22 PM
I'll get a little more specific then; Reflexes. The Berserker, Shinobi and Gladiator are very fast, so naturally we need good reflexes to fight them. I've found that even when I turtle, I often find myself unable to defend myself, therefore I've concluded that my reflexes are terrible. To get the reflexes to consistently defend against lightning fast attacks like those characters have, you have to play more and get "good." I guess that's more of what I meant, and like I said, I can't play this game enough to get better.

Well, sorry to hear you won't have the time, I'd love to help you out, but I'm on Xbox.

If you ever try it again though here's a tip; Trade blows. You don't need good reflexes if you can just hit harder than them. Warlord, Shugoki, Kensei are some options.

Mighty_Mackerel
09-30-2017, 10:47 PM
Well, sorry to hear you won't have the time, I'd love to help you out, but I'm on Xbox.

If you ever try it again though here's a tip; Trade blows. You don't need good reflexes if you can just hit harder than them. Warlord, Shugoki, Kensei are some options.

Thank you my friend!

Good tip as well!

Jazz117Volkov
09-30-2017, 10:48 PM
My bane is Shinobi. I just can't deal with the constant running away. And they can close distance and hit me twice during light recovery. It's like I have to turtle, but I hate turtling, so idk...I'll figure it out one day.

Berserkers aren't bad though. Most will try for the side-step light, so just feint + parry. GG. If they're a feint-master zerker, just maintain a bit of distance; they've got no reach. The problem with zerker is the unholy amount of damage they can do if you take them lightly. Good zerkers know how to use their hyper armour, so never try to trade with them, you'll lose.

Mighty_Mackerel
09-30-2017, 10:55 PM
My bane is Shinobi. I just can't deal with the constant running away. And they can close distance and hit me twice during light recovery. It's like I have to turtle, but I hate turtling, so idk...I'll figure it out one day.

Berserkers aren't bad though. Most will try for the side-step light, so just feint + parry. GG. If they're a feint-master zerker, just maintain a bit of distance; they've got no reach. The problem with zerker is the unholy amount of damage they can do if you take them lightly. Good zerkers know how to use their hyper armour, so never try to trade with them, you'll lose.

I know right!? Ugh.

Tundra 793
09-30-2017, 11:05 PM
Thank you my friend!

Good tip as well!

Happy to be of help.

I know right!? Ugh.

2 words; Bear. Trap.

SwellChemosabe
09-30-2017, 11:21 PM
Berserker main here with these helpful tips to help you succeed, if not at least survive, any encounter.

First and foremost, you should never trade blows with a berserker.

We only need the first two hits until our infinite chain becomes uninterruptible, at which point the only way to stop us is by blocking two hits in that chain consecutively.

our top heavy is our biggest problem solver. Not only does it do the most damage out of anything else in our move-set, but it can also be feinted at any time. Even though it is relatively easy to parry, as it is a slow and highly telegraphed move, the average berserker will only follow through if the opponent is staggered. Veteran zerkers, however, will feint this for another form of attack whether it be a guard break, a light, a side-step light, or another heavy.

that and, as mentioned before, our hyper armor will generally allow us to ignore most damage you deal out in the middle of the majority of our attacks.

Watch out for the bait and switch (as i like to call it). This is a tactic i use regularly and it works about 75-80% of the time. It starts by throwing out a light attack intentionally out of range, this baits the opponent to open up with an attack of their choosing, at which point i'll immediately transition into a top heavy finisher giving me a free hit with significant damage.

one thing people seem to forget on a regular basis is the assassin's ability to deflect and the Berserkers is among the most devastating. Our deflect gives us an automatic guard break, which cannot be countered, and from that point we can take control of the fight even if it is only momentary. God help you if this happens anywhere near a wall or ledge/wallspikes, fire, etc.

Our zone attack is a high risk low reward move because it can be parried. However, what many players don't know, or simply forget, is that our zone attack can transition into another chain. Upon completion of the zone attack it can be followed by a light attack (i'v seen very few zerkers, and have rarely done this myself, gone from a zone attack into infinite chain, as the ZA consumes a significant amount of our stamina).

I would argue that zerker is one of the harder heroes to turtle against do to the fact that our light attacks are fast, and our guard stance switch can be very hard to follow. All i have to do is wave my axes around a few times, observe where your guard stance isn't, and then in the middle of my little mating dance throw the light attack. The frustrating, and very useful, aspect of this is that it can be done over and over again until you're dead or can better anticipate and successfully block each light attack.

finally, never try to run away. You can't outrun a berserker unless you're any other assassin (i've tested this, he is literally the slowest assassin of them all when it comes to a straight race from one side of the map to the other) and if he catches up to you he has a sprint attack that actually maintains the spead and will track you unless you can dodge it (most people don't for some reason). this isn't even including his lvl 3 and 4 feats, which actually give him a slight speed buff, so even if you do dodge he will still hit you.

I hope this helps and i'm sorry you've been having some difficulty with these classes. I could only really recommend playing as the ones you have trouble facing off against to better learn their move-set and abilities. Hopefully you're not gone too long, the game is improving and i have a feeling things are going to get real interesting in season 4 :)

UbiJurassic
10-01-2017, 12:08 AM
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with those classes, Mackerel. It does take a significant amount of time to learn the in's and out's of each class, but it's understandable that some people don't have that sort of time.

However, it's nice to see players coming together to offer advice to you on how to deal with certain classes. You all warm my heart.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/26gslmOUHAyAURVGo/giphy.gif

Berserker and Kensei are my two. I've gotten a bit better with dealing with Kensei, but Berserker constantly gives me problems.

mrmistark
10-01-2017, 05:19 AM
My down fall are HL specifically because their range and uninteruptable. I find myself struggling hard to stay in attack range against them which means as soon as I move in it seems an uninteruptable heavy is about to hit me mid movement. Parrying usually nets nothing as he has a lot of range too, but I find is the only way I can even get close to him. My other one is cent specifically because his UB charged heavy that can fly at any notice which makes it hard for me. It helped for a while telling myself "just calm down and be patient" and I'd get the parry most of the time waiting till just before it hit, but now it seems something has changed and it has become too late if I wait that long (I know this sounds absolutely rediculous, perhaps just lag? But it has been tripping me up lately) and once I finally get the parry down (takes like 2 times when I start playing for the day) they feint it over and over into a GB, which using a controller, cgb at the right time when transitioning your guard just in case with your thumb on the right stick makes it VERY hard to hit the button in time. Console player problems.

Anyways though: all of this to say, yes it may be tough and frustrating when playing against our kryptonite characters, but the more you learn and play, and the more you practice the better you'll get.

The greatest advice anyone ever gave me was to learn inside and out each character, and main them all for a while. I'm almost rep 1 with every character, only missing conq (no one really plays him anymore), peacekeeper, cent (lv 15) raider (lv 16) orochi, and shinobi. In case you couldn't tell, not a fan of playing most assassins. Anyways though, each character I've watch multiple extensive advanced guides and their fient games, mix ups, the whole 9 yards. Learning them was a pain in the ***. Getting good or at least decent enough to satisfaction was even more difficult and a pain, but after I dedicated some SERIOUS time learning each hero it was a night and day transition. I knew only sort of what to expect against most of the roster, but afterwords each character became rather predictable to me. You should try it, seriously.