PDA

View Full Version : Putting the “I” back in “AI”

Estillon
09-26-2017, 05:53 PM
Hello Ubi,

Is the Bot AI being worked on on a regular basis or is it a finished project?

With match-making pitting teams of sub-10's against teams of 50's and up, along with the numerous disconnects, playing against AI is sometimes my only option to enjoy your game. From what I read on the forums, I suspect it is likely the case for many other players.

I'm sure more experienced players used to playing AI could make a better list than mine but here's a few items that always make me shake my head and wonder what piece of code made the bot make a particular choice rather than another:

- Bots running right by a downed ally. Purposefully having a hero out of action for 10 seconds is very seldom the right choice.

- Downed Bot fading away in the middle of a revive. This should never, ever happen. I went out of my way to revive your sorry a**!

- Downed Bot fading away when an ally is within reach and not in active combat. (I'm not a coder but I'm sure certain conditions could be based on proximity.)

- I'm still not sure if Team Commands affect Bots or not. If they don't, they should. They do as I ask so rarely that, when they do, I have to think it's only coincidence. If I'm all by myself in zone A, I don't need the entire team to come and keep me company. I should be able to direct them to zones B or C. Calling for a revive should also have some effect.

- Bot idle in the middle of no where. There's never nothing to do! Go to zone B or boost zones A or C you slacker!

- Bot standing by while I'm being ganked by two or more enemy bots.

- Bot standing beside me while I revive a downed bot. (Looks like its code told it to revive the ally and it won't do anything until the deed is done)

- Bot running away from all objectives (may be to kill that very dangerous lone, stranded minion at the end of the map?). At least allow me to execute it for treason!

- Bot running into an empty enemy zone and running right out of it before taking it.

- Bot running towards an empty enemy zone, looking like it's going to take it, stopping short of the zone, standing idly by for a few seconds, then running off in the opposite direction on some other errand.

- Ally Bot stabbing me repeatedly in the back thinking that their hits will eventually get through me to reach the enemy I'm facing.

Also, in a XvX situation aside from 1v1, why do enemy bots always focus on me? Makes encounters predictable... I can simply turtle-up while my allies chip away at them (if they actually participate that is).

Claudius_Katt
09-27-2017, 02:40 AM
Thats a good list,
One I’d love to add though is that I’d also like to see my AI teammates actually intervene if I’m being executed by an enemy rather than just stand there waiting patiently for the enemy to finish me off.

RatedChaotic
09-27-2017, 05:17 AM
Hello Ubi,

Is the Bot AI being worked on on a regular basis or is it a finished project?

With match-making pitting teams of sub-10's against teams of 50's and up, along with the numerous disconnects, playing against AI is sometimes my only option to enjoy your game. From what I read on the forums, I suspect it is likely the case for many other players.

I'm sure more experienced players used to playing AI could make a better list than mine but here's a few items that always make me shake my head and wonder what piece of code made the bot make a particular choice rather than another:

- Bots running right by a downed ally. Purposefully having a hero out of action for 10 seconds is very seldom the right choice.

- Downed Bot fading away in the middle of a revive. This should never, ever happen. I went out of my way to revive your sorry a**!

- Downed Bot fading away when an ally is within reach and not in active combat. (I'm not a coder but I'm sure certain conditions could be based on proximity.)

- I'm still not sure if Team Commands affect Bots or not. If they don't, they should. They do as I ask so rarely that, when they do, I have to think it's only coincidence. If I'm all by myself in zone A, I don't need the entire team to come and keep me company. I should be able to direct them to zones B or C. Calling for a revive should also have some effect.

- Bot idle in the middle of no where. There's never nothing to do! Go to zone B or boost zones A or C you slacker!

- Bot standing by while I'm being ganked by two or more enemy bots.

- Bot standing beside me while I revive a downed bot. (Looks like its code told it to revive the ally and it won't do anything until the deed is done)

- Bot running away from all objectives (may be to kill that very dangerous lone, stranded minion at the end of the map?). At least allow me to execute it for treason!

- Bot running into an empty enemy zone and running right out of it before taking it.

- Bot running towards an empty enemy zone, looking like it's going to take it, stopping short of the zone, standing idly by for a few seconds, then running off in the opposite direction on some other errand.

- Ally Bot stabbing me repeatedly in the back thinking that their hits will eventually get through me to reach the enemy I'm facing.

Also, in a XvX situation aside from 1v1, why do enemy bots always focus on me? Makes encounters predictable... I can simply turtle-up while my allies chip away at them (if they actually participate that is).

Felt the same. Level difference never bothered me tho. I fought some really bad high rep players before. Some I bet couldnt beat a lvl 2 bot(which was very frequent)

PvP is a resync and disconnect festival for me.Its why I played vs AI all the time. I eventually got bored fighting lvl 1 and 2 bots and just quit playing because lvl 3s never showed up. I was hoping they would fix the exploits and bugs and get servers alot faster than this...... But its too late for me now.....they took too long.

Bots tapping revive instead of holding to complete it. That always pissed me off.

I had a game where all the enemy bots and my bots were stuck in the spawns. I stood on one flag and watched tv til it was over.

Hell my son made a video game in his robotics and technology class and his bots didnt get stuck Yeah it wasnt a complex game but his ai didnt run into walls. I was really impressed. He is now coding and programming his own robot. He laughed at Ubi and said. AI pathways are easy to code. I bet he could fix a few things that Ubi takes forever collecting data on.

You cant fix stupid.

Malyngo
09-27-2017, 07:02 AM
Hell my son made a video game in his robotics and technology class and his bots didnt get stuck Yeah it wasnt a complex game but his ai didnt run into walls. I was really impressed. He is now coding and programming his own robot. He laughed at Ubi and said. AI pathways are easy to code. I bet he could fix a few things that Ubi takes forever collecting data on.

You cant fix stupid.
This is the typical arrogance of youth. Make something easy, and assume it is all easy.
AI getting stuck in For Honor is something that is happening very rarely, and there is something else at work than AI pathways. (in my 65h of playtime, I had it just one single time, and that was after the host has left, so was something with host migration).

If you go past just some AI pathway stuff, that basically comes free with the engine, it gets much more complicated.

Aarpian
09-27-2017, 04:31 PM
Can we leave them stupid? I like how similarly they behave to real players.

UbiNoty
09-28-2017, 12:13 AM
I'll definitely pass this list along to the team! Hopefully seeing some substantial feedback like this will push bot optimization/updates into higher priority with the team.
We usually tend to focus more on bugs with the bots, but I think overall bot improvements would be great to see at some point!

Estillon
09-28-2017, 01:37 PM
Thanks Noty!

Estillon
09-28-2017, 01:40 PM
Oops... Just saw what my post did... Is thanking someone for their input considered an illegal bump?

RatedChaotic
09-28-2017, 02:08 PM
This is the typical arrogance of youth. Make something easy, and assume it is all easy.
AI getting stuck in For Honor is something that is happening very rarely, and there is something else at work than AI pathways. (in my 65h of playtime, I had it just one single time, and that was after the host has left, so was something with host migration).

If you go past just some AI pathway stuff, that basically comes free with the engine, it gets much more complicated.

Ok sure it rarely happens......lmao....I got a few spots that I do it intentionally....The corners of staircases/ladders work the best.

But overall I never said it was easy. I said it would be easy for him because he does all kinds of coding for games and robotics on a daily basis. It just comes easily to some people. He talks to me about the stuff and I sit there like.....huh?

Apparently your more arrogant than I am.

UbiNoty
09-29-2017, 12:17 AM
Oops... Just saw what my post did... Is thanking someone for their input considered an illegal bump?

Nope. When we enforce rules we make judgement calls based on intention. I wouldn't consider this a bump even though technically it's a word one post, but you are neither responding to yourself or doing it out of context. So to me, 100% not a bump. :)

Now if you said thanks randomly to yourself, that might make me take a second look ;p