PDA

View Full Version : AC IV: Black Flag - X-Ray vision... WHY!?

Camemberto
09-20-2017, 08:03 AM
How come every new Ubisoft "stealth" game comes with X-Ray vision? (seeing enemies through walls after they have been detected)

It annoyed the crap out of me in WD2 in is one of the reasons I dropped that game for now.
I just recently got AC Black Flag during a sale and came to realize, that X-Ray vision is even worse in this game. Not only does it show the silhouettes, but the complete model. And it's glowing red as well? WTF!

If you are going to introduce a see-through-walls-mechanic into every god damned game, that cannot be turned off, then at least make it look a little less dumb, or make it only visible in Eagle-Vision please. This kills the immersion entirely!

I haven't touched Unity or Syndicate yet, but if they have X-Ray vision as well, I will personally take a huge dump on the doormat of whomever came up with this idea in the first place!

strigoi1958
09-20-2017, 10:38 AM
It is a sense that assassins have because they are hybrid humans..... it is also optional so you do not ever need to use it if you do not want to use it. Just like anything else in any other game, It has been in lots of games like Batman (inspection mode), Shadow of Mordor (wraith vision) Deus Ex (eye augmentation) Styx, etc.....

Playing the game and not using it does not affect you if others use it. It does not need turning off if you do not activate it in the first place. It is no different from any tool or weapon in any other game that we are not forced to use.

Batman has a cape, it can be used as a weapon, but if I don't like capes and do not want to use it as a weapon I can choose to not use it I shouldn't ask Warner Bros to remove it... it is a part of Batman, just as eagle vision is to assassins

Camemberto
09-20-2017, 10:59 AM
I am not referring to the L3 triggered eagle vision. I am talking about the ability to see guards through walls after looking at them for too long while in eagle vision. And you will see them through walls even without eagle vision activated. That is what annoys me.

I will still sometimes need to use the eagle vision to figure something else out or am forced to use it by the game.
I know this is an AC Forum and not WD2 or FC3 or 4 but it's even worse there.. It literally cannot be NOT used.

It's like having autoaim in a shooter, that cannot be turned off. Your fix would be to just stop using weapons if you don't like autoaim.

An option to turn those things off would be widely appreciated and wouldn't harm anyone, who would still like to use them.

strigoi1958
09-20-2017, 05:39 PM
oh you mean tagged enemies. Well I see no problem being able to turn it off. But I'm guessing most people like tagging as it is a feature in many games.

Camemberto
09-21-2017, 07:21 AM
oh you mean tagged enemies. Well I see no problem being able to turn it off. But I'm guessing most people like tagging as it is a feature in many games.

For me it just makes the game too easy and breaks the immersion. I feel there's no real tension to stealth, if I know for a fact where everyone is at any given time. And to make matters worse, it looks really stupid. I think it should have been done so that you can only see enemies through walls while in eagle-vision-mode. It would make a lot more sense and add something to the gameplay as well.

Go into eagle vision, to scout out the tagged enemies, remember their locations -> make a run for it (during which you will not see them through walls)... It's a choice then.

strigoi1958
09-21-2017, 11:56 AM
It does not break immersion because it is a feature that works as it is supposed to work. It might break your level of fun but that is different. It is a feature of the game that you do not enjoy. In AC games we never go back in to history, we are in the present in a machine. The machine allows us to access memories through DNA and we play through them almost like a machine generated dream. The machine (the animus) interprets the ability and displays it as it thinks it should... so anything the machine shows us in the dream (memory) is supposed to be there.

It only becomes immersion breaking if we think we are actually back in time and have no abilities whatsoever. It is an assassin ability if it makes the game too easy I see no reason why it cannot be turned off but lots of people like it. There are many ways to make the game more difficult for yourself. You can limit the number of times you use eagle vision in a mission, you can try to limit the number of kills in a mission to 3 or 5 or 10... you can choose to not use any ranged weapons in a mission or only the hidden blade, I have played Unity missions and chose only kills from above and cover kills.... so when discovered I had to use smoke bombs to get away. If you choose to make it more difficult for yourself like this, it makes no difference if the enemies are tagged or not... :)