PDA

View Full Version : highlander vs longer range characters

WHEREISDAUBENY
09-29-2017, 07:04 PM
So i recently started playing highlander and realized something, if he fights for example nobushi, he gets litterally nothing of a parry, his guardbreak range is to short, his light is to short, and his heavy is to slow, how the hell did they make such a misstake?

SenBotsu893
09-29-2017, 08:12 PM
not a mistake. and not Highlander exvlusive. some characters with polearms have the advantage of beeing out of range if certain attacks get parried.

Halvtand
09-29-2017, 09:30 PM
Same thing with some Lawbreaker and even Shugoki attacks. Sometimes they're just too far away and gets a free GB when you try to do one right after a parry. It stinks, but that's the game.

SwellChemosabe
09-29-2017, 11:23 PM
Why in all the holds of Valkenheim would you ever try to guard break a Nobushi after a parry? and with a Highlander?

try using that stagger time to close the gap instead and then use an Offensive/Defensive stance mixup instead. Or just use counter attack in any direction she attacks from, that'll close the distance for you.

WHEREISDAUBENY
09-30-2017, 12:00 AM
because thats the only punish he has after a parry pretty much and any decent player will gb you if you try to dash in and do a combo, or just light attack you and dodge

WHEREISDAUBENY
09-30-2017, 12:01 AM
not really, i dont know any other character that does not get any kind of reward for parrying

UbiNoty
09-30-2017, 12:20 AM
All heroes will have their own strengths and weaknesses, and different advantages/disadvantages against certain matchups. With Nobushi, she needs to keep her distance and she's kind of squishy - so if you can get her out of stamina, or find even one or two openings to get within her defense, then there's very little she can do.

SwellChemosabe
09-30-2017, 12:21 AM
because thats the only punish he has after a parry pretty much and any decent player will gb you if you try to dash in and do a combo, or just light attack you and dodge

The only possible reward you have if you land a guard break after a parry, specifically with the Highlander, is either an opportunity to ledge (if the circumstance allows for it) or to get a quick light attack. Why not instead use celtic curse to quickly close the gap, hold into offensive stance, use offensive stance lights, cancel into defensive stance and then proceed onto next phase of *** whooping?

better yet, just dodge in close enough to start throwing out feints, heavies and various mix ups. You don't even have to rely on the celtic curse that much to get the end result.

the heavy attack for highlander is too slow if you don't wall splat any opponent. Nobushi's advantage is in her range and if you take that range out of the equation she's left with very few options.

WHEREISDAUBENY
09-30-2017, 10:49 AM
funny you say that, because from my knowledge highlander have 5 more hp than peacekeeper, and peacekeeper has the same healthpool as nobushi

SwellChemosabe
09-30-2017, 11:53 AM
funny you say that, because from my knowledge highlander have 5 more hp than peacekeeper, and peacekeeper has the same healthpool as nobushi

I fail to see how health pool and the peacekeeper relate to a conversation on guard breaks and and parrying but ok.

WHEREISDAUBENY
10-01-2017, 12:52 AM
i said pk as a example as nobushi has the same amount of health as a nobushi and 5 less than highlander, way faster, does more dmg with heavies, the same as nobushi

Ianoneshot
10-01-2017, 01:09 AM
All heroes will have their own strengths and weaknesses, and different advantages/disadvantages against certain matchups. With Nobushi, she needs to keep her distance and she's kind of squishy - so if you can get her out of stamina, or find even one or two openings to get within her defense, then there's very little she can do.

In real war, someone can just grab the wooden part of the spear and your doomed. This is basically the same thing!

mrmistark
10-01-2017, 02:03 AM
*cough cough* excuse me....but WHY would you even try to parry with HL? Like ever...? There is a reason he has superior light attack for 30 damage that also flows into OS my man! It's not like you get a heavy off of a gb anyways so why bother with the crap damage of a light? Jesus, for your sake please use it people and quit complaining that his parry punish sucks. He has uninteruptable heavies, a ton of mix ups in OS, and CC on all sides. If you're going to complain about anything ask for slightly stronger heavy attacks and less stamina cost in OS.

mrmistark
10-01-2017, 02:11 AM
Forgive me, I take that back. The only time to parry is when they throw out an unblockable, and I only say this (a light interrupts almost all UB attacks perfectly fine which results in same damage ultimately) because it will drain their stamina, or if your parry will put them, or they already are, OOS, which will result in a free heavy. Regardless though it's an utter waste of time in all other cases.

SwellChemosabe
10-01-2017, 03:06 AM
*cough cough* excuse me....but WHY would you even try to parry with HL? Like ever...? There is a reason he has superior light attack for 30 damage that also flows into OS my man!

If you're referring to his counter attack on all sides i think it's because most people are already more comfortable with parry, as previously the only other character that could counter attack was warden, and only on the top guard. The counter attack is much more useful but the original question is more in regards to how characters like nobushi, that rely a good deal on range ( or at least have that as an advantage) can't be guard broken immediately after a parry with most heroes if the parry is performed at a certain distance.

SwellChemosabe
10-01-2017, 03:12 AM
i said pk as a example as nobushi has the same amount of health as a nobushi and 5 less than highlander, way faster, does more dmg with heavies, the same as nobushi

Again, i'm struggling to see the connection.

what you're saying is that peacekeeper has the same amount of health as nobushi, which is also 5 less than highlander and has faster, harder hitting attacks.

but your question is in regards as to why nobushi can't be guard broken in most scenarios when parried.

Maybe i'm reading it wrong or not entirely understanding your overall point in those two points, so if there is a point could you try rewording it?

My main point is that any hero similar to nobushi can't be guard broken if you parry their attack from a certain distance. That and Highlander already is a bit handicapped when it comes to parry into guardbreak. So it would simply be easier to, instead of guard breaking, follow up the parry with another attack in an attempt to close the gap between you and your opponent and then use the various OS/DS attacks to your advantage in closer quarters.

mrmistark
10-01-2017, 04:33 AM
If you're referring to his counter attack on all sides i think it's because most people are already more comfortable with parry, as previously the only other character that could counter attack was warden, and only on the top guard. The counter attack is much more useful but the original question is more in regards to how characters like nobushi, that rely a good deal on range ( or at least have that as an advantage) can't be guard broken immediately after a parry with most heroes if the parry is performed at a certain distance.

I get that. Most range characters CANT be Gb after a parry, and in a lot of cases I exploit this and allow the opponent to wiff a GB when playing characters such as law, valk and HL, giving me a free one in return. It's always been that way and it's honestly perfectly fine. The point I'm making is that you shouldn't BE parrying in the first place except for the few exceptions I posted previously. If you can't use your superior light property as a HL and thus rely on parrying then you have to understand that you NEED to improve. I'm not saying you aren't good if you don't use superior lights but you severely are handicapping yourself, and the range that you can't GB after a parry doesn't matter as you get that guaranteed 30 damage if you counter it as was intended.

WHEREISDAUBENY
10-01-2017, 10:53 PM
actually, his superious light cant be used on reaction, as the counter starts at 100 mili seconds, so its physically impossible to switch guard and use the counter before getting hit, test it yourself, you need to have your stance in in the same stance as they when they attack

mrmistark
10-02-2017, 02:40 AM
actually, his superious light cant be used on reaction, as the counter starts at 100 mili seconds, so its physically impossible to switch guard and use the counter before getting hit, test it yourself, you need to have your stance in in the same stance as they when they attack

Perhaps not light spam, but heavies are definitely manageable and most people except literally honestly berserkers, glad...I was going to say kensei but I've maimed kensei too long, but I'll give nobushi some credit too. Other than those 3 the rest are relatively predictable and lights are still themselves are reactable. Maybe not with a thrown in guard change, but thats only when your guard isn't the same as the opponents which honestly should only be if you're throwing an attack or if they have a big feint game going on, other than that CC honestly is not that hard.