PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Map Editor?

ducain23
09-24-2017, 03:09 AM
Hey everyone,

As some of yall know... I'm new to Far Cry's Map Editor. I have come from Halo's Forge and I'm loving Far Cry 4's map editor. Even though I have played all the Far Cry games... I didn't try the editor till FC4.

I wanted to ask everyone what is their favorite Far Cry editor to use? I want to try some of the past editors just for fun... so I figured I would ask and see what people say.

Thanks!

GhostWind905
09-24-2017, 03:35 AM
Myself, I think different editors have their pro's and con's. FarCry2 editor was great for creating multiplayer maps. You could choose the type of spawn point you wanted, there was the ability to position spectator camera locations. There were plenty of physics/animated objects. The use of occlusion blocks where you wanted them was also a bonus. The cons were that there was no AI, unless you used a mod, and even then they were stationary. there was no hole tool, or water layers. Farcry 3 implemented the hole tool and water layers.The hole tool allows you to cut a hole into the terrain to create access underneath it, so you don't have to pile a ton of rocks overhead to create a cave. The water layers allow you to create multiple water layers, but they are location locked, so you can't change their dimensions or precise location. Only the altitude and surface appearance of the water layer can be changed. It also implemented side specific AI and animals, but removed the team specific respawn points, in favor of a shared spawn. This caused players to randomly spawn across the map at any spawn point. Many items in the editor were glitchy, and vehicles were dis-included from MP maps. I have only recently experimented in the FarCry4 editor, and much is the same with FarCry3, with the exception of the complete removal of multiplayer in the editor in favor of solo or co-op. There is the ability to adjust gravity and jump height, snow is finally added. There are animation points you can add that cause NPC's to behave depending on the type of animation point. There are new objects, textures, etc.. and the interface is a bit different, but much is the same.

It's hard for me to choose a favorite, since each has their ups and downs, I guess you have to make your own decision. For MP maps, FarCry 2 hands down will always be my favorite. Im not even sure if the servers for that are still active since it was released almost 10 years ago. If it's for SP maps, FarCry 4 might be a slight bit better, but for me there isn't enough difference to have a preference.

Farcryisdead
09-24-2017, 08:18 AM
All the editors are good from Far cry 2 - 4, but fc2 stands out because of the map hosting options. im really enjoying the fc4 map editor at the moment. you can create some awesome visuals in the fc4 map editor. my latest build on fc4 xb1 below.
https://is3wqq.by3301.livefilestore.com/y4mWTahKx1qVkmNtBQVhOvaymxZrQkGe8tzQUB67IeCnCABJyQ koawm9EKJCflEsXeerZj93vBoatHJpAn3SfOAheM16SCDhd5yM imGm9pZnRaCn3PpleXghj6_vQyc5A79b1iCwJJjqOzB6tLSb-NEPl3FdoXIbpRGgt378AarvF1AXM0v3z36ZWvu8gL8YZwBvVeB OfCEimtNVHJ8p_anXw?width=1920&height=1080&cropmode=none

akilyoung
09-24-2017, 01:57 PM
THey are all the same from FC2 on up, they just added more features with each iteration.

Fallen-Champ
09-24-2017, 04:00 PM
Far Cry Instincts Predator had the best Multiplayer Modes and you could place 12 vehicles in any one map, also had weapon & health placement and ziplines that stretched to the length you wanted so for me those things were really cool.

Far Cry 2 had some very cool explosives, the multiplayer modes were good, it also had more breakable objects than any of the other Far Cry games for using the editor (disappointing that you could only place 6 vehicles in a map and they damages easily) water looked like crap but the fire spreading was excellent.
Also the map time of day would change as you are playing - The colonial set . theme was very popular and I have to say that some amazing creations were made with Far Cry 2
This was an African Setting
On Console you can still play FC2 multiplayer but on PC I can't figure it out - think the servers are gone.

Far Cry 3 had some superb themes I loved the Chinese theme but items especially on console had an awful draw distance, the spawns were all shared so you could not dictate where a team would spawn after their 1st initial spawn.
I also liked the containers and it brought in the Terrain Hole tool and Water Layers - Problem was the multiplayer was cack and and it was a mess trying to host your multiplayer maps - FC3 also had some pretty cool lighting. It had very few explosives and even less breakable items - was very disappointing in that area.
Far Cry 3 kept the Tropical Setting so palm trees and stuff.
No vehicles in FC3 Multiplayer.

The original Far Cry was by Crytek I didn't get to use that editor which was on PC only, I believe it allowed mods and was a lot of fun.

C0MMANDERC0LS0N
09-24-2017, 04:15 PM
EA's Skate 3 actually has a really solid "Park" (map) editor.

ducain23
09-24-2017, 10:53 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I figured FC4 is the best overall... but I just wanted to try some of the older ones for fun :)

akilyoung
09-25-2017, 02:09 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I figured FC4 is the best overall... but I just wanted to try some of the older ones for fun :)

Yeah, but just wait till the FC5 IGE....they are taking their time on this, and I imagine itll be by FAR the best one yet...Youll never look back at previous iterations! I imagine they are really paying attention to the feedback here and trying to implement things we are talking about over the past couple years.

C0MMANDERC0LS0N
09-25-2017, 08:58 PM
While yes, even us in the Halo community are aware that most maps look similar, Halo is legions beyond Farcry when it comes to actually creating your own geometry, (Structures, borders and barriers, and Buildings primarily) something that Farcry doesn't feature as much. What if I want to make a parking garage in the middle of New York city? Easy in Halo, considering the amount of simple geometric objects. In Farcry though? Kinda difficult to make a full scale geometric specific structure like such, especially on console. Give Halo Farcry's terrain and foliage options, and give Farcry Halo's geometric optimization and pallet, and both editors would become much stronger.

GhostWind905
09-25-2017, 10:50 PM
The farcry editor has always needed basic snappable geometric building blocks. Different shapes and sizes, such as long, short, thin, conical, radial as well as different colors. Having all sides with visible faces, and no protruding occlusion mesh. It is annoying when I stack parts above a playable area and the occlusion mesh interferes with the FOV. I then have to waste time looking for a similar object that won't cause the walls, floor, etc to briefly dissappear.

Farcryisdead
09-29-2017, 09:26 AM
Fingers crossed that far cry 5 will be our favorite map editor :)

TRASH85
10-02-2017, 02:29 AM
u really need to look at some of the fc maps they r so much better than forge ..........not just the maps but the editor itself !! we have been seriously **** on by ubi and i tried forge but still no comparison fc hands down best console map editor ever

Farcryisdead
10-02-2017, 11:20 AM
u really need to look at some of the fc maps they r so much better than forge ..........not just the maps but the editor itself !! we have been seriously **** on by ubi and i tried forge but still no comparison fc hands down best console map editor ever

I agree about halo forge. this grungy and gritty kabul city afghanistan scene from my MOH far cry 4 map could never be done in forge.
https://is0mkw.by3301.livefilestore.com/y4mq6stlHAie-whSgbjrDx1cZ3M9PPKA-xrznh1kVXHoyPV_3C1m7-MNQBEqDxmbdOXWlJkRdA64yhDsdnqyLnDhE1BLJrBYJ-eSywq2cR04663tk2i9SKsBkPFR1PCVmXg_gwDLYXzlI8m_yKHx SgtuqzYEvTzKi38L03gkK6o_Z-Yq3I5OECioo2JsqQUWFJeDYAVi1K39ymIVoHIO_fNeA?width= 1920&height=1080&cropmode=none