PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed: WW1 (Awkwardness)

sniper arrow117
09-22-2017, 11:16 PM
Considering pretty much all country's fought in ww1 what would it of been like if an English assassin met a German Assassin, in one way I think the assassin vs Templar war is a much bigger deal for the assassins and templars than ww1 but on the other hand if it was a very patriotic soldier would he kill his fellow German assassin or leave him. (I was also going to say about a British Templar and a British assassin meeting but as soon as they knew about each other's alligences they would just kill each other anyway).

HDinHB
09-23-2017, 01:07 AM
Project Legacy did describe the meeting of a British officer (Assassin) and German officer (Templar) during the Christmas Truce of 1914:
http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Holidays:_Chapter_1_-_Ghosts_of_Christmas_Past

Assassins and Templars both tend to think beyond governments, so I think loyalty to their respective causes would outweigh any feelings of patriotism. More likely, I can see (Templars especially) playing both sides of a war against each other to further their own ends. We've seen that is some of the games, as well as the more traditional proxy wars where each faction backs opposite sides.

http://i.imgur.com/4bNL8c2.png

VestigialLlama4
09-27-2017, 12:24 AM
Considering pretty much all country's fought in ww1 what would it of been like if an English assassin met a German Assassin, in one way I think the assassin vs Templar war is a much bigger deal for the assassins and templars than ww1 but on the other hand if it was a very patriotic soldier would he kill his fellow German assassin or leave him. (I was also going to say about a British Templar and a British assassin meeting but as soon as they knew about each other's alligences they would just kill each other anyway).

Well you know, there were Germans opposed to World War I...they are known to history as Communists/Anarchists/ some Social Democrats (others supported the war) and others. So you can have an Assassin be a German and not be on board with the war...because that kind of patriotism wasn't shared by everyone. Having said all that, that patriotism was the vast majority, so it would not do to have an Assassin be a popular figure among Germans in this time.

World War I was a war of empires...and Imperial Germany was an empire.It's much bigger than it is now, but Imperial Germany included parts of modern-day Poland, and Poles living there were treated as second-class citizens...and of course you have Jews, some of whom did serve in the Imperial German armed forces but others did not. And of course you have the colonial armies in South West Africa where the Imperial Germans committed a genocide on the Herero people.

The problem of having an Assassin be a German in the early 20th Century, either WW1 or WW2 is that it's almost impossible to paint the man and that society as any kind of good...since this was a deeply toxic society full of horrible people and the citizens were often just as bad as the leaders.

sniper arrow117
09-27-2017, 10:24 PM
Reminded me of the colonial assassins, they think their doing good but their actually not, I always think about the American civil war assassins and how there must of been some tension if there was a patriotic southern assassin against a patriotic northern assassin

strigoi1958
09-27-2017, 10:42 PM
The battle for controlling the world and bringing peace is the greatest battle..... soldiers in the middle of a battle would not leave their trenches and go and join a fist fight in the nearest town because their friends are fighting.... because the battle in the trenches is more important..... the same with the war between Assassins and Templars it is so vastly more important than killing some people from another country. Plus you can be deeply patriotic without killing... even during a war.

If they control the world they stop ALL wars.

VestigialLlama4
09-28-2017, 07:28 PM
I always think about the American civil war assassins and how there must of been some tension if there was a patriotic southern assassin against a patriotic northern assassin

There were patriotic southerners in real life who stayed loyal to the Union rather than dishonorably commit treason by fighting for the South to defend and extend slavery...If by patriotism we mean love for the country and loyalty to the state, then the only real patriots were unionists.

So there could be Southern Assassins opposed to the South just as you had Southerners who were abolitionists, who were loyal to the Union, and who were quite committed to Reconstruction.

Locopells
09-28-2017, 08:40 PM
I wouldn't mind a American Civil War AC, if only for the debunking of the myths round it, as they did with ACIII.

Not to mention pointing out the issues with the US having problems with people committing 'Treason' by wanting independence from a distant power they felt no connection to...

VestigialLlama4
09-29-2017, 08:56 PM
I wouldn't mind a American Civil War AC, if only for the debunking of the myths round it, as they did with ACIII.

Not to mention pointing out the issues with the US having problems with people committing 'Treason' by wanting independence from a distant power they felt no connection to...

I have no idea what you are talking about, but if there is a myth to debunk about the American Civil War it is precisely the Lost Cause of the Confederacy...

The American Civil War was entirely about slavery. The Confederates fought a war because they lost a democratic election fair-and-square, and they wanted to defend a slave society, and possibly expand slavery across Latin America.

An AC game about the American Civil War would have the Confederates as the Bad Guy, and the Union as the Good Guys. Now whether the Confederates are Rogue Templars...or if they are a Sage Faction that Assassins and Templars on the Union side oppose, is an entirely different situation but fundamentally, Ubisoft cannot make an AC game where you have morally complex Confederate Southerners and be true to history. You can have Southerners who fought for the Union which did exist and who do deserve to be highlighted, but you can no more have an Assassin be a Confederate than you can have an Assassin be a Nazi.

It's very dangerous to subscribe to what is called the Golden Mean Fallacy or the idea that all wars are morally complex or gray things or that both sides in any conflict are inherently going to have their points. Real bad guys in history have used that to dodge responsibility and escape justice. So whether it's the Confederacy, whether it's Imperial Germany who dodged their responsibility for World War I, or the Clean Wehrmacht of the Nazi Germany whose responsibility and active involvement in war crimes in the USSR were downplayed because everyone was quite keen to buy the idea that "not all Germans/Kaisers/Southerners" were that bad...

The reality is that a good portion of the populace and the army really were that bad...

Locopells
09-29-2017, 09:07 PM
Eh, I'm not gonna drag us further off topic here, it was just a passing comment on one factor of the conflict.

x_Vex_x
10-03-2017, 01:37 AM
Assassins and Templar's both do not have allegiances to governments or countries, but they may use them to further their means.