PDA

View Full Version : Will dedicated severs help with... (ubi question)

DrinkinMehStella
09-21-2017, 11:35 AM
I just curious if dedicated servers willl help with latency issues on console. My console and Tv setup is optimised for gaming but I still hit so much latency issues, missing CGB and blocks and parries, my biggest problem is with the CGB I press square quickly when I see the GB but still sometimes it doesn't register even though I pressed it as soon as it appeared on my screen, I know the CGB window is very small but I find myself having to guess when they are going for the GB, so will dedicated servers help with latency?

DrinkinMehStella
09-21-2017, 01:23 PM
I know you say don't bump but bump for ubi to respond?

D-d0g56
09-21-2017, 04:18 PM
When you say TV setup, are you using a monitor? IMO using a monitor with a 1ms response time is the only way to account for lag in For Honor on console.

DrinkinMehStella
09-21-2017, 04:54 PM
Im using a tv which I have optimised for gaming which apparently reduces quality to increase ms, I didn't know is the dedicated servers will help towards this

Tyrjo
09-21-2017, 06:26 PM
Game mode on TVs vary greatly depending on what model of TV you have, and not to forget how old it is. Game mode on a five year old TV may be noticeably worse compared to a newer TV.

DoctorMcBatman
09-21-2017, 06:40 PM
Doesn't "Game Mode" and the other modes on TVs/monitors just simply change the coloration/brightness/contrast/etc.? I don't think they affect the display's manufactured attributes. (if I'm wrong, let me know)

UbiNoty
09-21-2017, 11:49 PM
Dedicated servers are more for network stability and improved connectivity - basically anything related to P2P issues. So there should be no more resyncing, or migrating session hosts. No more random drops due to the session falling through, or mass cascading disconnects on all sides. It should also help with the 0000167 errors where latency between players becomes too high - but that latency is more in regards to P2P and not the latency between you, you console, and the visual output (TV). So I don't know how much it will help there. I do think it can improve inherent latency from the P2P system, but in DS you also run the risk of more lag based on physical distance from the servers and how well your signals are getting sent/processed.

Overall, I think it should be an improvement for most players and address the stability issues - but if you're most worried about console latency issues, I have heard that a monitor instead of a TV may help. But seeing as your TV is optimized for gaming, I'm not quite sure if there will be a big difference.

Kliftheone
09-25-2017, 02:05 AM
Even if you have a great TV for gaming and have it in PC/gaming mode and it is as low as 20MS, you have your controller and internet hardwired you will still feel the difference when going to a 1MS monitor.

And most TV`s even in gaming mode have about 40-80 MS if they are 55" +. The more expensive TVs that has really good options for this is usually around 20, with the best going down to 10MS. But, as I`ve said most TVs even in gaming mode have 40MS +

Tyrjo
09-25-2017, 08:37 AM
Doesn't "Game Mode" and the other modes on TVs/monitors just simply change the coloration/brightness/contrast/etc.? I don't think they affect the display's manufactured attributes. (if I'm wrong, let me know)

"Game mode" usually removes all image processing features a TV has, making the TV display the image faster after it received the signal.

dj.unam
09-25-2017, 09:21 AM
Even if you have a great TV for gaming and have it in PC/gaming mode and it is as low as 20MS, you have your controller and internet hardwired you will still feel the difference when going to a 1MS monitor.

And most TV`s even in gaming mode have about 40-80 MS if they are 55" +. The more expensive TVs that has really good options for this is usually around 20, with the best going down to 10MS. But, as I`ve said most TVs even in gaming mode have 40MS +

+1 Here!

Got a 2000€ Samsung 4k 55" TV.
Switched to a BenQ Zowie Gaming Monitor and just Using the Wired Nacon Revolution Pro Controller.

Difference like Day and Night.

Speaking as an IT Guy, Dedicated Servers wont help with your Input Lag.
I'm still very concerned about the switch to Servers.
Bcs, like UbiNoty said, they WILL Increase your Lag based on physical Distance to the Servers.
This, in a reaction intense Game like FH, will be able to Kill it in its entirety....

DrinkinMehStella
09-25-2017, 10:54 AM
Dedicated servers are more for network stability and improved connectivity - basically anything related to P2P issues. So there should be no more resyncing, or migrating session hosts. No more random drops due to the session falling through, or mass cascading disconnects on all sides. It should also help with the 0000167 errors where latency between players becomes too high - but that latency is more in regards to P2P and not the latency between you, you console, and the visual output (TV). So I don't know how much it will help there. I do think it can improve inherent latency from the P2P system, but in DS you also run the risk of more lag based on physical distance from the servers and how well your signals are getting sent/processed.

Overall, I think it should be an improvement for most players and address the stability issues - but if you're most worried about console latency issues, I have heard that a monitor instead of a TV may help. But seeing as your TV is optimized for gaming, I'm not quite sure if there will be a big difference.

thanks, thats the answer I was looking for.

Charmzzz
09-25-2017, 10:55 AM
Speaking as an IT Guy, Dedicated Servers wont help with your Input Lag.
I'm still very concerned about the switch to Servers.
Bcs, like UbiNoty said, they WILL Increase your Lag based on physical Distance to the Servers.
This, in a reaction intense Game like FH, will be able to Kill it in its entirety....

Well, FPS games and MOBA's are reaction intense as well and they use dedicated Servers without alot of issues. P2P is just a way to cut down costs, because let's face it realistically: how is the lag between players lower than the lag to a Server that "could" have higher distance but has a much better Uplink and stands in a Datacenter where alot of Carriers are connected to?

In the old Quake 3 days I played only on dedicated Servers, and even when they were located in Sweden/Finnland/Norway I had a Ping of <50ms from Germany. Datacenters are, commonly, connected via fibre. Speed of light, you know. ;)

mrmistark
09-25-2017, 12:40 PM
Honestly with how long it's taken Ubisoft to make changes and iron them out (not trying to knock them, they have made night and day changes since the game came out) I am skeptical that dedicated servers will help, at least for the first few months it is released. They may make the connectivity more stable but I personally feel there will be more lag much like there is in games like call of duty and battlefield. I personally other than a few and far between migration and making a party, connectivity has been almost perfect for me for a while. It's sad to say, but honestly the majority of the games players will never be happy. This player base is so split in everything they want and do. Honor, no honor, buff this, no it's already too strong, I can't even play a game, I haven't had a problem with connectivity in months. You really have to give them credit, sorting through all the bs and trying to find the right fixes instead of crowd pleasing everyone must be a real pain. That's why they always ask for more data. They take a lot of crap, but you all got to give them credit honestly.