PDA

View Full Version : Someone broke the multiplayer AKA the rise of the disconnect.

Halvtand
09-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Logged in this morning for a few matches before the day started. I noticed something, the whole enemy team was red nat. This is in itself not that big of a deal, if they are all friends, playing together it's logical that they might have the same type of internet. The game went horribly. Lag issues meant that effects like unbalanced and stagger didn't work properly. Guaranteed hits got parried and the enemy kept hitting through block... Not entirely unplayable, but damn close.

Three matches later, different gang each time. People on both sides are either red nat or the red disconnect symbol. In fact, as I am playing more matches and writing this in the downtime. Most are the red disconnect symbol. This is the first time I've seen that one in the game, and suddenly multiple people with that symbol, in the same game, several games in a row... coincidence?
Add to that that many of these games crash right at the start. For each of the three games i got to play there were at least three that crashed at the start.
This doesn't happen to me. I've played since the first alpha and even when the forum was flooded with threads about frequent crashes and DC's I rarely experienced this. On a normal day out of ten matches I get to play around seven, two disconnect before or shortly after the start (easyanticheat or something like that) and one doesn't even go to lobby (DC'd because full or something). In short, I've had more crashes and DC's this morning than I usually see in a week. Never, in the whole history of this game, have I experienced more DC's than played games. But today I have.

Now, this is itself doesn't mean much. A few people with bad connections, all playing at the same time, what's the big deal?
The deal is that they all knew what effect it had in the game. They started to position themselves weirdly, favouring ledges and tight corridors that players usually avoid for fear of being wall-stunned or thrown off. Well, remember when I said that effects like stagger and unbalanced didn't work? Yeah. Throw one into a wall, launch your guaranteed attack and parried... Try to GB one, they'll attack after your GB hits, and you can't defend since you're locked into the GB... Add hits through block on such a scale that many of them didn't even bother changing guard and the ability to get out of combos (since you know, no stagger). And the matches became long cutscenes with my character flailing away at enemies that could not care less for my flippantry. Each death resulting in a stream of sorry, sorry, sorry from the opposing player. These guys know what they're doing, and that it's wrong.

I don't know what kind of technique they use to exploit what kind of weakness in the game. But this is unacceptable.
Also, i am well aware that lowering my nat type from green to yellow would not allow me to Matchmake with red nat players (which still doesn't explain why players off all three nat types can be found in the same game). This is also unacceptable. As a player with a connection that is apparently better and more stable than most of the forum-writing community's I should not have to cripple my own internet connection to be able to play a AAA game released in 2017.

If you are a player that uses recording software, turn that on, queue up for dominion and prepare your anus. Give the devs the data they crave so badly.

Aarpian
09-27-2017, 12:17 PM
Most are the red disconnect symbol. This is the first time I've seen that one in the game, and suddenly multiple people with that symbol, in the same game, several games in a row... coincidence?
Probably not. Sounds like your internet is ****ed mate.

Halvtand
09-27-2017, 02:26 PM
Probably not. Sounds like your internet is ****ed mate.

Thank you for obviously not reading the whole post before replying.

Charmzzz
09-27-2017, 02:48 PM
Thank you for obviously not reading the whole post before replying.

Well, if you never had problems with your connection, then suddenly on one day you experience this behavior in all of your matches with all your enemies, and nobody else reports this in the forum, the chances are pretty high that it really was your own connection.

I have never experienced this behavior in the form you describe it. Sometimes there are laggy games, but when the host is sh*t and my enemies are lagging - I could hit them through their guard as well.

felor_metlock
09-27-2017, 03:24 PM
Actually I've been experiencing similar things, where it will lag for just a few moments but majority of the game is fine.

Halvtand
09-27-2017, 04:04 PM
Well, if you never had problems with your connection, then suddenly on one day you experience this behavior in all of your matches with all your enemies, and nobody else reports this in the forum, the chances are pretty high that it really was your own connection.

So my connection, which so far, in any game, have not caused any problems, is causing my opponents connections to be so poor that they display as red disconnect.
Furthermore my connection, which is green, is also causing my enemies to drastically change their tactics to something which normal players would never do. That's some coordination we're talking about.
We're not done yet, my connection is also giving my opponents all the benefits of having a bad connection, which is contrary to what we've seen written on this very forum when it comes to tweaking.
It also happened to be that I managed to play with the most honest and polite of the FH-players which were considerate enough to apologize after each kill, since they obviously knew it was my connection that caused their victory.

Yes, I see what you mean. It must've been my otherwise stable connection that is at fault and not in any way the tweaks and exploits available to less honest players, some of which have been written on this very forum, albeit for use in the dueling mode. Obviously that can't work in 4v4, right? Maybe you could accept that for this to be the fault of my connection, or for that matter computer it opens up many holes that need to be filled. How does my connection make theirs bad? If my connection is the bad one, why do they get the typical behaviour associated with a bad connection? Why would players who aren't doing anything wrong at all display the typical behaviour of players who do? Can't be an exploit... Can't be.
Do I sound sarcastic? Good, maybe then you'll realise how absurd your claim is.

Why doesn't everyone write about this?
Look at the forum-posting community. It's pretty much the same 10-20 names over and over again. A vast majority doesn't write on the forum, which is why I feel like I must, otherwise this kind of behaviour won't be acknowledged before it's so common that people start screaming for nerfs.

We know that there are players out there manipulating their connection, we know that having a bad connection can give you perks in the game. We know that there are players that are always looking for ways to gain an edge and some easy kills, because playing the game isn't as important as winning it. We know that stuff like this happens all the time, and yet for some reason, when someone makes this kind of stuff known to the community it's always "Nah, obviously your own fault". Maybe accept that this is a fact, maybe accept that people like that also can have friends and play together.

Someone has found a way to manipulate their connection to get controlled lag and told some friends and they all went online this morning to try it out. Far-fetched, I know, but maybe it's just crazy enough to work.

Aarpian
09-27-2017, 04:29 PM
Someone has found a way to manipulate their connection to get controlled lag and told some friends and they all went online this morning to try it out. Far-fetched, I know, but maybe it's just crazy enough to work.

Apparently not as far fetched as your internet being a bit ****ty recently.

"How does my connection make theirs bad?"
It's peer to peer. It's not showing "their connection", it's showing your connection TO them. If the connection is bad, that could be either you or them. If everybody is showing as red, then the only common denominator is you.
Occam's Razor - your internet is playing up.

gj4063
09-27-2017, 04:43 PM

*BZZZZzzzzzz*

Awww, we have a loser, Bob.

Sorry about that...what's the consolation prize, Jim?

Well, since WOT and Overwatch performed flawlessly this morning, the loser gets a life time supply of sh*tty Ubip2p netcode!

Aarpian
09-27-2017, 04:46 PM
*BZZZZzzzzzz*

Awww, we have a loser, Bob.

Sorry about that...what's the consolation prize, Jim?

Well, since WOT and Overwatch performed flawlessly this morning, the loser gets a life time supply of sh*tty Ubip2p netcode!

Whatever helps you sleep at night buddy.

Halvtand
09-27-2017, 05:30 PM
Apparently not as far fetched as your internet being a bit ****ty recently.

"How does my connection make theirs bad?"
It's peer to peer. It's not showing "their connection", it's showing your connection TO them. If the connection is bad, that could be either you or them. If everybody is showing as red, then the only common denominator is you.

Wrong, it is showing their incoming connection to me, not my outgoing connection. Otherwise every other player would always show up as having the same connection as mine. Ie, since my connection is green everyone would be green, if my connection was red everone's would show the same. Redundant information, it will always be the same at what you see in the top left when you log in. Their connection to me, however, can be any type that the game allows for.

Occam's razor, please explain, as thoroughly as you can, how "a few friends are playing together while using exploits" is a more complex and technical explanation for this phenomena than "somehow, this connection that has worked flawlessly until the time in question was causing other connections to go bad, changed the personalities of the people using those connections and still did not display any symptom of actually being a bad connection. Then it magically fixed itself".
Network structures simply doesn't work like that

I get it, it's a thing in this community to taunt the player who's having issues, git gud and all that. If only the game's structure could be at fault...

UbiNoty
09-28-2017, 12:03 AM
This does seem to be a bit of an odd case.
Are you still experiencing games where you're against whole groups of red NAT players? Did any of your teammates see/notice the same problem? (I understand it can be harder to communicate on console so if you didn't ask that's fine).

This is the first time i've seen a report like this on the forums, so it's difficult for me to guage whether it's an external issue or maybe something specific to your system/setup.
So more importantly, did you send in a report to support (https://support.ubi.com/en-us/Games/4315)? If you report it to support, at least we can collect some info and then send it up to the devs for review.

Halvtand
10-02-2017, 10:02 AM
This does seem to be a bit of an odd case.
Are you still experiencing games where you're against whole groups of red NAT players? Did any of your teammates see/notice the same problem? (I understand it can be harder to communicate on console so if you didn't ask that's fine).

This is the first time i've seen a report like this on the forums, so it's difficult for me to guage whether it's an external issue or maybe something specific to your system/setup.
So more importantly, did you send in a report to support (https://support.ubi.com/en-us/Games/4315)? If you report it to support, at least we can collect some info and then send it up to the devs for review.

I do not experience this on such a wide scale any more, no. It was just a wave of it that morning, I'd say for an hour or so, then things got back to pretty much normal. But since then i have noticed a lot more people with red NAT and the disconnect symbol than before. Have not encountered whole teams with it since then.
As for my teammates i can only assume that they noticed. In one match they actually stopped fighting it and just stayed in spawn like cattle, waiting to get killed. It was on PC, but so many people have set chat to off that I no longer expect a reply, so I rarely use the chat myself.
I have sent a report and linked it to this thread. Don't know what it will do, but at least it's there.

Also! Update! A fellow forumer posted the following video in another thread. This is exactly what my game looked like, but in dominion. Just imagine a soldier in the background or something.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/KotoKuraken/video/37254059
Props to KotoKuraken for the video.

RatedChaotic
10-02-2017, 10:55 PM
Youtube videos are popping up showing how to manipulate the P2P in this game for easy wins. Just like in the above video you posted. Its not your connection OP. Its the game and Ubis fault for using P2P. Some people in this thread need to do more research before replying/make assumptions.

We warned you about this in the closed betas..........nuff said.